Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-02-2011, 09:07 AM   #16
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Oh, I see, I missed the tweak button even when I was messing with plugins yesterday, right next to it. The assumptions we make...
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:21 AM   #17
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There is one more argument I could make for LN,FN and that is I think the Calibre search works better with names stored that way.
(I finally figured out how to use the forum "quote" feature, I hope.)

On the con side, wouldn't bulk updating of metadata blast it back to FN LN?
Old 01-02-2011, 09:34 AM   #18
unboggling
Wizard

Quote:
# categories_use_field_for_author_name = 'author_sort'
Hmm. I assume the duplication issue would be minor, but that's another of those pesky assumptions i tend to make.

So I could hide the author column and never ever mess with it again. Though I'd have to careful what I allow in author_sort.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:41 AM   #19
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
So I could hide the author column and never ever mess with it again. Though I'd have to careful what I allow in author_sort.
No, assuming I understand you. The tweak changes what is displayed in the tags browser (in the categories). It has no effect on the library view spreadsheet.

That said (and not having thought about this much), you could:

1) set the tweak
2) hide the authors column
3) make a composite custom column showing {author_sort}
4) agree that you cannot edit authors on the library view

and then not mess with author except in edit-metadata. However, I strongly recommend that you don't go down this route. The possible mental and actual data inconsistencies boggle the mind.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:43 AM   #20
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
(I finally figured out how to use the forum "quote" feature, I hope.)

On the con side, wouldn't bulk updating of metadata blast it back to FN LN?
The first "default" option to turn off after installing Calibre imho. Preferences->Behaviour->Download author and title by default when fetching metadata.

Stops your nicely cased titles being overwritten with crappily cased ones from the metadata sources, and similarly for author. So whatever you import them as stays that way when you fetch metadata.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:00 AM   #21
unboggling
Wizard

Quote:
4) agree that you cannot edit authors on the library view
Oh. That squashes that idea. Thanks for disrecommending it, saves me work.

Quote:
The first "default" option to turn off after installing Calibre imho. Preferences->Behaviour->Download author and title by default when fetching metadata.
Another oh. I wonder how many other features I blew past and made untrue assumptions about?
Old 01-02-2011, 10:26 AM   #22
unboggling
Wizard

Thank you all for your help.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:39 AM   #23
kevinrs
Enthusiast
kevinrs began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post

Stops your nicely cased titles being overwritten with crappily cased ones from the metadata sources, and similarly for author. So whatever you import them as stays that way when you fetch metadata.
what I've found where downloading authors can be useful is when the original file has only one author listed, and there should be more. Though, yes, screwed up capitalization, and such on titles bugs me.
kevinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:39 AM   #24
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinrs View Post
what I've found where downloading authors can be useful is when the original file has only one author listed, and there should be more. Though, yes, screwed up capitalization, and such on titles bugs me.
I you do a Single title 'Get metadata' From the Meta-Data Editor window, , there are 1 time override tic boxes for Authors, Cover and Social.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:27 PM   #25
kevinrs
Enthusiast
kevinrs began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I you do a Single title 'Get metadata' From the Meta-Data Editor window, , there are 1 time override tic boxes for Authors, Cover and Social.
I'm seeing 3 options there:
Overwrite author and title
Download Social Metadata
Automatically download cover

so when I've got a book that the downloaded info will add missing authors, it also screws up the title, if someone's entered it with capitalization wrong, or the series added to the end of the title, etc.
kevinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:22 PM   #26
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinrs View Post
I'm seeing 3 options there:
Overwrite author and title
Download Social Metadata
Automatically download cover

so when I've got a book that the downloaded info will add missing authors, it also screws up the title, if someone's entered it with capitalization wrong, or the series added to the end of the title, etc.
Yes because in your case you would want individual options for author and title - right now you overwrite both or neither.

Like I said above I find it so annoying I turn that option off completely, it is just too rare to me there is any benefit to using it (I'm quite happily manually tweaking the title name and author if I ever need to from their filename default but it is the exception rather than the rule). As for multiple authors - by doing them manually if I need to I control the order displayed and ensure their spelling matches exactly other books by the author (when you get names with Jr, the fact I use LN, FN etc).And sometimes I decide I don't want multiple, or I want to replace/add an author so it lists nicely in a series visually or for exporting.

I guess if you were loading books by ISBN only it would be extremely useful but no other situation is what is entered in those metadata fields of use to me.

Last edited by kiwidude; 01-03-2011 at 04:26 PM.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote