Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-28-2011, 06:40 PM   #46
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by juxtapose View Post
Will this font change allow you to change the fonts in news papers as well, or non kobo books? Up until now you could only change the fonts on kobo books and not books you sideloaded.
Yup it works on all the epubs.. Btw that includes the fonts you add as well not just the KOBO supplied ones!

regards

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:49 PM   #47
juxtapose
Banned
juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: tons
Is there a link to a good place that has tons of fonts for download, like a repository?
juxtapose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2011, 07:10 PM   #48
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
Loss of Itallics?

I -swear- this paragraph for a memory flashback used to be itallic before I updated to 1.9.5 and now no longer does.

Sideloaded epub not kepub. I had changed fonts and messed with margins and justification. Back to Georgia and still no italics. Vestigial Kobo 'Styling' checkbox is checked.

Can anyone confirm itallics went away or do I remember wrong?
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:30 PM   #49
joshmosh
Enthusiast
joshmosh began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Another thing is that comic books (CBR file type) can now be zoomed in and panned around.

I LOVE all these new features. With a Calibre fix so that margins work I will be happy until more improvements come

Thank you Kobo dev team for listening!!!
joshmosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:37 PM   #50
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by artifact View Post
I -swear- this paragraph for a memory flashback used to be itallic before I updated to 1.9.5 and now no longer does.

Sideloaded epub not kepub. I had changed fonts and messed with margins and justification. Back to Georgia and still no italics. Vestigial Kobo 'Styling' checkbox is checked.

Can anyone confirm itallics went away or do I remember wrong?
I do not know whether they were there before but they are definitely missing now. I compared an epub I purchased from the Sony store on both my Touch reader and in Adobe Digital Editions and it looks like italic as well as bold are missing.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2011, 07:38 PM   #51
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Italics still works. Kobo styling isn't really vestigial--George was joking. He does that. Go without and see what you can see.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:42 PM   #52
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Quote:
if you dont like one of the five included fonts you can load your own. Can your Nook do that?
Nope, but out of the box, it came with user-set justification, margins, line spacing, and six acceptable fonts.

Plainly the need to ship in time for Father's Day caused Kobo to ship partially-baked software.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:43 PM   #53
digiSara
Groupie
digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kobo wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by juxtapose View Post
Is there a link to a good place that has tons of fonts for download, like a repository?
http://www.dafont.com/
digiSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:48 PM   #54
Wildgift
Connoisseur
Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
GREAT update guys! Love the new fonts on ALL books!
Wildgift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:53 PM   #55
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by baronrus View Post
Just tried Nigol's margin trick by editing the css and it worked great.

I wonder if Tim could do a little calibre magic to do this for us??
I have my original files stored elsewhere on my hard drive. I think it just might be easier for me to delete them in Calibre and on my SD card and process them like I will process new books. After all, even if I get a fix, I still have to add the books anew onto my Touch.

It will be interesting to hear what Tim has to say.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:15 PM   #56
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
So is there a limit to the maximum number of fonts one may place on the kobo?

Also i was wondering with the fonts that have mutliple formats bold,italic,reg is this something that the Epub would use on its own, meaning if the Author bolded it or italtized it would it only show if those parts of the font were part of the font pkg? or would it not matter?

regards

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:32 PM   #57
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Jack -- I'm just guessing, but the limit of fonts is partly going to be determined by the length of the drop down box. For practical purposes, that's around a dozen. I can't imagine needing / wanting more, personally. A couple of text serif, a couple of text sans serif, maybe a funky font or two as well (like Comic Sans) ....

To be honest, the Kindle 3 has two and half fonts: a serif, a sans serif and a condensed variation. With Kobo shipping now with five (or is it seven?), that still leaves space for three or four custom ones. Cyrillic, anyone?
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:44 PM   #58
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
Plainly the need to ship in time for Father's Day caused Kobo to ship partially-baked software.
I'm fine with Kobo pushing the Touch out early as long as the firmware was functional and relatively free of major bugs, which it was as far as I'm concerned. Makes sense to me to do that and then listen to the early feedback as to which features people want the most. The Kobo dev team are getting the firmware updates out as quickly as anyone could ask, with only a few stumbles (1.9.3). Let's face it, there always a few naysayers who hold off buying forever on the grounds that there's just one more feature needed before it meets their standards. I think we all agree we'd rather be among the early buyers giving the feedback.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:52 PM   #59
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch, Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
So is there a limit to the maximum number of fonts one may place on the kobo?
There is only room for five additional fonts beyond the seven that are now included. They will be listed alphabetically below the standard Kobo fonts. You can put more than that on the drive, but only the first five will show up.

BTW, I'm also having problems with italic and bold font.
SF&F Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:09 PM   #60
xraminx
xraminx began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
No italic and no bold in the EPUB's?

Just bought a Kobo Touch today. The setup software updated the firmware to the latest 1.9.5(r29674, Jun 27 2011).

I setup Calibre in the server mode, then used the Kobo's browser to connect to my Calibre library and downloaded an EPUB I had to my Kobo touch.

The Calibre's EPUB viewer shows the italic and bold but there are no italic and no bold on my Kobo Touch.

Last edited by xraminx; 06-28-2011 at 09:48 PM.
xraminx is offline   Reply With Quote