Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-13-2012, 09:01 AM   #1
valleyebooks
valleyebooks began at the beginning.

Device: 2nd Generation Kindle
Difficulty with comparing Calibre Library and Device Library

Complete noob here.

Now that that's out of the way...I have a question about determining what is on my Kindle in comparison to my Calibre library.

What I have: 2nd Generation Kindle running Kindle 2.3.3
64 bit Windows 7 Enterprise SP1
Calibre 0.8.39

My particular situation: I work in a library and am restructuring how we circulate Kindles by using Calibre. I have had a Kindle in the possession of our cataloger who has been downloading books that I have purchased. There are two extra titles on this Kindle that I have not purchased and I need to know which ones those are. We have over 500 books on the Kindle, so it's not like I can do this manually.

What I have done so far: I have downloaded all the AZW files off of Amazon that I have purchased; I saved them into a specific folder on my desktop titled Kindle eBooks. I opened Calibre and Chose "Add Books" using a single directory and then opened up the Kindle eBooks folders and selected all the files.

I have plugged in my Kindle that has the titles on it downloaded directly from Amazon. None of these titles were put on the Kindle using Calibre.

Here's what is happening: When I go to the "Device" tab, only about 2/3 of the books that I currently have on the Kindle are marked as "In Library". Conversely, in the "Library" tab, Calibre shows that only about 2/3 of the books in the Calibre library are on my Kindle. However, I know for certain that many of the titles not marked as "In Library" (or "On Device") are in my Calibre library or on my Kindle by manually checking: searching on the actual Kindle, checking the Calibre library in the Calibre program with the Kindle disconnected, and checking Calibre's library's file on my computer. The title is located in all three places, but Calibre, when comparing my Calibre library and my Kindle does not think it's in the Calibre library.

There are only one or two extra titles that are on my Kindle that are not in my Amazon account (determined only by comparing the number of titles that are on my Amazon account and the number of titles on the Kindle, not the most accurate method, but I have over 500 titles that I am working with here). I need to find out which two titles these are.

How can I correct whatever is happening with Calibre determining whether or not a title is in the Calibre library?

I already found this post: http://bit.ly/wVkAti. I have already tried doing a couple of things: on my test title I have edited the metadata (Imported from Amazon), which did nothing. I have deleted the title from my Calibre library and tried re-adding it. No luck. I have tried deleting the title from my Kindle and then re-adding it through Whispernet (not Calibre) to see if that would make a difference. It did not. I have checked the db file and the title and author were labeled the same as in the Calibre library and they were, as far as I can tell. Does it need to be exact? (like author's first and last name order.)

Basically, I am trying to compare my Kindle library and what I have purchased through Amazon and get rid of any books I have not actually purchased.

Could you please help me? And please let me know if you need any further information that I have forgotten to include.

Thank you!
valleyebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:25 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Something I noticed the other day was that Calibre gives a warning when importing an ebook with the same title as an existing ebook. In my case the author was different, but I still got the warning.

So an approach that might work is:

In a new Calibre library, import all your K4PC ebooks

In the same library, import all your Kindle device ebooks. When Calibre asks if you want to import title matches say no (you might want to save the diagnostic printout for reference). With any luck only a few new ebooks will have been added and you can check these manually to see if they are the ones you are looking for.

Check first that you don't have "automerge" set in Preferences -> Adding Books.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
If you sort on the in library column (device view) and add the unchecked ones to your library then you should have all of them in your library.

Then you could use the find duplicates plugin (in library view) to clean up any duplicates by merging and/or deleting.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote