Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 05-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #1
kobo-adrian
Kobo Arc - Dev Mgr
kobo-adrian began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Android Tablets
Updated Jelly Bean release - Beta testers needed

Hi everyone, I'm the development manager for the Kobo Arc and wanted to solicit volunteers to test our updated Jelly Bean build.

This build fixes the Google Play Movies issue. We have completed testing on this build and like what we see, but want to get a few more eyes on it before releasing it to the public. So please feel free to download this build and post back on your thoughts in this thread.

Here are the instructions:

1. Download update.zip
2. Connect the Arc to your computer.
3. Copy update.zip to root of the Arc
4. Disconnect the Arc from your computer
5. Reboot the Arc
6. Update will apply
7. Device will reboot

Thanks in advance to all those helping us out.
kobo-adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
nmss
nmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Arc, Kindle Paperwhite
Any other changes? I'd need some incentive to wipe and start again.
nmss is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2013, 07:48 AM   #3
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
I installed the update. I don't use Movies but everything else is good so far. I had stopped using Tapestries as it wasn't working, but it seems tobe reinstated with this release.

It pretty much just upgrades the OS, doesn't wipe anything that I could see.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:43 AM   #4
KillerDid
KillerDid began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
Does it still have the phone UI?
If not, is it possible to switch to Tablet UI?
KillerDid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:49 AM   #5
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How can I tell what UI it has?

Edit: It appears that the UI is the standard Jelly Bean UI, which is common across all devices if I read this correctly. According to Wikipedia (for 4.2):

All devices now use the same interface layout, previously adapted from phones on 4.1 for smaller tablets (with centered software buttons, the system bar at the top of the screen, and a home screen with a dock and centered application menu), regardless of screen size

Last edited by dmacmart; 05-16-2013 at 09:07 AM.
Advert
Old 05-16-2013, 09:31 AM   #6
KillerDid

So it's a phone UI.
I really like the tablet UI. On a nexus 7 you can go back to tablet UI by change lcd_screen density from 213 to 160.
But we don't have access to build.conf...
Old 05-16-2013, 10:16 AM   #7
tlaine
Zealot
tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Mini; Kindle PW2
I can't comment on the Google Play Movies issue, but I had really hoped the Netflix issue would have been resolved with this update but unfortunately not. Netflix worked wonderfully with ICS. All else seems to be running smoothly with the update.
tlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:41 AM   #8
dmacmart
Fanatic

What kind of Netflix issues are you seeing? I use it quite a bit (not as much since this new updated, but definitely since the first JB update) and haven't noticed any problems.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:33 PM   #9
tlaine
Zealot
tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Mini; Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
What kind of Netflix issues are you seeing?
Freezing, I have to use something in multitask and then I can go back to Netflix and carry on with the movie. It happens 2-3 times per movie.
tlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:37 PM   #10
badass1
badass1 began at the beginning.

My arc just got an update last night, I guess it was the new official JB update?

I had the previous JB update before they pulled it.

Cheers!
badass1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:01 PM   #11
dmacmart
Fanatic

I only watch TV shows on Netflix; not seeing freezing but they are only 22 minutes or so long.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:14 AM   #12
KillerDid

I did the update yesterday, and I think I can live with the phone layout.
I still have troubles with Google Earth : it crashes when I load it.
Some other are told not compatible. I guess that's beacause of the lack of GPS, and apps require GPS location instead of Wifi only location.
Is there a way to bypass this?
Old 05-17-2013, 07:34 AM   #13
dmacmart
Fanatic

If you install Aptoide, you can install some apps (eg NHL Gamecenter) that the Play Store will prevent due to no GPS. I install all apps from the Play Store, where possible, for notification of new versions.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:51 AM   #14
KillerDid

I just noticed thaht auto brightness does not seem to work anymore.
Do you have the same issue?
Old 05-19-2013, 08:55 AM   #15
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
It's only sporadically worked for me since the original JB update. (works fine under the ICS "downgrade", however) Had to start using the power widget to cycle through the settings (once it got back to auto, it'd work properly for a while).
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote