Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-10-2008, 02:48 PM   #1
sarahw2275
Connoisseur
sarahw2275 began at the beginning.

I Missed out on getting a PRS 700 :(

I'm desperately trying to get my hands on a PRS 700, but can't buy from the Sony Store as I'm in the UK and obviously they don't ship here! I've been bidding on one on ebay but I wasn't quick enough and the auction closed before I got my increased bid in! It went for $512 in the end.
I need two, one's for a gift for my mum so I was willing to pay over the odds for it, but I want one for myself too as I'm going to sell my 505. I'm hoping ebay will be flooded with them soon as other than B & H I don't know of anywhere else who will ship to the UK I'm willing to wait to get mine (trust me, it's killing me as I have NO patience), but I really want my mum to have hers, it's a special 60th birthday/xmas gift.
After all that rambling on, the point of my post is are there any other options other than B & H who say they're expecting stock this week one minute, then change their minds and say it could be the end of the month! or waiting for someone to sell one on ebay? Are they in stock anywhere else yet?
sarahw2275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:33 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
If you are willing to pay $500 + shipping for each of them I would be happy to buy two and ship em to ya.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2008, 04:04 PM   #3
sarahw2275
Connoisseur

Really? I'm more desperate to get the one that's for my mums gift, and can wait a while for mine, but if you're really willing to get one for me I'll happily pay $500 plus shipping to get hold of one. How soon could you get one?
Old 11-10-2008, 04:11 PM   #4
Ler0y Jenkins
Connoisseur
Ler0y Jenkins doesn't litterLer0y Jenkins doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Never mind.
Ler0y Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:14 PM   #5
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
I might have one. PM.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2008, 04:23 PM   #6
johnnyr
Connoisseur
johnnyr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
I might have one. PM.
Selling yours already Sonist?

I told you that screen was crap
johnnyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:48 PM   #7
sarahw2275
Connoisseur

@Sonist - I just sent you a PM. Thanks for the offer, but it would need to be New & Sealed as it's for a gift.
Thanks for the offer though!
Sarah

@Pilotbob - I sent you a PM
Cheers
Sarah
Old 11-10-2008, 04:52 PM   #8
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hehe, I am still kicking the screen thing around.

I read mostly at night, in bed, and with the Magic Light, I think I can live with it. I bought it late in the day yesterday and by the time I got back to my office, the sun was setting, so I can't really comment knowledgeably on daytime use, although it was a bit dim without bright light.

I am actually considering a slightly larger screen, but the battery life on the iLiad is keeping me from getting one.

Anyway, I was planning to keep it for about a week, to see how it works for me, with my eyes (I don't wear glasses, and I really don't want to start wearing them soon:-)
Old 11-10-2008, 05:00 PM   #9
johnnyr
Connoisseur
johnnyr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Hehe, I am still kicking the screen thing around.

I read mostly at night, in bed, and with the Magic Light, I think I can live with it. I bought it late in the day yesterday and by the time I got back to my office, the sun was setting, so I can't really comment knowledgeably on daytime use, although it was a bit dim without bright light.

I am actually considering a slightly larger screen, but the battery life on the iLiad is keeping me from getting one.

Anyway, I was planning to keep it for about a week, to see how it works for me, with my eyes (I don't wear glasses, and I really don't want to start wearing them soon:-)

What Iliad Model were you looking at?

I would love to get an Iliad, but the cost is what is holding me back.
johnnyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:06 PM   #10
Sonist
Apeist

I need it just for reading, so the Book Edition looks good. But its battery life is supposed to be just over 11 hours, plus it's silver (glare when lit?), plus it has only 64gb of RAM (not enough for stuff like EPUB?) And it's not cheap, and the software is supposed to be buggy:-( But is there anything else with 8" screen?
Old 11-10-2008, 05:52 PM   #11
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
I need it just for reading, so the Book Edition looks good. But its battery life is supposed to be just over 11 hours, plus it's silver (glare when lit?), plus it has only 64gb of RAM (not enough for stuff like EPUB?) And it's not cheap, and the software is supposed to be buggy:-( But is there anything else with 8" screen?
I've tried them all and I keep coming back to the iLiad as my preferred reader due to the slightly larger screen size. It's like reading a hardback book as opposed to a paperback. I'm optimistic that the open source community is going to fix some of the key software issues with the iLiad.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 03:27 PM   #12
sarahw2275
Connoisseur

Thanks to all those who offered to ship one to me, I've now managed to get hold of one, but thanks for all the offers, I appreceiate it.
I'm reading all the reviews of the screen now and I'm hoping I haven't made a huge mistake! I guess I'll just have to see what it's like when it arrives!
Old 11-13-2008, 03:35 PM   #13
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Sarah, I can't see where you are based, from your profile. But, if you are in the UK, then be aware that you are liable for VAT on an imported reader. Parcelforce (or whoever is doing the delivery) might not hand the device over until you've paid.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 06:54 PM   #14
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahw2275 View Post
Thanks to all those who offered to ship one to me, I've now managed to get hold of one, but thanks for all the offers, I appreceiate it.
I'm reading all the reviews of the screen now and I'm hoping I haven't made a huge mistake! I guess I'll just have to see what it's like when it arrives!
You get one great review from me -- I have used the 500 for a year and a half and enjoyed every book I've read on it (it's all I read these days) and I am thoroughly enjoying reading on the 700 as well as enjoying the many enhancements (built-in light, much better user interface, much faster page turns, better coping with huge library, easier navigating in the huge library I have installed, search function, annotation capability, etc.)

I was thinking I had made a huge mistake in ordering one so early on, but when it arrived and I actually saw the screen and read something on it, I realized that we don't all have the same eyes nor the same tastes, and I am very happy with mine.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 01:40 AM   #15
Nammalvar
Enthusiast
Nammalvar is on a distinguished road

Device: iTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey View Post

annotation capability, etc.)
Are you able to upload your annotations (and your highlightings perhaps ?) to your computer ? It would be a major feature for me.
Nammalvar is offline   Reply With Quote