Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 05-08-2015, 06:37 PM   #1
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Alternate calibre Auto-update solution for OSX

I know there is a sticky thread with an updater app to update calibre on OSX, which may well be serving people well... but I had a neat approach to managing calibre updates on linux, which I experimentally ported to the OSX build as well. I am curious what people think of it.
Hopefully, someone will think it is useful.

I don't really know how well it will work, since I can't test it without a Mac, but I have high hopes.

The code resides on GitHub.
The following one-liner (pasted into the Terminal) should install the necessary scripts:
Code:
sudo -v && wget -nv -O- https://github.com/eli-schwartz/calibre-installer/raw/master/osx/calibre-installer.sh | sudo sh -
What this does:
  • Installs a script at /usr/bin/calibre-upgrade.sh which can be run to install or upgrade calibre.
    • Checks online first to see if a new version is available.
    • If a new version is available, shutdown running instances of calibre and/or calibre-server.
    • Download and extract calibre.app to the Applications drawer.
    • Make symlinks for the command-line tools in /usr/bin/
  • Installs a launchd service which will run automatically early every Friday morning (6:00 AM) and invoke the upgrade service.

Any suggestions, improvements, fixes, or ludicrous mistakes, feel free to tell me about them. I won't get offended, since I know full well I don't know what I am doing when it comes to Mac.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:31 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Slight update.

This seems to be working well enough for at least one person, who has kindly provided one or two slight fixes but other than that it seems to be successful.

eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 05:11 PM   #3
hhtien1408
Enthusiast
hhtien1408 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T2
Thanks a lot for your useful application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hhtien1408 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoupdate, calibre, launchd, osx