Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-14-2011, 05:26 AM   #16
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Personally what I do in that situation is modify the author value so it matches all the other books in the same series. It is more important to me to see books in a series in order than to care about who the coauthor was, but you may feel differently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I've gone ahead and changed the "author" field as suggested, and am now going to try the empty book place holders.
If you 'Edit metadata' for the individual books, you can just set the author sort to have just the 'main' author (it becomes red, but it's deliberate so it's ok), then it displays with both but sorts on just the one.
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:04 PM   #17
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
In theory your startup sort should ensure the titles list alphabetically when not in a the two series fields. You might want to make sure your Set the maximum number of sort levels tweak is high enough. The default of 5 should be fine but if you dropped the number to 3 it could screw up your order. You might also want to investigate the Control sorting of titles and series in the library display tweak.

Good Luck.
Thank you. Unfortunately, both settings were set correctly, but my non-series books are still out of order.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:10 PM   #18
Sami
Sami began at the beginning.

Device: Ipod Touch, Sony 350
I had the same problem with anthologies containing time skipping stories with Kelley Armstrong. I used sigil and split the anthology into the separate books putting them into their correct series order and listing the name of the anthology as a tag.

I've done this with many anthologies that had parts from various series in them. It does add more steps as far as chopping the book to pieces, reimporting, manually editing the metadata and such but I only have to deal with 1 author column and 2 series columns (1 for the main series and 1 for combining multiple series that are the same universe).
Sami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:37 PM   #19
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Using the empty books as place holders is wonderful and I am now using the following code as suggested :

Code:
sort_columns_at_startup = (('authors', 0), ('#seriesinfo', 0), ('series', 0), ('title', 0))
Everything seems to be working, except: How do I get the titles to list in alphabetical order when both the "seriesinfo" and "series" fields are empty?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
In theory your startup sort should ensure the titles list alphabetically when not in a the two series fields. You might want to make sure your Set the maximum number of sort levels tweak is high enough. The default of 5 should be fine but if you dropped the number to 3 it could screw up your order. You might also want to investigate the Control sorting of titles and series in the library display tweak.

Good Luck.
Quote:
Thank you. Unfortunately, both settings were set correctly, but my non-series books are still out of order.
------------------------------------------------------------

Conclusion of Issue above:

After much tinkering, I've come to the conclusion that I have to choose. I can either sort by:
Code:
(('authors', 0), ('series', 0), ('title', 0))
or by:
Code:
(('authors', 0), ('#seriesinfo', 0), ('title', 0))
I can not, however, sort by both '#seriesinfo' & 'series' if I also want to also sort by 'title'.
Quote:
(('authors', 0), ('#seriesinfo', 0), ('series', 0), ('title', 0))
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:09 PM   #20
Fi3ryPh03n1x
Fi3ryPh03n1x began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I'm here because I, too, have a single eBook that is assigned to different series. I want my eBook to be assigned to multiple series and sort by series within all of them without having to duplicate the book for each.

To that end, I have a suggestion for future builds of Calibre. For my example, I'll use one of my eBooks that fits this need: The Reversal, By Michael Connelly. It is part of the Mickey Haller series and the Harry Bosch series and needs to be assigned to both. To accomplish this, it seems to me that it wouldn't be too difficult to allow multiple entries for the series column. It could be in a large box format... something like this:

|..Mickey Haller..........|..3.......|
|.............................|...........|
|__________________________|

Having more than one entry for the series would autmoatically 'ghost' the entry into two (or more) separate line items in the database. Clicking on any item to edit the entry would take them back to the same entry since they all refer to the same item. Also, multiple entries for this field would not increase the book count, author count, etc. It would just make multiple referrers to the same item.

Since I'm not a programmer, I don't really know how hard this would be to accomplish, or if the concept is compatible with Calibre at all. But I have seen enough comments on the need for this feature to think it worthy of consideration, anyway.

Last edited by Fi3ryPh03n1x; 03-31-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Fi3ryPh03n1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:52 PM   #21
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fi3ryPh03n1x View Post
I'm here because I, too, have a single eBook that is assigned to different series. I want my eBook to be assigned to multiple series and sort by series within all of them without having to duplicate the book for each....
To accomplish this, it seems to me that it wouldn't be too difficult to allow multiple entries for the series column.
Which series entry would you sort on when you sorted by series? Which value would you use for the filename when Save to Disk had series in the template? For readers and programs that use single valued series, which would you put in there? When editing metadata and assigning multiple selected books to a series, what would you do with the multiple listed series? Delete one and keep others? Delete the first only? Delete all? Keep all and add the new one?
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:11 PM   #22
Fi3ryPh03n1x
Fi3ryPh03n1x began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Which series entry would you sort on when you sorted by series? Which value would you use for the filename when Save to Disk had series in the template? For readers and programs that use single valued series, which would you put in there? When editing metadata and assigning multiple selected books to a series, what would you do with the multiple listed series? Delete one and keep others? Delete the first only? Delete all? Keep all and add the new one?
Good questions. Rather than address each question separately, I'll briefly elaborate on my idea and see if it helps address the issues you brought up. The group of series could have an assigned 'Primary' checkbox. You'd simply check the series that trumps the others. The primary entry could be used for Save to Disk, NextInSeries Indexing, etc. Editing multiple books in a series could affect the primary entry. All other entries could be considered the 'shortcut/ghost' entries I am suggesting.

By the way, I reposted this suggestion in a new thread as it seemed a bit off topic from where this thread was moving. Maybe we could move the discussion there instead. You should be able to find a link in my profile.
Fi3ryPh03n1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:16 PM   #23
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fi3ryPh03n1x View Post
I'm here because I, too, have a single eBook that is assigned to different series. I want my eBook to be assigned to multiple series and sort by series within all of them without having to duplicate the book for each.

To that end, I have a suggestion for future builds of Calibre. For my example, I'll use one of my eBooks that fits this need: The Reversal, By Michael Connelly. It is part of the Mickey Haller series and the Harry Bosch series and needs to be assigned to both. To accomplish this, it seems to me that it wouldn't be too difficult to allow multiple entries for the series column. It could be in a large box format... something like this:

|..Mickey Haller..........|..3.......|
|__________________________|

Having more than one entry for the series would autmoatically 'ghost' the entry into two (or more) separate line items in the database. Clicking on any item to edit the entry would take them back to the same entry since they all refer to the same item. Also, multiple entries for this field would not increase the book count, author count, etc. It would just make multiple referrers to the same item.

Since I'm not a programmer, I don't really know how hard this would be to accomplish, or if the concept is compatible with Calibre at all. But I have seen enough comments on the need for this feature to think it worthy of consideration, anyway.
Starson17 hit the nail on the head You can't send to 2 different (anything) that are nbot 'tag' type objects.

I reviewed the mentioned authors site.
This is a Micky Haller book, with a character overlap (Characters are usually put into tags.Harry Bosch (Fictitious Person),Micky Haller (Fictitious person).

There is your link (if needed)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote