Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-16-2010, 05:24 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I find the Sony light cover to be very nice. It uses one AAA battery and does not drain the 650's battery at all. I use it sometimes in bed when I cannot have the bedside light on.

Amazon's idea of using power from the Kindle was a bad idea (IMHO). if Sony had done the same thing, I'd not have the cover but a clip on light instead.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:43 PM   #17
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Well in our household we loathe things that use ordinary batteries. I think it stems from our young daughter getting all these annoyingly loud and irritating toys - they all use different batteries and we never had the right ones in. Now we refuse to buy any toys with batteries and she gets nice, quiet toys.

So if Amazon had made the lighted case use AA or AAA batteries, I wouldn't have bought one. I love the fact that it runs off the Kindle's power, even with the decreased battery cycle. Just very convenient.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2010, 05:51 PM   #18
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Amazon's idea of using power from the Kindle was a bad idea (IMHO). if Sony had done the same thing, I'd not have the cover but a clip on light instead.
The integrated battery contacts is what sold me. The elegance of the simple slot mechanism combined with the hidden wires/etc, with no battery lump sold me very quickly, overcoming my usual frugality. ($60 for a cover!?!?! :-) )
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:36 PM   #19
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Unabridged MH Commenary did drain battery while indexing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curstpriest View Post
Yeah.. I think it really depends on how fast you read... My brother reads like 300 wpm and can get 60+ hours from my dxg...
I can read twice this and get much, much less (30-40?)

Either case, it's about 1800-2000 page turns

Also, I don't think dictionaries and such have to be indexed, might be wrong but it should be built into that?
The Unabridged Matthew Henry Commentary at 27.7 Mb (versus 1.5 Mb for a normal book) did drain battery power. I lost 2 bars from the battery meter in one hour so left it connected to the main overnight by which time the indexing was complete. Using it does not require a re-indexing.

However, that has commentary linked to every verse in the Bible which is a lot of entries to the Index File.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:41 PM   #20
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Eneloop batteries are best

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindleWorm View Post
Well in our household we loathe things that use ordinary batteries. I think it stems from our young daughter getting all these annoyingly loud and irritating toys - they all use different batteries and we never had the right ones in. Now we refuse to buy any toys with batteries and she gets nice, quiet toys.

So if Amazon had made the lighted case use AA or AAA batteries, I wouldn't have bought one. I love the fact that it runs off the Kindle's power, even with the decreased battery cycle. Just very convenient.
Buy the Eneloop rechargeable AA and AAA batteries. They last for years. I have 2 AAA Eneloops in my Franklin Bible BIB 475 now for 6 months and they still have retained a charge. My living room grandfather pendulum clock has two Eneloop AA batteries and they don't have to be changed for over THREE YEARS.

When they are changed, they can be simply recharged.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2010, 07:36 PM   #21
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
I'm averaging about every other week. But I keep the Wi-fi off. I do read about 3-4 hours a day, more on the weekend. But I usually load several books at once so processing the books takes a lot of juice.
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:31 PM   #22
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
30 mb book, I see. Thought it was a dictionary or something. I don't see why they don't just integrate the index into the file, I suppose that would add extra whispernet charges.

It's page turns that cost power consumption not hours read, unless we assume that everyone reads at 300 wpm, which is typical for like 95% of the public, it is probably not so of people who read as a hobby.

You could read 1WPM and your kindle will last 5 months
Or you could read 1000WPM and your kindle will last 20 hours

Just pointing this out there...

Unless my unit is severely defective, I sure as hell don't get no weeks worth of reading. I can however complete 4-5 novels that would be 600 pages or so each in paperback, which is probably 2000 page turns on kindle DX on a single charge.

Also when you plug in the USB cable, it charges it pretty quick, so you can easily recharge your device if you only use it for an hour or two a day and you load stuff on/off via usb every few days as well for 20-30 mins.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote