Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-02-2011, 12:30 PM   #1
Emalieee
Emalieee began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Unhappy Dead Kobo?

My Kobo (wifi version) had run out of juice, so I plugged it in to my computer to charge it. While charging, the desktop app recognized that the reader was plugged in and allowed me to sync new books. It then asked me to update the reader's software, and I clicked "yes."

And that's where it all went downhill.

Sometime during the update process, the computer stopped recognizing the device and my Kobo kept looping through the "updating" screen. After about an hour of this, I unplugged it (there was no option to safely remove hardware), and powered my Kobo off. While off, it displayed a static version of the updating screen. Once turned back on, the startup screen appears (ereading: anytime. anyplace) and the loading blocks at the bottom light up. Unfortunately, that's as far as it gets.

I've tried resetting it by pushing the power button for 8 seconds, and then pushing it down again; holding down the power, menu, and d-pad buttons; and using the reset button at the back of the device (multiple times). Every time, it stays on the startup screen, and the blocks keep lighting up over and over again. If I turn it off, it just shows a static version of the startup screen.

I tried charging it fully, and that seems to have made zero difference. Also, the device is just under 2 months old, but I live in Canada and Chapters has a 14-day return policy, so they're of no help to me. I've also contacted Kobo's help desk, but from what I've heard, they take forever to respond.

Any ideas?
Emalieee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:12 PM   #2
jayupark
Enthusiast
jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kindle 3G, Kobo wifi
Call the help desk. Be persistent. Try Chapters too, they may be able to point you in the right direction.
jayupark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2011, 01:13 PM   #3
jayupark
Enthusiast
jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kindle 3G, Kobo wifi
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=129277

read through and post in that thread too (if you have not already)
jayupark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:29 PM   #4
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
yes from that thread earlier you should be able to walk into chapters and get a new one right away.
they're pretty good like that. good luck.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:03 PM   #5
Emalieee

Thanks everyone!
Advert
Old 05-02-2011, 02:39 PM   #6
Emalieee

Update: Called Kobo Customer Service; spoke to a real human being immediately, who was very helpful. They're shipping me a return box and shipping label free of charge, and they'll either repair the reader or send me a new one if it can't be repaired. No arguing, long explanations, or hold music required
Old 05-02-2011, 07:18 PM   #7
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emalieee View Post
Update: Called Kobo Customer Service; spoke to a real human being immediately, who was very helpful. They're shipping me a return box and shipping label free of charge, and they'll either repair the reader or send me a new one if it can't be repaired. No arguing, long explanations, or hold music required
cool. congrats. i've heard nothing but good stories from people with broken kobo's. did you try going into chapters or indigo might have been able to get one on the spot but hey at least you'll get a new or repaired one soon.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote