Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-10-2009, 12:47 PM   #16
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura, Nexus 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
Really?

I thought I read somewhere that he was the first historian to actually go back to original sources, and that as a result his work is the next best thing (to original sources--in contrast with earlier histories where people are reporting on people reporting what other people reported that yet other people said/did/saw).

Having said that, his opinionatedness does not surprise me... but is it really so bad as to negate the (supposed) value of the underlying research?

- Ahi
He was an exceptional historian for his time but Classicists no longer read him for his history (at least in my experience). Archaeology was still very primitive in Gibbon's day so he used mainly textual sources, although to be fair to him he did visit battle-fields and the like.

He is especially poor on the Byzantine Empire. John Julius Norwich has a three volume work on that subject if you want a better account of the 'Eastern' Roman Empire.

His main theory that Christianity was a prime factor in the collapse of the Empire is generally disputed today.

The Roman Empire by Colin Wells and The Later Roman Empire by Averil Cameron are good 'beginner' modern histories of some of the period covered by Gibbon.
corroonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:52 PM   #17
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thanks, corroonb.

Is the PG edition (David Widger as editor, and Henry Hart Milman as commentator) supposed to be one of the better ones?

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2009, 12:54 PM   #18
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corroonb View Post
I imagine a paperback version will be either abridged or in multiple volumes and in both cases have very small print indeed.
I finder if it will exceed Aquinas' Summa Theologica in page numbers as a 6" sized PDF eBook. If so, hopefully not by too much.

- Ahi
Old 09-10-2009, 01:07 PM   #19
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura, Nexus 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
Thanks, corroonb.

Is the PG edition (David Widger as editor, and Henry Hart Milman as commentator) supposed to be one of the better ones?

- Ahi
I have no idea. The edition I have is the Everyman text edited by the Folio Society's choice of editor (Betty Radice). I suspect the Everyman edition by Hugh-Trevor Roper is the standard edition. The PG text looks pretty good though.
corroonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:09 PM   #20
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
There is a version here on MobileRead that lacks the footnotes. It can be found here.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2009, 01:11 PM   #21
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
If you are looking for a good history involving the Roman Empire, I highly recommend Spartacus War by Barry Strauss. I'm just about finished with it in hardcover pbook version, but the link I provided here is to an ebook version at Fictionwise.

Reading this book helps clarify the difficulties with ancient histories. However, the story of Spartacus remains a great historical thriller.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:19 PM   #22
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
There is a version here on MobileRead that lacks the footnotes. It can be found here.
Thanks, but, alas, I want to read it with the footnotes.

That's alright though... shouldn't be too hard to put together.

- Ahi
Old 09-10-2009, 03:13 PM   #23
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Ick. Footnotes and ebooks don't play well together. I started The Canterbury Tales, but it was such a mess that it was perfectly useless. It looks OK on the PC.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:25 PM   #24
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Ick. Footnotes and ebooks don't play well together. I started The Canterbury Tales, but it was such a mess that it was perfectly useless. It looks OK on the PC.
My own PDF eBooks ought to be able to deal tolerably--if not downright pleasantly--with footnotes.

- Ahi
Old 09-11-2009, 01:23 AM   #25
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
I am reading a paper version with the footnotes and the ebook version from this site at the same time. I actually prefer the version without footnotes.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:23 AM   #26
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
I am reading a paper version with the footnotes and the ebook version from this site at the same time. I actually prefer the version without footnotes.
It shall be a trifling to suppress the footnotes. I shall be sure to make a version like that when I am generating the eBooks.

- Ahi
Old 09-14-2009, 01:56 PM   #27
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
You could download PDFs from Google and OCR them with a good program (i.e. Finereader). The results will likely be better than the PG version which dates from 1997.
Here's one version of Vol I.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:00 PM   #28
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
You could download PDFs from Google and OCR them with a good program (i.e. Finereader). The results will likely be better than the PG version which dates from 1997.
Thanks, igorsk! Has OCR become that good?

- Ahi
Old 09-14-2009, 02:37 PM   #29
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post

Igorsky, how does the Google Epub OCR conversion stack up to Finereader's?

Would it be easier to clean up Google's version or Finereader's?
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:45 PM   #30
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Igorsky, how does the Google Epub OCR conversion stack up to Finereader's?

Would it be easier to clean up Google's version or Finereader's?
I have this notion in my head...

What about taking a given document, OCR-ing it with at least 3 or more different OCR programs, and then parallel parsing them character by character (perhaps now and then making and adjustment, if one of the streams is out of line do to an erroneously detect additional character) and always putting the character into the output stream that the (most) OCR-d texts agree on.

Obviously this won't help with anything that the various OCR programs get wrong in the same way... but it might minimize the amount of clean-up to be done thereafter.

How realistic is such an approach? Anybody here tried it before?

- Ahi