Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #1
celticgirl
Enthusiast
celticgirl began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo SONY
Onyx boox M92 and Calibre?

Hi everyone! I am seriously considering buying the Onyxboox M92. Could anyone tell me if they use Calibre with their OB M92? If I use Calibre would I then be able to us B&N to buy books? Also with M92 are you able to have books directly download to the M92 or do you have to always use your Mac or PC to put the books on the M92? I asked the folks at Onyxboox, but the answer was a bit vague.
Thanks for any advice!
celticgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:59 PM   #2
FMP
Enthusiast
FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: m92
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticgirl View Post
Could anyone tell me if they use Calibre with their OB M92?
I do, sending books from my netbook to the device. This works straightforwardly and well (for instance, the M92 recognises Calibre metadata).
FMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #3
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
M92 has WiFi ability, so you may connect internet and probably also buy the books. I know it was not possible to browse secure www pages (https) in older firmwares, I am not sure about the current state...
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:45 PM   #4
celticgirl
Enthusiast

oh great! Glad calibre and onyxboox work together! From what I'm gathering, calibre will be able to convert ebooks from wherever I buy them to be able to read on the M92.( i hope!) I'm looking forward to getting started on this. One more question- will it read scanned PDF's or do I have to OCR them? Thanks!
Old 07-28-2012, 07:07 PM   #5
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Yes, it reads scanned books in pdf. I had problems with Google scanned books at certain zooms (at least in older firmware). My guess is that it run out of memory for page to be displayed.

Maybe that rescaling to lover picture resolution would help, but I always managed to find acceptable zoom that M92 was able to show and was still pleasant to read...

The only disadvantage of scanned pdf is that flipping pages is slower (but acceptable), you cannot lookup words in dictionary (there is no way to input the word in this case) and of course you cannot search doc for text or choose and export notes.

But scribling with the pen works fine and you may create a new pdf with scribles included.

Also in the latest firmware there is still beta-version of a new pdf reader, which has also modes for comics reading and scientific 2 collumn doc reading.
Advert
Old 07-28-2012, 08:42 PM   #6
celticgirl
Enthusiast

Thanks Mono! The scanned PDF's I have are research articles for school. That would be about it for scanned pages. I trust you're happy with your choice?
Old 07-29-2012, 04:12 AM   #7
Mono
Mono

Yes, I am happy.

Keep in mind, it is not tablet. It is aimed mainly for reading documents. It is possible to use web browser, but it is rudimentary. e-books are not very suitable for web browsing.

Not everything is perfect (the user interface might be more user friendly to speed up workflow), but I am not aware about better solution on 10" e-paper.

There are probably better solutions (I mean programs for reading, anotating and handling pdfs) on tablets, but I work too much with LCD display and need e-paper solution....
Old 07-29-2012, 09:22 AM   #8
celticgirl
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
Yes, I am happy.

Keep in mind, it is not tablet. It is aimed mainly for reading documents. It is possible to use web browser, but it is rudimentary. e-books are not very suitable for web browsing.

Not everything is perfect (the user interface might be more user friendly to speed up workflow), but I am not aware about better solution on 10" e-paper.

There are probably better solutions (I mean programs for reading, anotating and handling pdfs) on tablets, but I work too much with LCD display and need e-paper solution....
Yes, it's not a tablet. I don't want a tablet. E-ink was key! I despise reading research papers on a LCD screen. It's peculiar to me why it is so difficult with all the technology that we have that the choices are slim for 1) Large screen for PDF's 2) e-ink 3) Good annotation capability 4) Browser to buy e books for pleasure reading. I don't get it.
Are you in the states? I am planning on buying mine from onyxboox.com I guess it's in GA. Was wondering if you were happy with the customer service.
One last question- about the browser- so you're saying that ebooks aren't very suitable for web viewing. But you are able to buy books from your device? Or do you have to use your mac or pc to buy them and then transfer? I'm going on vaca and plan on doing a lot of ebook reading.
What is the point to have a crappy browser anyway? I don't get that.
Yes, I am clearly a newbie!
Thanks for your time!
Old 07-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #9
Mono
Mono

No, I am from Europe. There is the thread on this forum, where to buy M92 and some user experience.

Generally, there is no official Onyx seller in US or Europe, despite the web address used... If I would be to buy 2nd M92, I would choose between e-shop in my country (because of VAT and probably easier replacement in case of hw problems) or Booxtor shop (Germany). Thay have good price, good service and free delivery (even international) till end of this month...

I do not have experience buying books from M92. I cannot tell you, whether it is really possible...

Web browsing is usable on M92, it is not by any means so comfortable as on PC. The browser interface is simpler than browsers 10-15 years ago. General problem with e-ink and web is that most of pages have animated pictures and repeated redrawing the screen is very unpleasant on e-ink... And depending on the page, the color might be a problem...

It works OK for Google, Wiki and similar simply designed pages...

I also do not understand, why there are only 3 10" e-ink reader "manufacturers" - Amazon, Onyx and Pocket Book. To my opinion, 10" e-ink reader with good SW would be bestseller in academic and research users... I wish Onyx would spot the oportunity that comes once or twice in the life....

I would say, M92 is now quite OK for reading and annotating academic papers. With a new pdf reader (now beta or perhaps alpha version) it will be even better.

And if Onyx improves at least little bit sort of cumbersome interface, it will become just perfect (for academic reading).
Old 07-29-2012, 11:01 AM   #10
celticgirl
Enthusiast

Amazon's DX is useless b/c you can't annotate. Now how much sense does that make? None! I looked into Jetbook color. Was completely fascinated with color e-ink, but no browser! The representative though was very nice and responsive to deal with. No browser, whats up with that?
Thanks again for your time Mono!
Old 07-29-2012, 11:20 AM   #11
Mono
Mono

Yes, for what I needed (annotate and scrible in text) is Amazon DX priceless. I could have had it for free, but I refused and had to wait for M92 to come.

And even thought I complain here and there and I am "frustrated" by the fact it could be better, I am really very happy to have it. ONYX