Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 11-05-2010, 12:39 PM   #1
borisb
Edge User

Lightbulb enTourage eDGe and Pocket eDGe Welcome Basket - Part 1

Welcome!

On behalf of my fellow forum members, welcome to the enTourage eDGe forums!

With the launch of the Pocket eDGe, we’re expecting a big influx of new eDGe owners, and I thought I’d put together this grab bag of the best of the forums to give you a jump start in getting the most out of your new eDGe

You'll find these forums a kind and welcoming place, something we all strive to maintain, and hope you will too.

People are welcome to add to my tips in this thread, but as per forum guidelines please post any questions individually in the “enTourage eDGe Help, “Accessories and “Android Apps forums as appropriate (don’t be shy!). I may update this original post from time to time, to keep it current.

The Basics
Updated Dec 18, 2010 5:4 PM ET

My favourite part of the eDGe is its book form factor. To me, this is handier than a slate as you can hold it more comfortably and naturally in your hand. You can fold it closed to set it aside, or protect it in transit. You can fold it back to use just the eInk or LCD side. You can prop it up tent-like to browse the web or watch a video. You can partially fold it back to have it stand vertically by itself on a table (or to prop it up on your stomach when reading in bed!). And you can rotate the LCD display to view it more like a laptop display (note that the eInk side cannot be rotated 90 degrees – yet).

While the full-sized eDGe is heavier than most eReaders, if you experiment with folding it or resting it on the table edge, your leg, etc., you should be able to find a position that negates the weight almost entirely.

The Android operating system the eDGe uses is likely new to you. If you’re lost or looking for how to perform an action, the two most important functions to remember and try in every application (on the LCD side) is the Menu button (on the bezel) and tap-and-holding on things on the LCD side. Both bring up context menus that often reveal hidden functions. Use the Back button on the bezel to back out of menus and applications, and if you're in a panic, press the Home button to get back to the home screen

As for the on-screen keyboard, it usually appears when you tap into a text field, but holding the Menu button will also make it appear. Note that for the up/down/left/right arrow keys, use the trackball/optical mouse on the bezel.

enTourage has posted video workshops on various aspects of the eDGe here that you can view.

Lastly, the eDGe gets great battery life if you simply close up the eDGe when you want to set it aside. When you reopen it, simply press the Menu button to wake it up. If you want to read on the eInk side, or simply conserve battery life without suspending the eDGe or turning it off, you can turn off just the LCD display.

I personally recommend you power down the eDGe (by holding down the Rotate button on the bezel) when you put your eDGe into a case for travelling or storage since the eDGe does generate some heat, and so that you don’t lose battery time.

Here are some forum posts by people and how they’re using their eDGe:
- http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...24-hour-review
- http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...he-eDGe-Review
- http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...ok-for-a-while
- http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...my-Android-Art

(Continued in enTourage eDGe and Pocket eDGe Welcome Basket - Part 2 - Getting Help & Tutorials, Great Accessories, Great Apps, Getting Books)

Last edited by borisb; 12-18-2010 at 05:39 PM.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:01 PM   #2
canezila
Edge User

Great idea, borisb!

Advert
Old 11-05-2010, 01:20 PM   #3
dontpanic
Edge User

Wow. Boris, thank you, man. Very good idea.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:24 PM   #4
kenjennings
Edge User

I think it goes without saying these three posts need to be made sticky somewhere.

Or collected into an easy-to-find intro web page for the Pocket readers folks.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:42 PM   #5
Snow
Edge User

My compliments to the chef as well. Much appreciated Boris!

Advert
Old 11-05-2010, 03:51 PM   #6
borisb
Edge User

Thanks, and I see my cooking has stuck to the ceilng That's a good thing when making pasta, right?

Old 11-05-2010, 09:07 PM   #7
Chubulor
Edge User

Oh my Lo. You do work for Entourage, boris, just as a volunteer rather than a paid employee...

Old 11-05-2010, 09:17 PM   #8
borisb
Edge User

These forums are what we put into it

Old 11-06-2010, 09:18 AM   #9
StephenC
Edge User

Thanks Boris for taking the time to put these three threads together. I am sure it will come in handy to me as well all the other pocket owners...Again thanks!

Last edited by StephenC; 11-06-2010 at 02:40 PM.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:24 PM   #10
elliebean
Edge User

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I so need this information as I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my pocket edge -- should arrive on Tuesday. I have been searching high and low for information and reviews on Entourage and their products and most of what I have found wasn't too promising. However, this is fantastic. Again, thank you so much for taking the time to cull this information for us newbies!

Old 11-06-2010, 01:45 PM   #11
Dr. T
Edge User

I believe the reviews for the eDGe are unnecessarily pessimistic. Most of them were performed in January-March, and many things have improved since then. I, for one, am quite happy with the device.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:48 AM   #12
Bee
Edge User

I also want to chime in, Boris, and thank you for this easy to read and understand tutorial!

Old 11-13-2010, 08:06 AM   #13
Danielle D
Edge User

I called HSN yesterday morning and was told by the customer service rep that the tablets were sold out and that is why they were no longer being offered on their website.

I'm new to both new forum and tablets...and right now I'm happy with my purchase. The best thing is I have until the end of January to use it and then finally decided if this is what I really want.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:08 AM   #14
Dr. T
Edge User

Hi Danielle, thanks for the information. Please keep us up-to-date on your experiences with the pocket eDGe.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:16 AM   #15
Danielle D
Edge User

Thanks for the welcome. I did transfer some of my epub books on a micro sd card and I have to admit that the ebook read well. I just need to see if I can brighter that screen just a little.