Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 02-17-2011, 07:04 PM   #1
Qbert
Enthusiast
Qbert began at the beginning.

Device: none
Cool Atari Portfolio

In the movie Terminator 2 the young John Connor uses a modified Atari Portfolio as a code breaker to steal cash from ATMs. I've heard these machines are very versatile and would love to see one adapted into an e-reader.

Atari Portfolio
Qbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:28 PM   #2
TheMaDHaCkER
TheMaDHaCkER began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Tungstin
Atari

Are you able to still get Atari portfolio's?
TheMaDHaCkER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:32 PM   #3
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
You can find them in some places like eBay. Let the bidding begin!
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:22 PM   #4
HowGozit
Connoisseur
HowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS650, Kobo, Asus Tab 8, iPod Touch, Galaxy Tab, Surface Pr2
Red face Portfolio...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbert View Post
In the movie Terminator 2 the young John Connor uses a modified Atari Portfolio as a code breaker to steal cash from ATMs. I've heard these machines are very versatile and would love to see one adapted into an e-reader.

Atari Portfolio
Shoot,

Those things are ancient. You may want to remember that they may have around 128 KBytes of RAM - of which about half was available for storage. There were expansion cards (I hear rumors that they went to 4MB). The one I bought in 1990 had no expansion. And (quoting from Wikipaedia - mine won't turn on now) "The LCD is monochrome without backlight and had 240x64 pixels or 40 characters x 8 lines."

Lots of luck getting a useful reading experience out of that...

I'd get one as a curiosity now - not for use..

Ross
HowGozit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:21 AM   #5
Qbert
Enthusiast
Qbert began at the beginning.

Device: none
Cool

I know they sold a lot back in the day. I haven't investigated any online communities, but would like to see what upgrades they have done. I know a few years ago some companies were still selling NOS Atari 400 and 800 PCs.

My Atari 7800 console of 1990 vintage still works. Sad that companies like Atari and Sega are no longer in hardware.

Sega Sand Buggy
Qbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:35 AM   #6
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I wanted one of those back in the day. I used the similar, but more advanced, NEC MP 780 for a long time. I dropped it one night, or I'd still be using it.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote