Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: Since you have been reading electronic books I have been reading
More 123 72.78%
About the same 43 25.44%
Less 3 1.78%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-30-2013, 02:35 PM   #16
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
More because the Mini is never too far away and it's easy to read a little bit here and there (while waiting in line, for example). Also, books in foreign languages are easier to buy and with some codes and coupons they are way cheaper than the imported ones.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:39 PM   #17
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Convenience of getting new books, ease of carrying as many as I want around with me, both add up to me reading a lot more. I've got a pocket sized reader I can take to work with me so that gives me more time to read too (only when it's quiet though!).
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #18
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I think I read more in that the PaperWhite is more convenient to carry round with me than a thick paperback book is. And if I decide that I am in the mood to read something else other than what I've been reading I can just change the book over, something that is impossible (short of returning to the bookcase) with a paper book.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #19
Marbles
Zealot
Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.

Device: KoboTouch & Kobo Vox iPad2
Since I got an eReader I have been reading way more. That is because I can change the font so that it is bigger and easier to read than a paperback.
Marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:43 PM   #20
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I read about the same amount as I have always read. What has changed is that now I am reading more non-fiction books (which tend to be a lot longer reads) than I had been before.I didn't want to have to carry around those heavy books before, but now all books weigh the same on my PW.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2013, 03:38 PM   #21
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbles View Post
Since I got an eReader I have been reading way more. That is because I can change the font so that it is bigger and easier to read than a paperback.
That's what I find too.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #22
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Owning an ereader probably has led to a bit more reading.

Surprised that no one has mentioned audiobooks. In the past year I have rediscovered them, and that has been the factor that has led to a big jump in reading. Having a smart phone that you can effortlessly load several audiobooks onto with an app that can skip back a few seconds if I missed something, and speed up pace of the narration has really revolutionized audiobooks for me. In the past audiobooks just were not appealing or convenient enough. I can now "read" while at the gym, doing housework, going for walks, etc. I used to listen to a ton of music, but that has been reduced dramatically as a result of audiobooks.

Last edited by usuallee; 07-02-2013 at 09:44 AM.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #23
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
More! Lots more!
Used to read lots when I was younger, but getting older my eyes and hands made reading difficult for me. Ereading solved both for me! Woohoo!!!
I did as well, but MS made paper books impossible. A kindle gave me back the ability to read. You can't stop me now YAH.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:33 AM   #24
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I read a lot more since I got an ereader and can get books from the library or store without leaving home.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #25
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
My reading has definitely ticked up since I got an ereader. There are a few factors responsible for this:

1. I got my first ereader right before my first son was born; once he was born, we got rid of cable. Also it is easier to read a book in ten minute stints than watch a TV show in those chunks.

2. Ease of getting books. Previously when I finished a book, I was limited to my to be read pile for my next book unless I wanted to wait until I got to a book store (which might not have been for a few weeks). Now, I can get virtually any book I want in a couple of minutes.

3. Never have to worry about loosing your place.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:31 AM   #26
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I'm reading much more, now that I can change the size and font.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #27
delph
Tabby
delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Mini, Lenovo Yoga 2 10"
I've been reading a lot more since I got my first ereader a couple of years ago. It all boils down to convenience.

1. I don't have to make time to venture to the bookstore. While I love bookstores, I don't always want to deal with crowds or parking. Sometimes I finish at book at 1am and immediately want to start the next one.
2. I have small hands. It's easier to read one-handed (important when you have feline reading buddies) with an ereader.
3. I really appreciate the ease of changing font and font size to make reading more comfortable on my eyes. They get tired after a day spent on the computer.
4. I don't lose my place, unless I fall asleep with my hand on the screen. (Yes, this has happened.)
5. I'm not tempted to skip forward. No matter how good a book is, I've been known to get a little impatient to know how it ends and skipped forward. It's not really THAT much more effort to do this on an ereader, but I perceive that it is, and thus my ereader keeps me honest.
6. Ereaders are lighter and smaller than paperbacks and certainly hardcovers. I can have an entire collection of books with me wherever I am and read whatever I'm in the mood for.
delph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:26 PM   #28
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Ever since getting a ereader I've been reading a whole hell of a lot more.

It's overwhelmingly cheaper (the cost of the device is offset quickly enough by cheap/free books), more convenient, lighter and doesn't take up precious real estate. And my tired 'ol eyes appreciate bumping up the font size a little bit.

Having "Confortlight" or whatever Kobo calls it, really makes reading anywhere, anytime just too easy.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #29
estelle58
Cat lover
estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo, iPad mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
A whole lot more... I used to read a couple of books a year, now it's a couple of books a week
estelle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #30
dkb
ebook enthusiast
dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle 2, iPhone, Sony PRS-350, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
I think I'm reading more because with the Kindle app on my phone, I always have all my books with me.
dkb is offline   Reply With Quote