Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-02-2009, 07:39 PM   #1
rguion
Zealot
rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Unhappy New Sony Reader 505 -- keep or return for new model?

I've been longing for a digital ebook reader for the past year. I finally decided last week to buy the Sony Reader 505. What pushed me over the edge for the Sony was finding the Calibre program and knowing that it could transfer/re-format my LIT files over to the Sony device. I have many books in this format. The Calibre program works like a charm.

I bought the Sony Reader 505 at Costco for $269--it came bundled with the AC Adapter, which I thought would be good on trips. So far, I am delighted with the device.

Now after buying it, I read about the forthcoming Sony Reader 300 and 600 devices here on MobileRead--the day after the older model arrived!

I could return the 505 back to Costco and get the new 300 device. If it's true that one is $199, I'd save $70. Besides the price, I can't see any other advantage...other than faster page turns, maybe?

What do you think I should do? Return the 505 to Costco or keep it?
rguion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:47 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rguion View Post
I could return the 505 back to Costco and get the new 300 device. If it's true that one is $199, I'd save $70. Besides the price, I can't see any other advantage...other than faster page turns, maybe?
I agree. The PRS-300 is a 505 clone with a smaller screen and no memory expansion. There is a huge installed base of PRS-505's, so keeping the 505 is safe. The PRS-600, for $30 more than your 505, would give you more capability (5 font sizes, PDF zoom, a dictionary) assuming that the touch screen does not effect screen clarity too much this time.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2009, 07:57 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I think you should keep it The 505 is still a great device. You can always change your mind later by selling your 505 on ebay (and probably get a good price for it) and buying a 300 or 600 later.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:14 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I'd say keep it. The only apparent advantage in the 300 is that it'll be a bit more portable and it does hold (approximately) 350 books vs 160 on the 505
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:28 PM   #5
richman
Addict
richman is on a distinguished road

Device: sony prs-505 *BLUE*,itouch,netbook
Gee, that's a hard decision to make. Does anyone know yet if the new sony has faster processor?
We are not sure when it comes out yet. Is it gonna be in next month or on oct 1st.
I think I might return it since you got it for 269. You could pick up the new touch screen one for 299 and it's newer tech.
Now I picked up the 505 for 150 on sony deal , so for me I wouldn't return it for newer 5 or 6 inch model.
I understand your conflicted feelings. What type of return policy does costco have on a device like this, if you have a few months , you can hold on to it and return it if the new models get rave reviews. If I bought it from costco I would hold onto everything, box, and everything and return it. I could be that the new models are not as good. The 505 turned out to be BETTER than the 700. And we don't know if sony cut corners on new models. We don't know.
richman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2009, 09:49 PM   #6
Sheikspeare
Groupie
Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PR-505 / Kindle DX
The 505 is a serious piece of kit that gets to the heart of what an eReader is designed to deliver: portability, clarity, simplicity and if you like style. I bought a DX recently and have no intention of giving up the 505.
Sheikspeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:00 PM   #7
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I'd keep it - the 505 is a good reader, and whilst the internal memory on the new reader is larger, the 505 has both an SD slot and a memory stick slot.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:12 PM   #8
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Keep the 505 --- it's a great reader. The 300 and 600 are still unknown quantities. For instance, will the screen on the 600 look as nice as the 505 or will it resemble the 700?
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:28 PM   #9
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Someone would need to pry my 505 from my cold dead hands
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:47 PM   #10
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I'd keep the 505. The 300 won't have a card reader and we don't know what the screen will look like.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:37 PM   #11
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
I'd keep your 505. After owning the 505 and seeing how the 300 is a step down, I'm glad I bought the 505 when I did and can't see myself ever getting rid of it. It's a great device and as you can see, many 505 owners are very attached to them, even if they own other reading devices, as I do.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:04 AM   #12
rguion
Zealot
rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Thanks to all who replied--your advice is much appreciated! Since I really like the 505, and you pointed out that the 300 has no memory card support, I'm keeping it.

The touch screen on the discontinued 700 and the new 600 does not really appeal to me that much. The side buttons on the 505 work very well for me.
rguion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:05 PM   #13
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Costco has a 90 day return policy on electronics, so why not keep it at least for a while?

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 02:19 PM   #14
sfstino
sfstino began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505
hi all
this is my first post, after keeping up with you all for some time - half of the fun of reading ebooks, I've come to realize, just might be following the comments posted on here!

Now, I just recently purchased the 505 from costco, as well, and am also considering returning it for either the 600 or the ez reader pro. I havent made that decision yet.

I would suggest to the OP to get a price adjustment. When I purchased the 505 from costco, which was a little over a week ago, the price had dropped to $199, for the same kit.

Personally, I will wait until the very last minute I can return it to make that tough decision.

sfstino
sfstino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:04 PM   #15
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This might be a bit off topic but I was wondering if the 505 is sold at the actual warehouse or only on Costco online? I saw the 500 there awhile back but never a 505.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote