Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-08-2013, 05:41 AM   #22846
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
If a supersonic ultrasonic scream shattered your windows tonight ... it was me! I saw what appeared to be some black thread tangled into a knot lying on the carpet - I'm always finding bits & pieces of cat toys ripped off - so I picked it up to throw away before Stella swallowed it - and watched in horror as legs slowly extended from the "knot" - it was a black spider that had been worked over by Stella cat - and I picked it up! And had to resist the impulse to hurl it away! It was like a horror movie as I watched those legs straighten out!

I slowly walked to the sink without jostling the awakening arachnid and dropped it into the disposal! Then I sank to the floor clutching my chest, sweating up a puddle!

The horror! The horror!

[Off to self-medicate with some single malt!]
Think of it as aversion therapy .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #22847
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
I hate those couple of seconds it takes to determine if the spider is crawling across the outside or inside of the windscreen.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2013, 01:11 PM   #22848
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
I hate those couple of seconds it takes to determine if the spider is crawling across the outside or inside of the windscreen.
Time did slow down amazingly as I watched those legs start to straighten out .... it was just like your worst nightmare of a worst nightmare ... this CAN'T be happening to me!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:18 PM   #22849
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I had a very strange nightmare within a nightmare last night, but I can't share it here because it was R-rated.*

* Rated R for Religion.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #22850
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I had a very strange nightmare within a nightmare last night, but I can't share it here because it was R-rated.*

* Rated R for Religion.
You've got to stop reading all those weird books...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2013, 01:29 PM   #22851
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
You've got to stop reading all those weird books...
Surely you're right. I was indeed reading a religious book before falling asleep. I once fell asleep during a news broadcast about a problem on board the ISS, and the next thing you know I was right there beside the astronauts trying to get the problem fixed.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:49 AM   #22852
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Damn.... You'd think I'd learn by now....
When you live in Thailand, you learn to check all electrical appliances before you leave the store. You make sure ALL the buttons and switches work. Even when you buy light bulbs you test each and every before paying for them. And when I bought the new under-sink Five tank UV water filter, I certainly checked to be sure that the UV lamp worked...
... I should have checked to be sure that they assembled the five tanks correctly. The water connections that "I" installed were nice and dry, but there was water coming out of every single factory made connection! Two of the screw-in water leads could be tightened down TWO FULL REVOLUTIONS with just my finger tips. The metal collar on the UV tank... they forgot to put the pipe tape on that one BESIDES not screwing it down well. I removed it with just my fingers.

No big problem, just a lot of water under the bridge...er... sink. Everything has been reconnected snugly, with Teflon tape on the joints where needed. It's dry again under the sink, the UV check ports are nice an blue telling me the lamp is working which means my electrical installation worked too.

And now we can stop buying bottled water. A 'first' for us in Thailand!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #22853
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
If a supersonic ultrasonic scream ... - it was a black spider... I slowly walked to the sink without jostling the awakening arachnid and dropped it into the disposal! ... The horror! The horror!

[Off to self-medicate with some single malt!]
My spider crop is doing nicely! Every month or so I have an invasion of gnats in my back bathroom. It’s disgusting! The little critters pile up like black snow on my sink. So I cultivated a crop of garden spiders to combat them. Works like a charm, all I have to do is vacuum up the heavily laden spider webs.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #22854
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
You have to edit the registry and manually change it back to IE. The problem is knowing which registry key to edit and to what.

In my case it was extensive Googling to figure out what was happening, and how to fix it.
I remember having that problem, too. It's a nightmare! There are, in fact, multiple locations in the registry that are responsible for determining the default browser. The best solution I came up with is to force a reinstall of Internet Explorer. This did a reset to the default settings and I could work normal again. Just don't ask me how I did that, it's been too long ago.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:31 PM   #22855
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
The best solution it to just say NO! to Chrome.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:12 PM   #22856
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
The best solution it to just say NO! to Chrome.
For the time being, anyway. And not just because of the add-ons they want to install.

From the Huffington Post's Tech section: Google In Hot Water Over Big Security Hole In Chrome.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:35 PM   #22857
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
My spider crop is doing nicely! Every month or so I have an invasion of gnats in my back bathroom. It’s disgusting! The little critters pile up like black snow on my sink. So I cultivated a crop of garden spiders to combat them. Works like a charm, all I have to do is vacuum up the heavily laden spider webs.
Memo to self: Do NOT accept invitations to visit wodin.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:18 AM   #22858
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I'm starting to suspect that DHL doesn't deliver in my area on Mondays anymore. I've now had it happen several times that at first the estimated day of delivery is on a Monday and that DHL later changes it to a Tuesday. Right now I'm waiting for the delivery of an iPod Nano, it's already in Amsterdam and usually orders that are in Amsterdam are delivered to our local DHL the next business day very early in the morning and are delivered the same day.

I suspect it has something to do with the fact that I live in the city centre and a lot of stores are closed in the morning or all day on Monday (especially during the summer holidays) and DHL doesn't believe anyone actually lives in the city centre.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:58 AM   #22859
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
Why do low level CSRs think they have to make up stuff? I got a notice that my student loan trends had changed so I log in and find that, yes, my payments have gone down. The problem? The next payment went up $100 before doing to the new payments. I called in and asked for an explanation and she kept telling me I was interrupting her and to let her explain. I was interrupting, her explanation was rubbish. I let her finish and told her it was a load and to put me through to a supervisor. She kept talking, while agreeing to switch me over but never actually trying to put me through. She accused me of being rude when I pointed out she wasn't letting me talk to a supervisor and, just before disconnecting with me, muttered "sheesh".

I told the supervisor what the girl had said and told her I was being rude, but that she was, as well, and shouldn't make up stories to tell customers. The supervisor looked at my account and said "that isn't the right payment amount, there is a glitch somewhere." So, vindicated on my next payment, at least. She fixed the amount and noted it in file. I think Beatrice was going to get "talked to", as well.

Seriously, to tell someone that, because the company redid my terms, they could raise one payment 'significantly' then lower the rest, without giving warning of such, just doesn't make sense.
mrscoach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #22860
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I'm starting to suspect that DHL doesn't deliver in my area on Mondays anymore. I've now had it happen several times that at first the estimated day of delivery is on a Monday and that DHL later changes it to a Tuesday. Right now I'm waiting for the delivery of an iPod Nano, it's already in Amsterdam and usually orders that are in Amsterdam are delivered to our local DHL the next business day very early in the morning and are delivered the same day.
And, of course, it was delivered this morning. When I expressed my surprise he told me they usually don't deliver on Saturdays but that he had a special delivery and he took other packages waiting to be delivered in my neighbourhood with because he thought it was a waste to let someone else deliver them next week when he was nearby.

I'm happy.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness