Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 11-02-2011, 11:46 AM   #1
cajunseo
Zealot
cajunseo began at the beginning.

Device: pocket edge
Red face Technologically Challanged

I am dying to upgrade to all-mine but am horrified to try as I don't possess the skills or the knowledge to do so. As is, I have a great reader and a tablet that does a few things that I wanted but there are apps that are a HUGE part of why I went this route but I don't have access to them because I can't access the Google or Android Market.

I have read through the posts in the Ermine-Allmine thread but there is much in there that I just don't understand. I don't want to be in the middle of a prodedure and have to stop because I don't know what to do next.

Is there anyone who is in my area and knows what they're doing that could actually do this for me? I live in Louisiana, just north of Lake Pontchartrain. I know it's a long shot that someone would be willing but I have to ask.
-Micky
cajunseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:32 PM   #2
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
You are aware that many of the apps available on the market will not work on the PE because they can't find hardware they are looking for.

If you have upgraded to Ermine then you are about as far as you should go *at the moment*, that is unless you want to be a guinea pig and since you claim no technical skill I wouldn't advise going down that road. Just have patience and wait until the bugs have been worked out of the process, then consider doing it.

Meanwhile try looking for the apps you want on the alternative sites listed in the stickies.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2011, 09:05 AM   #3
cajunseo
Zealot

I know. The apps I tend to use are usually pretty basic. 2 of the big reasons that I bought the PE were so that I could run Yahoo Fantasy Football and CBS Sportsline Fantasy Football apps. For CBS you have to be able to access the market. Yahoo was actually running and then needed an update to continue running. And guess what? I needed access to the market for it to update and it no longer works without it. Very disappointing.

I have used the alternative sites and downloaded many things from them. Thanks for giving us the resourses. Yall realy are a HUGE help. I just really want these 2 apps on my PE.

Last edited by cajunseo; 11-04-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:54 PM   #4
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunseo View Post
I know. The apps I tend to use are usually pretty basic. 2 of the big reasons that I bought the PE were so that I could run Yahoo Fantasy Football and CBS Sportsline Fantasy Football apps. For CBS you have to be able to access the market. Yahoo was actually running and then needed an update to continue running. And guess what? I needed access to the market for it to update and it no longer works without it. Very disappointing.

I have used the alternative sites and downloaded many things from them. Thanks for giving us the resourses. Yall realy are a HUGE help. I just really want these 2 apps on my PE.
You need to find out why those two need the market to run.

One reason might be that they have 'automatic check for updates' or some such turned on and therefore halt - stop working - when they can't find the market. There may be a setting that will allow you to turn that off. There may also be a problem if you do manage to install market access and they download updates that are not compatible with our version of Android 2.2 and/or the hardware.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:26 AM   #5
cajunseo
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
You need to find out why those two need the market to run.

One reason might be that they have 'automatic check for updates' or some such turned on and therefore halt - stop working - when they can't find the market. There may be a setting that will allow you to turn that off. There may also be a problem if you do manage to install market access and they download updates that are not compatible with our version of Android 2.2 and/or the hardware.
The CBS Sportsline app only loads from market. Every link I have found for it, directs you to the market. Kind of sucks. Guess I'll check to see about Yahoo. Thanks, -Micky
Advert
Old 11-06-2011, 01:12 PM   #6
ivanjt
Guru

Quote:
The CBS Sportsline app only loads from market. Every link I have found for it, directs you to the market. Kind of sucks. Guess I'll check to see about Yahoo. Thanks, -Micky
I wish they wouldn't do that.

Have you tried getting the app via an Android phone or emulator?
Old 11-06-2011, 02:39 PM   #7
cajunseo
Zealot

don't have either.......don't even know what an emulator is. i mean i can guess by the name, but do you have info on how to do that?
Old 11-06-2011, 04:44 PM   #8
ivanjt
Guru

Quote:
don't have either.......don't even know what an emulator is. i mean i can guess by the name, but do you have info on how to do that?
A start would be to go to http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html and select the SDK for your computer - the SDK has the emulator built in.

You will also need the JDK for your OS installed first. the JRE is not enough.

You don't need Eclipse part mentioned in step 1 on the 'installing the SDK' page so skip step 3 and you need to just select the android 2.2 platform.

Good luck.

there is a thread in the old archives about it https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=136952
Old 11-06-2011, 11:00 PM   #9
cajunseo
Zealot

Good grief............ I read all 5 pages and I'm confused. There is no mention of a JDK in any of the posts. Not sure what I should do now.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:55 AM   #10
ivanjt
Guru

Quote:
Good grief............ I read all 5 pages and I'm confused. There is no mention of a JDK in any of the posts. Not sure what I should do now.
OK, I'll put together a how-to for you when I get time this evening. It's not as difficult as it appears since all you need is the emulator and are not intending to develop apps.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:03 AM   #11
cajunseo
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
OK, I'll put together a how-to for you when I get time this evening. It's not as difficult as it appears since all you need is the emulator and are not intending to develop apps.
That would be really cool but don't put yourself out too much. I will try it. I'm more confused by the different terminology used in here to. Like Froyo and Erminie 2.1.1 I think are the same? Different people use different names for different things and I get nervous that I'll get it wrong.

I came into this knowing what I could expect the PE to do and not do but thought it would be easier to at least get some of the basic apps that I really wanted to use it for. I have done will with some but sometimes I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew.

I can't wait to see the how to. I cant' wait to try it. Thank you for your help. Yall are WAY over the top in your willingness to help people. - Micky
Old 11-08-2011, 02:48 AM   #12
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
This is one little bit of information I think I know:

Froyo is another name (official, from Google) for Android version 2.2. When you install the Ermine beta (any version of Ermine) on your eDGe it upgrades your Android version to Froyo. Ermine also does other things that are specific to the eDGe so Froyo and Ermine are not synonymous.

Ermine is the operating system for the eDGe, which is based on (or includes?) Android 2.2 (otherwise known as Froyo). Clear as mud??

That's all I've got -- hope it helps, and hope it's accurate!!

P.S. Did you try emailing the support people for the apps you want? It's always possible they can help you (not likely, perhaps, but worth a shot!).
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:17 AM   #13
cajunseo
Zealot

Thanks Filark. I'll keep that in mind. I can't wait to see what ivanjt puts together for me.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:46 PM   #14
johnseeking
keeper of the cheese
johnseeking began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Tablet (mine), 2nd Gen Kindle 3G (wife's), Literati (kids')
Fun fact that I am possibly the last person on the planet to know: "Froyo" is short for "FROzen YOgurt." I always thought it was some obscure Hobbit reference.
johnseeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:05 PM   #15
ivanjt
Guru

cajunseo,

Sorry no how-to at the moment, we had an emergency at a client's place yesterday that is still on going - still have about 2 miles of network cable to replace, servers to re-image and workstations to either repair or replace. I suppose the client was lucky they didn't steal the electrical wiring as well.

I'll do the how-to when the panic is over - about two days - but I thought i should let you know the state of play.