Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-11-2012, 11:41 PM   #31
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I could think of several more but I was trying to limit it to things that would also interest her boyfriend.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:42 PM   #32
BenBanned
Groupie
BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paper
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

Lilith, a romance by George MacDonald
BenBanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2012, 01:07 AM   #33
purple_fishy
Zealot
purple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook STR, iPad Air 2
I have never heard of Lilith. It sounds great! Thanks!
purple_fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:44 AM   #34
rlowe
Enthusiast
rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3; Kindle DX
Well it would depend on what's your definition of "Happy Ending". For example I would recommend "Gone with the wind" because of its ending seems happy enough for me.

Otherwise, I suggest reading "Robinson Crusoe".
rlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:34 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
All of Dickens's novels have happy endings (with the arguable exception of "Great Expectations", perhaps).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2012, 07:55 AM   #36
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
All of Dickens's novels have happy endings (with the arguable exception of "Great Expectations", perhaps).
I would disagree with the all happy endings statement. Or at least quite a few were very ambivalent. It was not a very happy ending for Stephen Blackpool and Rachael in Hard Times. Not a happy ending for Nancy, Fagin, or really anyone but the title character in Oliver Twist.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:49 AM   #37
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
All of Dickens's novels have happy endings.
"It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known."

I guess that's happy, then?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:23 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
"It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known."

I guess that's happy, then?

eP
Certainly it is. He says himself that he's doing a good thing and he's going to heaven. Who could ask for more?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:53 PM   #39
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Certainly it is. He says himself that he's doing a good thing and he's going to heaven. Who could ask for more?
I think that was Plan B.
Plan A was getting the girl himself.

A "classic" example of settling.

Last edited by fjtorres; 10-14-2012 at 07:55 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:43 PM   #40
miguel1626
Great Old One
miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro, iPhone 8 Plus
Quote:
What about Bleak House? I never thought of the ending as particularly happy (although a few characters do get a happy ending). Partially happy ending, maybe?
miguel1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:06 PM   #41
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
The Moonstone

It's described in my link as the first detective novel, whether or not that's true.

Happy ending? Well, it's not ecstatically happy. But compared to A Tale of Two Cities, it ends quite nicely.

Classic? Hmm. It's old, and it's fairly famous, but I'm on the fence with calling it a classic. Wilkie Collins was more a master of plot than characterization. I liked it, but I didn't feel myself to have touched perfection.

Where The Moonstone shines, in terms of meeting purple_fishy's criteria, is in being far different from a Jane Austen book.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #42
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katel View Post
the Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas - so many stories in the one, and a page turner IMO. I haven't got to the ending yet (it goes on forever) but I'm sure it will be a good one.
does NOT contain the actual ending, just a comment on it, nevertheless:
Spoiler:
not EXACTLY a happy ending
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #43
kaleissin
Connoisseur
kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard Wi-Fi, Kobo Glo
Captain Blood: Pirates, lies, romance, cowards, stubbornness, bad luck, civil war, evil kings, slavery, horror, sword fights, dishonor, fire, betrayal, ship fights, turn arounds, a happy end in which the bad guy gets deliciously snubbed.

Floridly, giggle-inducing old-fashionedly written, which is part of the charm.

The movie isn't half bad too but "the Sea Hawk", also with Errol Flynn, is better.
kaleissin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #44
BenBanned
Groupie
BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_fishy View Post
I have never heard of Lilith. It sounds great! Thanks!
I read it for the first time last year.
I saved the last ten pages for my second read,
I just couldn't stand the thought of it ending.
BenBanned is offline   Reply With Quote