Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-25-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
jape
jape began at the beginning.

Device: none
touch stops responding

Hi All,

I've got a week old kobo touch (fw 1.9.16) and customer support hasn't been helpful so I thought I'd try here. They were quick to ask me to reset my device (which I did) but since then have been silent even after pinging them.

What I've observed several times is that while reading, the touch functionality stops responding completely. The device has not crashed since it still responds to the home button. Once on the home screen touch still does not respond. Sometimes a sleep/unsleep will correct it and if not a power down/up definitely does.

I've been reading maybe 3 hours a day, and usually change pages with a swipe. Frequency of touch stoping to respond is about 4 times a day.

Any thoughts or pointers? I've got about a week left to return it back to chapters.
jape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:01 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I've seen that happen once or twice, but it is very rare for me.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:06 PM   #3
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I've only had it happen a few times. But not with the newest firmware.

Last edited by The Terminator; 05-19-2012 at 12:52 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:56 AM   #4
jape
jape began at the beginning.

After quite a bit of use I now think that my problem is with trying to use a swipe gesture to turn a page. Kobo touch seems to not handle this well. Using a tap gesture seems to cause far less problems. In fact I'm not sure I've ever seen a touchscreen lockup when using a tap to change pages.
jape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:13 PM   #5
Wald07
Audiophile
Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexux7 2nd Gen & Kobo Touch
I tap as well, but I still have to power down occasionally to restore touch functionality.
Go figure.
Wald07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:07 AM   #6
bhdavis
Enthusiast
bhdavis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bhdavis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bhdavis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

It sounds like some sort of memory leak problem with the software. Memory leaks are a PITA to track down too, which perhaps explains why it's taking them so long to eliminate it.
bhdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:25 AM   #7
Jeff1192
Connoisseur
Jeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toys

Device: Kobo touch
I still have this from time to time as well. I use my KT pretty much every day and it happened to me yesterday but the last time before that was at least a few months ago. So it`s a pretty rare problem which might also help explain their difficulty in tracking it down.
Jeff1192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:38 AM   #8
Wald07
Audiophile
Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Exactly! Same here.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #9
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wald07 View Post
I tap as well, but I still have to power down occasionally to restore touch functionality.
Go figure.
Same here. I tap/swipe depending on the hand that I'm using.
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:37 PM   #10
geormes
Groupie
geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Kobo Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Go figure.
Same here.
geormes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:24 AM   #11
Redsgj
Redsgj knows what time it isRedsgj knows what time it isRedsgj knows what time it isRedsgj knows what time it isRedsgj knows what time it isRedsgj knows what time it isRedsgj knows what time it isRedsgj knows what time it isRedsgj knows what time it isRedsgj knows what time it isRedsgj knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Touch
I bought a Kobo Touch a few weeks ago. It stopped responding just occasionally at first (hard to say though as I wasn't using it regularly as I was reading a book on my Kindle). Then when I was using it more, it was doing it a least once a day so I decided to return it. I exchanged it for a new one just over a week ago and the new one hasn't done it once yet!! And I've been using it at least twice a day since I exchanged it.

Maybe some are worse than others??
Redsgj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:28 AM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I saw this on the wife's Touch yesterday.. The screen went non responsive but the button still worked.

Now I know I have not encountered that issue, but I do wonder if thsat might be related toi power management settings... I have mine set to sleep after 10, and power off after 30 so I do tend to reboot it a lot
Old 05-24-2012, 10:35 AM   #13
Wald07
Audiophile

Had mine set like the same as yours initialy, and still had same issues.
Have it set now for 60 & 60 and occaisionaly it still freezes. No change in frequency...
What does the Missus have hers set to?

I think it's just a special exclusive Kobo issue!
Old 05-24-2012, 10:36 AM   #14
morantis
Zealot
morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have noticed on a different device that there will be a spot on the screen where it thinks it is getting a light touch and this cause the system to wait and see what is occuring. When held at a certain angle I can almost see the touch layers moving a bit.
morantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #15
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Had mine set like the same as yours initialy, and still had same issues.
Have it set now for 60 & 60 and occaisionaly it still freezes. No change in frequency...
What does the Missus have hers set to?

I think it's just a special exclusive Kobo issue!
Hers was set to never power off....