Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #1
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Can't ship an ereader to Italy?!

Today at the post office, I pass the parcel to Italy with a brand new Mini with a supercute cover for my niece's birthday - well, no, can't ship to Italy, the Italian rules prevent the mailing of any device with rechargeable batteries in. Of course this does not prevent any of the Italian retailers to ship their e-readers, but there you go.
So two options now: either I pretend there is something else, i.e. lie but still insure the value of the shipping, or wait until next time I go over. The thing about the first option, morality aside, is that if anything were to go wrong (which with the Italian postal service is more than very possible) I'd be stumped with nothing to redress, as I should not have sent the reader by mail in the first place.
Has anybody got any ideas/suggestions?
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
Has anybody got any ideas/suggestions?
Instead of the mail use a private service like FedEx, DHL, TNT??? No idea what the cost difference might be.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #3
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Instead of the mail use a private service like FedEx, DHL, TNT??? No idea what the cost difference might be.
huge, unfortunately - more than the cost of the Mini +cover!
Old 05-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #4
readx
Connoisseur
readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.

Device: Cybook Gen3
And unfortunately it won't do you any good because the rules for the services are all the same for shipping goods containing Lithium Batteries
1. IATA for air transport, applicable within all countries which work under the ICAO regulations and any airline under the IATA regulations
2. ADR for road transport, applicable within all countries that have adopted the ADR convention in their legislation and additionally within Europe, the EU directives concerning the transport of Dangerous Goods (Dangerous Goods Safety Advisor)
3. Shippers are responsible to confirm if their dangerous goods shipments will transit to destination by air or road and prepare the shipment accordingly
readx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #5
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
The US has a similar rule. If I remember if you can disconnect the battery and wrap it separately in plastic, it can be shipped. Not something for someone technically challenged at either end of the shipping though even if Italy did allow it.

I've had a friend ship an ereader to me from Denmark, and one from the UK, and they made it just fine without any problems, but I might have warned them what to list it as.

I really don't get the rule either, since electronic items with rechargeable batteries are shipped by air everyday, and the packaging has been in just plain padded envelopes at times when I've received them, definitely nothing special at all. Not to mention all the cell phones, netbooks, tablets, ereaders, that passengers bring with them on board daily either.

And yes, going through FedEx would be ridiculously expensive. If you're really worried about something happening to it, I hope you're planning to visit there soon so you can take it on board with you, that's probably your only option unless you want to risk lying.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2013, 04:03 PM   #6
paola
Wizard

thank guys, but isn't this insane? If I take it with me, I will have to pass it through security, which means opening the gift box! and if i put in the luggage - well from what you say I shouldn't be putting it into my luggage either. Gosh, isn't this completely crazy?!

EDIT: sorry, I retract, the passenger leaflet makes it clear that you can carry the connected thing in the hold
http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/d...engerFlyer.jpg

So I can do that, but Royal Mail cannot....

Last edited by paola; 05-07-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:08 PM   #7
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I totally agree. Take wrapping paper with pre-cut to size (since you probably can't take scissors on board either) and plan on wrapping it on the plane or after you land. Or use one of the gift bags that just adds some loose ribbons on top of the gift, that way they can remove it to check it.

I should also add that even within the US, those shipments come daily as well, and again, there is no special packaging whatsoever and they're also shipped by plane.

It seems it's a rule that only hurts the individual.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:14 PM   #8
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I totally agree. Take wrapping paper with pre-cut to size (since you probably can't take scissors on board either) and plan on wrapping it on the plane or after you land. Or use one of the gift bags that just adds some loose ribbons on top of the gift, that way they can remove it to check it.

I should also add that even within the US, those shipments come daily as well, and again, there is no special packaging whatsoever and they're also shipped by plane.

It seems it's a rule that only hurts the individual.
thanks Ripplinger, we crossed messages (I edited my previous one) - it looks like you can put the device in checked baggage. The thing is all wrapped up already, as the lady at the Royal Mail counter had accepted it and I was about to pay, when a clever girl from another counter said she could not do that.. damn the clever and competent girl for once
Old 05-07-2013, 04:28 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
The US has a similar rule. If I remember if you can disconnect the battery and wrap it separately in plastic, it can be shipped.
Not quite. In the US it must be installed in the device (at least for something like we're talking here) not separate, at least that's my understanding. I think where the rules more come into play is when large quantities are being shipped.
Quote:
135.63 Secondary Lithium-ion (Rechargeable) Cells and Batteries
Small consumer-type lithium-ion cells and batteries like those used to power cell phones and laptop computers are mailable in a single shipment with the following restrictions:
a. The batteries must be installed in the equipment be*ing shipped.
b. Each shipment may contain a maximum of only four lithium-ion cells or two lithium-ion batteries.
c. The lithium content must not exceed 20 Watt-hour rating (Wh) per cell.
d. The total aggregate lithium content must not exceed 100 Wh per battery.
e. Each battery must bear the Wh marking on the bat*tery to determine if it is within the limits defined in 123.63c and 123.63d.
f. The batteries installed in the equipment must be pro*tected from damage and short circuit.
g. The equipment must be equipped with an effective means of preventing it from being turned on or activated.
h. The equipment must be contained in a strong sealed package and cushioned to prevent movement or damage.
http://about.usps.com/postal-bulleti...l/updt_002.htm
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #10
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Not quite. In the US it must be installed in the device (at least for something like we're talking here) not separate, at least that's my understanding. I think where the rules more come into play is when large quantities are being shipped.

http://about.usps.com/postal-bulleti...l/updt_002.htm
Just write "Kobo book" on the package description. That way morally you're covered.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #11
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Oops should have quoted Paula?
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #12
DomesticExtremis
Addict
DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: default
That sounds ridiculous.
Just about every passanger on a plane has a mobile phone (with lithium battery)
and many laptops (with their lithium batteries) go in the checked in baggage in
the unpresurised hold.
I think the 'clever and competent' girl was being a jobsworth.

Try a different post office
DomesticExtremis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:02 PM   #13
TongueTied
Zealot
TongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomesticExtremis View Post
That sounds ridiculous.
Just about every passanger on a plane has a mobile phone (with lithium battery)
and many laptops (with their lithium batteries) go in the checked in baggage in
the unpresurised hold.

Not to mention that if you flew on a new Boeing 787, the aircraft batteries are lithium ion.
TongueTied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:07 PM   #14
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomesticExtremis View Post

Such regulations do exist, as others have pointed out. And the issue isn't so much the shipping post office as someone checking the label along the way. Unlikely, but possible.

My understanding of the restriction on certain forms of batteries is that it's well thought out but, in cases such as these, ultimately pointless. Some batteries have a low internal resistance, which allows a large current draw, and potentially overheating. This is a real issue for for improperly packaged batteries since shorts are possible. I suspect that it is not an issue at all for batteries that are factory installed in consumer electronics. Unfortunately, the regulations probably don't distinguish between the two cases.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:12 PM   #15
TongueTied
Zealot
TongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Actually, a lot of this comes down to the hazardous materials regulations and the postal service trying to tighten up its procedures along those lines. It is fine to send hazardous materials via air provided it conforms to the hazmat regulations and this includes the shipper knowing that the package is classified as hazmat. What you may find is that the postal service is not licensed as a hazmat shipper and therefore, can't (or shouldn't) ship something that is classed as a hazardous material ie lithium ion batteries. FedEx, DHL, TNT etc. are all licensed to carry lots of different hazmat therefore, they have no problem sending lithium ion batteries. What I can suggest is see if the Italian post's EMS service also restricts lithium ion batteries. They may have the EMS service handled by another shipper which might be licensed to carry lithium ion batteries. You could also try other third tier courier companies as they would probably have no issue with lithium ion batteries but also be cheaper than the top tier ones (FedEx, DHL, etc.)

Personally, I'd go with DomesticExtremis' suggestion and try a different post office.
TongueTied is offline   Reply With Quote