Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-09-2010, 02:49 PM   #1
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Is anyone taking class notes with Sigil?

I'm using Sigil as my text processor so that I can reproduce the notes with ease in my reader (and have smaller documents!). However, I've just started to use Sigil, so I may be losing out a lot of features. What can Sigil do concerning graphs and formulas? Is there any advice you can give for people who are taking notes in ePub?

Thanks in advance.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 03:30 PM   #2
december
Nameless Being

Regarding formulas, only a few basic mathematical functions can be expressed in HTML which will resize like the rest of your text in an e-book format: this page here for which symbols you'll be able to show successfully.

For more complicated formulas, you'll probably be better off just creating an image of the equation and inserting it into the text like a normal picture or graphic, with the typical "img" HTML tags.

Think of Sigil as primarily a text-editor tool which can insert the occasional picture: it can't create Excel-type graphs, and it can't build complicated equations like MatLab, but it can display any images or screenshots you feed it.

Ultimately, though, the end result will depend on how well the images will display on your e-reader (and if you have a lot of formulas or graphs with very small font, whether you have a zoom-in/zoom-out capability on the device). I'm afraid my own expertise is with the Kindle, not the PocketBook, but these forums are a great resource - I'm sure someone here will be able to tell you which picture sizes will fit your e-reader screen resolution the best.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by december; 10-11-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:39 PM   #3
amoroso
Groupie
amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle for Android, Google Play Books
It is probably a lot of work, but it is possible to include an SVG image containing math in a Sigil ePub document. The popular Inkscape SVG editor can insert LaTeX formatting.
amoroso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:05 PM   #4
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
continuing on the mathematical formula theme, and for a complete Sigil novice (well, a software novice, too), I wonder whether you can help me understand the following: I have .xhtml files with lots of formulas that display very well in a browser (e.g. seemonkey), but when I open them in Sigil a lot of the formulas are lost. Is there anything I can do to rectify this problem? Is there a way to make Sigil understand MathML?
Many thanks!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:18 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I do not believe MathML is part of the 2.0 spec but should be in 3.0 I believe. Anyway, it won't be understood by current reading software. At this time you need to use SVG or capture it as an image.

Read about MathML in our wiki. It includes a pointer to a converter.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 02-05-2011 at 04:22 PM.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:32 PM   #6
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I do not believe MathML is part of the 2.0 spec but should be in 3.0 I believe. Anyway, it won't be understood by current reading software. At this time you need to use SVG or capture it as an image.

Read about MathML in our wiki. It includes a pointer to a converter.

Dale
thanks for the superfast reply!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote