Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-23-2011, 02:51 PM   #121
clemon79
clemon79 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3 3G+WiFi
I wanted to add my own data points in the hopes of solving some of the remaining mysteries here:

I have a 3G Kindle Keyboard and a Fire, and a lot of non-Amazon-purchased content, which I sideload using Calibre over USB. I was surprised to discover that non-Amazon books synched at all, but when I copied a .mobi and it's .mbp file over from the KK to the KF, furthest-page-read worked like a champ. (But that's all that seems to work right now.)

So, great, if things will sync back and forth, open the floodgates! Last night I got the Calibre update that enables the Fire, and uploaded a bunch of books onto it, some of which landed in Books, some of which landed in Docs, even though Calibre uploaded them all to the Documents folder. Thanks to this thread, I discovered it was the [PDOC] issue causing this to happen, and when I cleared out the appropriate field in Calibre and did a MOBI-to-MOBI conversion, the resulting books all show up in Books now. Spiffy!

So now the challenge seems to be in getting full-sync to work. Some of these books aren't even syncing to last-page-read, and I have yet to see a bookmark sunc properly even with the one book that seems to be working with, and I'm wondering if it's because I'm going to need to re-add them in their new forms to my KK (even though the filename of the .mbp hasn't changed).

So that's where I am now, and I welcome insight and further discussion, because if we can get full-sync across both devices for non-Amazon books, that would be AWESOME.
clemon79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:48 PM   #122
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Only page number synching works with non-amazon books. This is a backend limitation -- not anything you're going to be able to do anything about.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2011, 06:51 PM   #123
clemon79

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
Only page number synching works with non-amazon books. This is a backend limitation -- not anything you're going to be able to do anything about.
Mmkay, I can totally live with that if that's the case. Is that just Furthest Page Read, or is it supposed to keep tabs on the current location, too?

(Still trying to figure out why some books aren't even acknowledging last-page-read syncs, though.)
Old 11-24-2011, 12:21 AM   #124
clemon79

Figured it out: as I suspected up there, Whispersync was treating the books I had re-converted to get rid of the [PDOC] tag as completely different books from the ones I had not. Once I removed those old books from my Kindle Keyboard and replaced them with the new conversions, they're all syncing to furthest-page-read just fine.

(My question still stands, though...is this the best I can expect, or should it be remembering my current place and syncing that as well? I'm fine either way, I just want to be satisfied that I have this working as well as can be expected, especially because even furthest-page-read was an unexpected treat. )
Old 12-24-2011, 02:35 PM   #125
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
They are in the documents folder and still show up in books. I know they carry the pdoc tag too. The only ones that show up in documents is the ones I email to my kindle.
Yikes! I'm a Kindle Keyboard user and I've agreed to provide the James Potter books in mobi format to my daughter (who is giving a Kindle Fire to her daughter for Christmas). The Grandaughter wants to read these three books.

so I read this entire thread and it is quite complex and confusing. So I can provide help, I need these questions answered:

is it possible to hook up the Fire via a USB cable to a PC or Mac and transfer the mobi books (without installing other software or resorting to email, clouds....etc.)?

if so will the Fire then allow these books to be read (i have removed the [PDOC] tag and added the [EBOK] tag) or are there some additional hoops to jump through?
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2011, 04:11 PM   #126
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I think you're good to go. I just did the same thing with JP #3. I converted it to mobi first (optional, I think), removed the [PDOC] tag, but didn't add the [EBOK] tag, sent it from Calibre to my Fire over USB, and it showed up as NEW on the bottom of my bookshelf. You might have to scroll down to find the books.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 04:13 PM   #127
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool furthur yikes!

I thought it might help if I explained my aims a little more completely. I'm 3,000 miles away from those who I'm going to be trying to help. They are users, not tinkerers. I do not have a Kindle Fire to experiment on.

I'd like them to be able to take the Kindle Fire out of the box and turn it on, then sideload the mobi files I provide them and be able to open and read them like they just bought them from the Kindle store.

Can it be done? Could someone tell me how to coach them to do that?

Old 12-24-2011, 04:15 PM   #128
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I think you're good to go. I just did the same thing with JP #3. I converted it to mobi first (optional, I think), removed the [PDOC] tag, but didn't add the [EBOK] tag, sent it from Calibre to my Fire over USB, and it showed up as NEW on the bottom of my bookshelf. You might have to scroll down to find the books.
but they don't have Calibre and my aim is to not require them to add any extra software to the mix.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:06 PM   #129
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Gotcha. So, you want to email them the already converted books that they can just load onto the Fire via. USB? I think that works, but let me test to make sure.

Edit: Yep, deleted JP #3 and added it back just by manually copying it into the Books folder. The bookshelf refreshed as soon as I disconnected it from the USB and the book showed up right away. It works fine.

I also grabbed "Cthulhu Mythos" by Robert E. Howard from MR's ebook collection as a test. I ran it through Calibre to make sure there was no [PDOC] tag, and manually dropped it into the Books folder on my Fire. The bookshelf refreshed again, and it showed up as a New book.

Last edited by carld; 12-24-2011 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:11 PM   #130
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool testing

Quote:
Gotcha. So, you want to email them the already converted books that they can just load onto the Fire via. USB? I think that works, but let me test to make sure.
again, I appreciate your testing it for me.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:44 PM   #131
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool thanks

Quote:

Edit: Yep, deleted JP #3 and added it back just by manually copying it into the Books folder. The bookshelf refreshed as soon as I disconnected it from the USB and the book showed up right away. It works fine.

I also grabbed "Cthulhu Mythos" by Robert E. Howard from MR's ebook collection as a test. I ran it through Calibre to make sure there was no [PDOC] tag, and manually dropped it into the Books folder on my Fire. The bookshelf refreshed again, and it showed up as a New book.
that's real good to hear.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2011, 08:23 PM   #132
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
This is very interesting. I did the same thing - converted an epub in Calibre, removing the [PDOC] tag first (with no [EBOK] tag added], and sent it to my Fire via Calibre. It did not show up on the bookshelf until I did a reboot.

The result is the same whether I send via Calibre or transfer the book via wifi to the Fire. A reboot is necessary for the newly added books to display on the bookshelf.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:28 PM   #133
carld
Wizard

That's strange. I definitely didn't have to reboot. The bookshelf just blinked very quickly and the books showed up. Are you using firmware version 6.2.1 and the latest Calibre? I don't know what the difference might be otherwise.

Edit: I realized after thinking about it that I used File Expert to associate .mobi files with the Kindle Reader app. That may also have something to do with it.

Last edited by carld; 12-24-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:16 PM   #134
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
If you are sideloading other then USB you need to open the books up in File Expert using the Kindle app or you will have to reboot for them to show up.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:22 PM   #135
carld
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
If you are sideloading other then USB you need to open the books up in File Expert using the Kindle app or you will have to reboot for them to show up.
Hmm, I didn't open any of these books in File Expert. I associated .mobi with the Kindle app one time when I first got the Fire. Whatever it did, it apparently stuck.