Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 02-08-2020, 10:42 AM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Incomplete Information

Why is it that so many people ask for help yet do not give enough information to be helped?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 11:01 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
What do you mean? Could you provide more details?
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2020, 11:11 AM   #3
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I can only figure they just want to give the Abridged version. I agree its Annoying.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 11:17 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
What is really annoying is thinking what they gave us was for a STANDARD (commercial product) and find out 20 posts later they have customized, and are using a NAS or cloud or some configuration that only <1% of regular users use.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 11:21 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Is it already time for Jon's annual plea to make certain profile info mandatory to join? My how time flies.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2020, 11:32 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Is it already time for Jon's annual plea to make certain profile info mandatory to join? My how time flies.
There are a lot less requests for help that require someone's location then their used to be.

It's about not giving the information needed to try to help someone. The sort of thing we are getting is "Calibre isn't working. Please help.". We need the OS, the steps taken, anything out of the ordinary, etc.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 11:51 AM   #7
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why is it that so many people ask for help yet do not give enough information to be helped?
I think it's because they're members of the human race. I used to do PC Support as my day job back in the 80s-90s (I still bear the mental scars). It was no different then, independent of which company I was working for.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 11:56 AM   #8
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
If you already know what information is necessary, and are aware why it possibly could make a big difference, you likely also already figured out the answer. If you get a generic question like "Calibre isn't working. Please help", it is up to you whether you want to answer or just let it go. If you feel like engaging, then you could answer with a "We may be able to help if you give a little more information what is not working and what you already tried to fix it."

It is not worth losing sleep over. And nobody mandates for you to answer.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 11:59 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
It's about not giving the information needed to try to help someone. The sort of thing we are getting is "Calibre isn't working. Please help.". We need the OS, the steps taken, anything out of the ordinary, etc.

When has it ever been different. Ever?

Non-technical people will never be able to foresee everything that technical people will need to know in order to help them. It's a big part of why they are a) non-technical and b) seeking help.

As volunteers, we can get used to asking all of the questions we need to know the answers to to help (time and time again), or we can not help. Seems like you might be at a point where the latter is your best choice for a while.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 12:25 PM   #10
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
When has it ever been different. Ever?

Non-technical people will never be able to foresee everything that technical people will need to know in order to help them. It's a big part of why they are a) non-technical and b) seeking help.

As volunteers, we can get used to asking all of the questions we need to know the answers to to help (time and time again), or we can not help. Seems like you might be at a point where the latter is your best choice for a while.
Exactly this.

I do tech support in another forum and even though we do have prompts and guidance questions to try to get enough information, many questions still get abbreviated to "Something's broken, please help!" without any of the necessary detail to let us actually help. Fortunately, in that forum, when I reply saying "we need more detail, can you provide x, y, z?" it sends them an email so most of the time they do respond with something. Not always what I asked for, but something.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 12:29 PM   #11
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Believe it or not, it's not that they want to piss you off. Maybe they don't know what information is relevant to the problem, so they just start a thread and wait for the replies to provide the information as it is required.

If you want to help, you need to be tolerant with non tech-savvy people. If you get annoyed when someone doesn't live up to your expectations, maybe you should leave it to someone else.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 12:31 PM   #12
elsussman
Connoisseur
elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle paperwhite, kindle voyage and android kindle app
I am a retired physician. if I expected every patient who came to see me had all the info required to make a diagnosis and treatment plan I would have been long gone . Part of the challenge of solving a problem of any type is eliciting the information to give an answer. It is also part of the fun. If that is too challenging then get a job tightening screws on an assembly line
elsussman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 01:07 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I think it's because they're members of the human race. I used to do PC Support as my day job back in the 80s-90s (I still bear the mental scars). It was no different then, independent of which company I was working for.
Hoo Boy! I remember those pains.
I took over the hardware support (installs, repairs and moves) gang back then. At least most of them had the excuse that THIS IS ALL NEW TECH.

Still, my official policy (inherited from when I was in the Navy): "Broken, is not a problem description. Tell us what it IS or IS NOT doing!"
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 01:11 PM   #14
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Part of the challenge of solving a problem of any type is eliciting the information to give an answer.
Face to face is totally different from forum conversations where the back and forth can take hours or days. Forum users can't see the device being used, the error messages, or the steps being taken by the op.

I've been on various help forums since the mid 1990's. This issue isn't new or unique. In my experience, the users who expect help while offering no details of their problem are generally the users who get mad, make snarky comments, and then storm off, when no one meets their expectations of help.
Deskisamess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 01:19 PM   #15
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Well, what if instead of griping we light a candle?

A sticky thread for "IF YOU NEED HELP"...
...with a list of semi-standard issues and some basic info to gather up-front for each one.

That would help folks where to go and what to start with.
Nothing fancy but location, prefered format, OS, reading software and/or device, are a good place to start in most cases. So let them know how to best help the would-be helpers.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote