Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-17-2009, 10:48 PM   #1
tufrostie
Enthusiast
tufrostie began at the beginning.

Device: ebookwise 1100, PocketBook 360
Format of books

Hi I would really like to know what format of books you all are reading and were you are downloading them from. I downloaded a book from smashwords, works great. Downloaded samples from Mobipocket they wroked great, but when I downloaded the book I got some funky text, all the books say they downloaded correctly but I cannot read none of them, they all say it is english. Why would a sample work and not the book?
I have done the firmware thing. I downloaded $20 worth of books because the samples worked, did I just waste $20?
tufrostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:34 PM   #2
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
DRM?

Are they DRM'd mobi?

I think the pocketbook reads non-drm mobi, but not DRM mobi?

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2009, 12:25 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tufrostie View Post
Downloaded samples from Mobipocket they wroked great, but when I downloaded the book I got some funky text, all the books say they downloaded correctly but I cannot read none of them, they all say it is english. Why would a sample work and not the book?
It is typical for samples to be DRM-free, even if the full ebook has DRM (encryption). If you bought from mobipocket.com, all their ebooks that you pay for have DRM. They may give you a refund, or you can strip the DRM using mobidedrm (many threads here). Note that doing this on ebooks you bought and only for your own personal use is probably legal in the US (no one can say for sure though, because no court has decided the issue and as a practical matter why would anyone sue over personal use).

The PocketBooks are about to support Adobe DRMed ebooks (ePub and PDF). Or you can routinely strip DRM and buy whatever format you like (MOBI and MS LIT and eReader and Adobe PDF/ePub DRM have all been circumvented).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:24 PM   #4
tufrostie
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
Are they DRM'd mobi?

I think the pocketbook reads non-drm mobi, but not DRM mobi?

Amy
I didnt think so. I didnt see anywere on the site were it said so. I assumed that since the samples worked the books would too.

"It is typical for samples to be DRM-free, even if the full ebook has DRM (encryption). "

Now thats just mean. How is a person supposed to know that their sample will not be in the format of the purchased book?

Last edited by tufrostie; 11-18-2009 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:33 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Mobipocket site does tell you that their books are DRM protected. I'm afraid it's your responsibility to check these things before purchase. Caveat emptor.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2009, 12:49 PM   #6
tufrostie
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Mobipocket site does tell you that their books are DRM protected. I'm afraid it's your responsibility to check these things before purchase. Caveat emptor.
It was my understanding that with the firmware upgrade for the 360 that I could read DRM on it. Which is why I tried a sample first. I just think if you are going to provide a sample of a book it should be in the same format as the purchased book, otherwise how would someone like me (newbie) know? The market is about to be flooded with people like me. Thankfully I have found you guys to help me along. Now I guess I will go try to figure out how to strip DRM. (theres a forum for that too, right )
Old 11-18-2009, 01:18 PM   #7
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
The format of the sample and of the purchased book are the same, the difference is that the DRMed book is encrypted and the sample is not. The Pocketbook's experimental beta firmware does allow you to read DRMed books, but it supports Adobe DRM, not mobipocket drm. Check out booksonboard.com, shortcovers.com, or cyberread.com for books with DRM the Pocketbook can read. Better yet, check your local library to see if they offer ebooks. Adobe provides the most popular DRM for library collections. This would allow you to experiment with the DRM for free.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:55 PM   #8
tufrostie
Enthusiast

Adobe DRM - Is this the same as Adobe Digital Editions?
Thanks for the sites. I will try to find a library that has ebooks, my local one does not, but maybe there is one by my office....

I still say if you are going to provide a sample with a link on the end to buy the book, it should be the same thing, endcrypted or not. Otherwise the sample really isnt a sample it is just an excerpt.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:57 PM   #9
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Tufrostie- check this page for a library near you http://search.overdrive.com/

Adobe DRM is Adobe digital editions (ADE)
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:31 PM   #10
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
...I envy my friends in Eastern Europe, where nobody heard of 'drm'...)))
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:46 PM   #11
tufrostie
Enthusiast

Mine wont read epub.

Last edited by tufrostie; 11-19-2009 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:23 PM   #12
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufrostie View Post
Mine wont read epub.
It won't read epub at all or it won't read DRMed epub, such as what you get from the library? To do the latter you need to update the firmware with the beta firmware which is posted elsewhere on the forum. Another choice is to buy non-drmed ebooks. Smashwords.com and fictionwise.com both sell non-drmed titles (at fictionwise these are called 'multiformat'). There's a lot of good books that work well with the Pocketbook, especially if you like scifi, fantasy, horror, and romance.

Luqman
Old 11-19-2009, 05:24 PM   #13
luqmaninbmore
Da'i

You also might enjoy the ebooks on this website. Both the mobipocket (*.prc) titles and the epub titles will work on the Pocketbook. So will the PDFs.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:06 PM   #14
tufrostie
Enthusiast

I did the firmware upgrade. So far I have only been able to open the two books I got from smashwords on it. I down loaded a book from booksonboard in epub and it wont open it, I can see it in the folder but it just flashes when I click on it. When I checked the info on the book in the folder it had all the right info, 374 kb EPUB file, but it wont open it, it just flashes then nothing. I will try books from here, I didnt even think about it. I do have fictionwise content already for my eb1150, I will try one of those files when I get home.
Its just a bummer to buy a book in a format you know is supposed to work and it doesnt.
Thank you for your help. Everyone in this forum is great.
I really like this reader, the screen on it is great and the size and the cover are awesome, I just wish I could read what I bought.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:21 PM   #15
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
Tufrostie, what exactly version of firmware do you have on your PB?
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote