Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #1
legenda128
legenda128 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Exclamation Duokan on Kindle 4 NT

Could someone please tell me how to free RAM on my Kindle 4 NT because when I try to install Duokan (tried 2 different versions) it says that I need 16 Mb Ram and I have 8 Mb? Tried to reboot milion times but without success. Please help me.

I use 4.1.0 FW and
the message I get is:

Duokan used 9MB
Need 14Mb
Available 9MB

Not enough space

How do I free some RAM?

THX

Last edited by legenda128; 06-28-2012 at 12:55 PM.
legenda128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:27 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the dev forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:01 AM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by legenda128 View Post
Could someone please tell me how to free RAM on my Kindle 4 NT because when I try to install Duokan (tried 2 different versions) it says that I need 16 Mb Ram and I have 8 Mb? Tried to reboot milion times but without success. Please help me.

I use 4.1.0 FW and
the message I get is:

Duokan used 9MB
Need 14Mb
Available 9MB

Not enough space

How do I free some RAM?

THX
What hacks have you installed? One of them may be consuming all your free RAM. You can try uninstalling hacks (especially hacks that stay memory-resident), to see if it frees up enough RAM.

DETAILS: If we assume that what Duokan is calling "space" refers to total RAM, and not heap or stack storage or other system resources (also stored in RAM, but can be exhausted while plenty of RAM is still free), then: 1) Running out of resources is usually caused by a programming error. 2) Running out of RAM is caused by some persistent background task (or hack) consuming too much memory.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:26 AM   #4
legenda128

I dont have any hacks installed. I even did factory reset on my kindle.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:33 AM   #5
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I dont have any hacks installed. I even did factory reset on my kindle.
Factory reset does not uninstall hacks. So either your kindle firmware and configuration (and any residual not-completely uninstalled hacks) is not compatible with the version of Duokan you tried to install, or that version of Duokan is not compatible with your kindle. You could try using the "simple debricking" procedure to reset your main partition back to a clean (unhacked) version. There is a sticky thread for that. Then try to install Duokan again.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:38 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
I use 4.1.0 FW and
the message I get is:

Duokan used 9MB
Need 14Mb
Available 9MB

Not enough space

How do I free some RAM?

THX
Is that the full text of the message?
I don't see the connection between "space" and "free ram" in what you posted.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:02 AM   #7
legenda128

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Is that the full text of the message?
I don't see the connection between "space" and "free ram" in what you posted.
Yes that is the full text of the message. I do think that I have more then 8mb of free space available on my Kindle because I deleted all books so it's practicaly empty.

Last edited by legenda128; 06-29-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:04 AM   #8
geekmaster

Quote:
Yes that is the full text of the message. I do think that I have more then 8mb of free space available on my Kindle because I deleted all book so it's practicaly empty.
The books are not stored in RAM. The "free space" is probably RAM. RAM is where currently running programs are stored. Typically, only one book (or part of a book) is store in RAM while you are reading it.

Like I said before, you may need to COMPLETELY remove any hacks that were installed before you did the factory reset, because some hacks may still be loading into RAM and using memory space.

Please read what I said in the earlier posts. You post indicates confusion about exactly WHAT "(memory) space" and RAM are...

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-29-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #9
legenda128

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Factory reset does not uninstall hacks. So either your kindle firmware and configuration (and any residual not-completely uninstalled hacks) is not compatible with the version of Duokan you tried to install, or that version of Duokan is not compatible with your kindle. You could try using the "simple debricking" procedure to reset your main partition back to a clean (unhacked) version. There is a sticky thread for that. Then try to install Duokan again.
I repeat that I dont have any hacks installed. I have 4.1.0. firmware which I updated from Amazon. Version of Duokan that I tried to install is (K4 None Touch)2012-06-08.C11296.rtm which consists of two directories, K4_4.0.0_to_4.0.1_░Š▒ż and K4_4.1.0_░Š▒ż. I've copied the second because of FW version I have. After that one I tried also (K4 None Touch)2012*06*01.C10934.rtm but with same result.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:10 AM   #10
geekmaster

Quote:
I repeat that I dont have any hacks installed. I have 4.1.0. firmware which I updated from Amazon. Version of Duokan that I tried to install is (K4 None Touch)2012-06-08.C11296.rtm which consists of two directories, K4_4.0.0_to_4.0.1_░Š▒ż and K4_4.1.0_░Š▒ż. I've copied the second because of FW version I have. After that one I tried also (K4 None Touch)2012*06*01.C10934.rtm but with same result.
Then according to your information, Duokan must be too large to work on (your localized version of) 4.1.0 firmware... Does Doukan come with instructions to disable any of the system startup scripts to free some RAM? Or... is it just not "ready for prime time"? Perhaps the Duokan Lite version uses less RAM -- did you try it?

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-29-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #11
legenda128

Could you guide me then to version which i need to DL and will work with mine device, please?
Old 06-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #12
legenda128

I think I have same problem as goofy in this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...n+2012&page=37

He managed to resolve his problem by rebooting but I tried that also with no help.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #13
geekmaster

I suppose it is possible that your persistent user store (/dev/mmcblk0p3 mounted on /var/local) is full. You could try zeroing it out and rebooting, so it gets rebuilt. That will delete your collections and settings, making your kindle look "fresh out of the box".

If you want to flash main (and perhaps the matching kernel), the 4.0.1 versions are in the pastebin MIRRORS in the first post of the "simple debricking" sticky thread.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:00 PM   #14
legenda128

Ok thank you, but how do I ''zero persistent user store''? Could you explain that a bit more to me?
One more thing, I've bought my Kindle 10 days ago and I put max 10 books on it. How did I then occupied so much memory? I've also rebooted my device couple times.

Today I tried with newest version of Duokan ((K4 None Touch)2012-06-29.C12125.rtm) and now I lack 40 Mb of space??

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/32/kidle.jpg/

Last edited by legenda128; 06-29-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:49 PM   #15
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Ok thank you, but how do I ''zero persistent user store''? Could you explain that a bit more to me?
One more thing, I've bought my Kindle 10 days ago and I put max 10 books on it. How did I then occupied so much memory? I've also rebooted my device couple times.

Today I tried with newest version of Duokan ((K4 None Touch)2012-06-29.C12125.rtm) and now I lack 40 Mb of space??

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/32/kidle.jpg/
Nice picture, why don't you report your problems (with picture) to the Duokan developers at their web-site or use their English language e-mail address?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote