Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-04-2014, 10:48 AM   #31
Lin2412
Grand Sorceress
Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I am honestly trying to give this book a chance, but I keep on putting it off because of the volume of the series too (one of the reasons). I'm intrigued by this in the first place because I wanted to go over my comfort zone genres and ultimate fantasy books present a great deal of different to what I usually go for. So far in the first chapter I'm trying to relate with it, but for now it's still an attempt I hope to be more enthusiastic about some other time after.
Lin2412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:18 PM   #32
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
I found Gardens of the Moon very...tough. There's a lot of characters and not any information on what's going on.

I decided to revisit it again down the road. Re-read it before tackling book 2. I actually do this with series I'm reading as new books come out anyway.

Anyway, that helped, I read book 2, but I'm still not sure I'm a big fan. There's a lot going on and not a lot of explaining anywhere. I felt like I liked a couple of the narrative threads in book 2 (the historian, for example) and didn't like or, occasionally, really understand the others very well.

Might try to revisit book 3 the same way - I'll revisit book 1 and 2 beforehand - maybe late this year.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:48 PM   #33
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin2412 View Post
I am honestly trying to give this book a chance, but I keep on putting it off because of the volume of the series too (one of the reasons). I'm intrigued by this in the first place because I wanted to go over my comfort zone genres and ultimate fantasy books present a great deal of different to what I usually go for. So far in the first chapter I'm trying to relate with it, but for now it's still an attempt I hope to be more enthusiastic about some other time after.

If I'm reading this correctly, you shouldn't pick this series just yet. If even the author says you either hit the ground running or you're swamped, then it's not the right series to get into fantasy. It might actually turn you off of the genre, while that would not have happened had you started out with something easier.

I'd suggest something a lot easier; a work that you can jump right into, and understand exactly what's happening from the beginning.. Think The Hobbit by Tolkien, The Elfstones of Shannara by Terry Brooks (one of the best in the Shannara world IMHO), The Elenium and The Tamuli (in that order) by David Eddings, or The Belgariad and The Malloreon (also in that order), also by David Eddings. Other possibilities are The Dark Elf Trilogy and The Icewind Dale Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore (in that order, they comprise the first 6 books of the Legend of Drizzt series).

That's all easy fantasy; most of the books are a quick read, but well worth it. Most of these books are 300-400 paperback pages long, so you don't need to slug through a 1200 page tome to find out if you like fantasy.

Last edited by Katsunami; 03-04-2014 at 01:51 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:07 PM   #34
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
Might try to revisit book 3 the same way - I'll revisit book 1 and 2 beforehand - maybe late this year.
Once I finished book 1, I picked the audiobook from Audible and have been "re-reading" it over the past couple of days during my commute. I have managed a couple AHA moments already. Liked the narrator enough that I picked up books 2 and 3 (the narrator seems to change after book 3 and only the first 5 books are available currently). I plan to following the same plan. Finish the book and start again with the audiobook. So it's working for me.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:14 PM   #35
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
If I'm reading this correctly, you shouldn't pick this series just yet. If even the author says you either hit the ground running or you're swamped, then it's not the right series to get into fantasy. It might actually turn you off of the genre, while that would not have happened had you started out with something easier.
Oh yeah... This series really shouldn't be used as an entry point to the fantasy genre. I've been reading fantasy for more than 40 years (actually much more) and the first book was one hard slog. About 3 chapters into book 2 and still a bit confused with multiple new characters, though we aren't dropped into the middle of something confusing.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:12 AM   #36
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
I gave it another 70 pages last night before I tapped out. I've got far too many books to get to to spend so much time with one I'm not feeling or that I have to wrestle with. I've been reading fantasy for decades and I can breeze through things like the Dune series but this book genuinely stumped me.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:33 PM   #37
jgaiser
Omnivorous

Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
I gave it another 70 pages last night before I tapped out. I've got far too many books to get to to spend so much time with one I'm not feeling or that I have to wrestle with. I've been reading fantasy for decades and I can breeze through things like the Dune series but this book genuinely stumped me.
Nothing wrong with that. If the book doesn't work for you there's no use struggling with it. I've given up on numerous books that just didn't work.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:30 PM   #38
Lin2412
Grand Sorceress
Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:

I'd suggest something a lot easier; a work that you can jump right into, and understand exactly what's happening from the beginning.. Think The Hobbit by Tolkien, The Elfstones of Shannara by Terry Brooks (one of the best in the Shannara world IMHO), The Elenium and The Tamuli (in that order) by David Eddings, or The Belgariad and The Malloreon (also in that order), also by David Eddings. Other possibilities are The Dark Elf Trilogy and The Icewind Dale Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore (in that order, they comprise the first 6 books of the Legend of Drizzt series).

That's all easy fantasy; most of the books are a quick read, but well worth it. Most of these books are 300-400 paperback pages long, so you don't need to slug through a 1200 page tome to find out if you like fantasy.
Thank you for the recommendations, I've been told of the Elfstones of Shannara before but haven't gotten around to try it. I'm going to follow your advice and hold my reading (attempts, anyway) of Malazan.

I think I'll be reading The Hobbit if that's the case. It's already part of my pending lists, and I'm planning to read the book before watching the movie, unless the movie strays far away from the book, I won't be disappointed.
Lin2412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:22 PM   #39
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
I think I'll be reading The Hobbit if that's the case. It's already part of my pending lists, and I'm planning to read the book before watching the movie, unless the movie strays far away from the book, I won't be disappointed.
I'm a firm believer in movie first, then book whenever possible. That way the images on-screen aren't fighting with how you pictured the characters in your head, and the book can only add depth to the story you saw in the film.

The Hobbit is, however, a highly appropriate introduction to the genre.

Back on topic, Malazan is getting bumped for a re-read/listen of The Way of Kings followed by the new Stormlight book, after I've finished the Codex Alera audiobooks and the Hyperion ebook...

But, it's still ahead of Recluce
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:37 AM   #40
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Lin2412 - I think you should try something a bit more 'gentle' to start off.

I would suggest the Earthsea Trilogy, by Ursula K. Le Guin.

From Wiki:

Each novel in the series has received a literary award, including the 1969 Boston Globe-Horn Book Award for Fiction & the 1979 Lewis Carroll Shelf Award for A Wizard of Earthsea, the 1972 Newbery Honor for The Tombs of Atuan, the 1973 National Book Award for Children's Books for The Farthest Shore, the 1990 Nebula Award for Best Novel for Tehanu, and the 2002 World Fantasy Award for Best Novel for The Other Wind.

This will be a much more accessible introduction to reading Fantasy.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:47 AM   #41
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
I think the movie and book versions of a work should be considered separately in almost all cases. In this case, the movieS have added quite a bit of material that isn't in the book. (There are several theorie$ as to why.) I would read the book first in this case since you are looking for an introduction to the genre and the stuff added into the movies muddles the fun adventure story for me.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:23 PM   #42
jgaiser
Omnivorous

Ok... I know folks are going to get tired of me and Malazan, but these books have hooked me and I've continued onto book 2 (Deadhouse Gates).

I'm about 1/3 of the way in and I so want to wring the neck of Felisin Paran sooooo bad. No spoilers, but does she get any better or do need to continue to hate her?

It's been slow going (only because reading time has been limited), but I think I'm enjoying book 2 a lot more than book 1.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:45 PM   #43
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
If you really hate a character, it's also a very good one
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:10 PM   #44
jgaiser
Omnivorous

Quote:
If you really hate a character, it's also a very good one
Yes, probably. It means that Erikson has done a good job of developing the character. But Oh My God.... I haven't had a character in a long time that I just wanted to see die.

Again no spoilers, she has been through a lot in her 15 years, but she is a b*tch and and I just want to slap her alongside the head.

Reading a couple things online leads me to believe that I *will* feel sympathy for her, but...
Old 03-13-2014, 10:05 AM   #45
missimpossible
Groupie
missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2, Clara 2e, Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Ok... I know folks are going to get tired of me and Malazan, but these books have hooked me and I've continued onto book 2 (Deadhouse Gates).

I'm about 1/3 of the way in and I so want to wring the neck of Felisin Paran sooooo bad. No spoilers, but does she get any better or do need to continue to hate her?

It's been slow going (only because reading time has been limited), but I think I'm enjoying book 2 a lot more than book 1.
I'm so jealous of you getting to read DG for the first time - enjoy! I read the whole series in the first six months of 2012, and DG is still definitely one of my favourites.

Agree with what others are saying about GotM being a slightly "odd" start to the series and sometimes a bit difficult to get into. Like another poster was saying, you can really feel the eight years' difference between the first and second books. I know a lot of people aren't as keen on the latter books, but I thought the whole series, with the possible exception of Reaper's Gale thoroughly compelling.
missimpossible is offline   Reply With Quote