Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-04-2007, 09:41 AM   #1
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Which Authors do you have on your auto buy list?

I used to have a list of authors in my head for whom I would automatically buy their books in hard cover edition and couldn't wait the year for the cheaper paper back edition to come out. The list has dwindled lately though so I need to recharge. Which authors would you put on this list? I'll start with my current list.

Jack Whyte
Guy Gavriel Kay
Bernard Cornwell
Conn Iggulden
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 10:14 AM   #2
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Not that my list would necessarily be your list, but in no particular order:

Garth Nix
Tamora Pierce
Steven Brust
Charles de Lint
Shannon Hale
Robin McKinley
Diana Wynne Jones
Barbara Hambly
Spider Robinson
Patricia A. McKillip
Sherri Tepper
Iain M. Banks
P.C. Hodgell
Jonathan Stroud
Kim Stanley Robinson
R.A. MacAvoy
Gillian Bradshaw
Tanya Huff
Carole Nelson Douglas
Orson Scott Card (but not quite an automatic purchase anymore)

Anne McCaffrey and Mercedes Lackey used to be on the list, but not anymore due to quality problems. Same with Marion Zimmer Bradley. Heinlein used to top the list, but of course there are very few new Heinlein books these days. I used to read a lot of Katherine Kurtz, but she got depressing, so I stopped. I hear her later books are less depressing, so I might try some. I usually check to see what William Gibson and Neal Stephenson have been up to, though I don't buy everything they write. I'm just starting to get into John Barnes and Tanith Lee. I should probably add Neil Gaiman to the list. Terry Pratchett gets inspection when new books come out, but I don't like all the Discworld books, so I tend to buy the ones with the witches in them.

Happy reading!
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2007, 02:14 PM   #3
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
My buy on publication list would be as follows (restricting myself to living authors only), in no particular order after the top 4:

Peter Hamilton
David Weber
Lois Bujold
Neal Asher

IM Banks
John Ringo
JC Grimwood
Sarah Monette
Steph Swainston
Steven Saylor (anything historical)
Adam Roberts
Alastair Reynolds
Gary Gibson (UK only)
Richard Morgan
Tom Kratman
Jack McDevitt
Mary Gentle
RC Wilson
Chris Moriarty
Scott Bakker
Peter Watts
Gregory Norminton (UK hist fiction)
Mark Frutkin (Canada)
Jonathan Strahan (anthologies)
John Julius Norwich (non-fiction)
William Barton
Jim Grimsley (sff only)
John Meaney
Steve Jordan
Any 163* alt history (Eric Flint and others)
Marianne De Pierres
Patrick Rothfuss
Joe Abercrombie
Scott Lynch
Brian Ruckley
China Mieville (not YA though)
GRRM's famous series
Howard Hendrix (despite the famous scab controversy I like his sf)
Kristine Smith
Mary Rosenblum (sf only)
KA Bedford (Australia and Canada mostly)
Alan Furst
Steven Pressfield
Michael Curtis Ford

Last edited by Liviu_5; 11-04-2007 at 02:18 PM.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 06:32 PM   #4
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Wow do you really buy all those authors at premium first release prices? I've read some of them but normally wait until the price drops to mass market prices.

I was thinking more of the authors that jump immediately to the top of your reading list although probably already have 50 on the list. I've never had more then 10.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 06:39 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Mercedes Lackey
I've read The Fairy Godmother and I have really enjoyed it. I have One Good Knight ready to read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2007, 06:44 PM   #6
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
What I buy in expesive first release is Charles Stross and Steven Brust. And I will by Scott Lynch's third book directly when it is available.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 07:55 PM   #7
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
Wow do you really buy all those authors at premium first release prices? I've read some of them but normally wait until the price drops to mass market prices.

I was thinking more of the authors that jump immediately to the top of your reading list although probably already have 50 on the list. I've never had more then 10.
I buy the first edition of pretty much all of these, or sometimes the e-arcs in the Baen's authors case, or even arcs on Ebay if they are not outrageously priced. If I want to read a book, I either buy it in first edition or get it from the library.

I hate mmpb and I use them just for portability for some authors that have huge hc (Peter Hamilton comes to mind - I have most of his books as hc, mmpb and some even bought as e-books too)

I also buy the UK (or Canadian for that matter) first edition if it appears first even if the US appears only a month or two later (bookdepository.co.uk has excellent prices and free and fast - 5 working days from order to my door - shipping)
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 11:37 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I started to begin a list, but then I realized that I won't necessarily reflexively buy any book. There are those I'm pretty likely (say, 90%) to buy, but even authors I know I enjoy I look over the books to make sure the premise is interesting to me before I fully decide to buy them. I'd still keep Anne McCaffrey (non-collaborations, I mean) on my "most likely" list, but she doesn't seem to be writing much these days -- I don't mean to imply that the Lady hasn't earned whatever rest she cares to take! Collaborations, which lately seems to mean "mostly written by the 'collaborator'" definitely get looked at, but I wouldn't say I'm more likely than not to buy them.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 12:28 AM   #9
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I don't buy all my favorite authors in hardcover-- some I get at the library-- but the top six on my list plus a few others I do tend to buy in HC as soon as they come out, and for many of the others, I used to buy MMPBs and currently try to buy ebooks as soon as they become available. Also, I've been reading Patricia Briggs this year, so she might go on the list too.

The last McCaffrey I read that I really liked was The Masterharper of Pern. I was traveling and desperate for something to read, and saw it in MMPB in a supermarket, of all places. It was much better than the previous few books of hers that I'd read. The most recent Mercedes Lackey that I liked was Exile's Honor, I think. The first of that pair, whichever one it was. (The second one had too much Mary Sue in it for me.)

J.K. Rowling would have been on the list, but she's done for the moment, I guess. I suppose I'd look into whatever else she might write if and when she eventually does. I also haven't included older authors whose works I'm still collecting, like Clifford D. Simak or Rumer Godden.

Oh, and Richard P. Feynman. But again, he's no longer among the living (sniff).
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 09:39 AM   #10
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
These days: None. I've gotten too particular about what I read to automatically buy any author's material sight-unseen. I have a number of authors that I look for, of whom I love some of their books, but couldn't care less about the others.

My transition from paper to electronic has encouraged this change in habits, as I discover new authors and more varied story lines. I shop by story type and writing quality now, as opposed to shopping by author.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 09:49 AM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I started to begin a list, but then I realized that I won't necessarily reflexively buy any book.
Pretty much the same thing here. I more have a list of authors that I automatically consider buying, but it's not really a sure thing anymore like certain authors used to be.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 01:33 PM   #12
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Keeping in mind David McCullough's observation: "You are what you read," these authors I look for and usually buy:

David McCullough
GRRM (Ice and Fire series for sure; Fictionwise has some of his short fiction)
Robert Harris
Stephen King
Lee Iacocca (writes seldom but always has something to say)

There are several others whose back-lists I'm still watching for. I want the eBook versions but most of these back-listed books aren't available (as eBooks). Still, I keep looking:

Richard P. Feynman
Anne Rice
David Halberstam
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:40 AM   #13
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
As Steve Jordan said: These days: None.

It used to be Anne Rice, Robert Jordan, Robin Hobb, Glen Coock, Steven Erikson, Raymond E. Feist, G.K. Kay...not anymore.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:47 PM   #14
iamcanadian
iamcanadian began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Guy Gavriel Kay - though I didn't enjoy his last novel
John Crowley
George RR Martin
R. Scott Bakker
Steven Erikson
Thomas Disch
Cormac McCarthy
Margaret Atwood
Philip Roth
Michael Chabon
Michael Ondaatje
Salman Rushdie

Last edited by iamcanadian; 11-08-2007 at 08:49 PM.
iamcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 02:37 PM   #15
FixB
Groupie
FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS500
My only "automatic-buy as soon as available" author is Milan Kundera (but unfortunately, his last novel was published in 2003.... ).
I have many other favorite authors, but I won't "automatically" buy their books in hardcover edition.
FixB is offline   Reply With Quote