Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-14-2019, 06:27 AM   #61
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiangha View Post
There's an easy built in way, but it uses the power button which means if you enable it, you'll no longer be able to use it to turn it off or put it to sleep (or wake it up from sleep). However, that's not a problem if you use a sleep cover since the magnet can replace that functionality.
thank you. hmmm... that's a pretty big trade-off. I normally don't use a cover and only use a sleeve combined with a back cover.

thanks for taking the time.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 08:19 AM   #62
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
However, that's not a problem if you use a sleep cover since the magnet can replace that functionality.
I've been thinking this over and trying to adapt it to the way I use my readers. is it plausible to simply put the magnets together (removed from the sleep cover) in the same spot the sleep cover would have them to put it to sleep and then separating them to reawaken it. this would keep me from continually putting it in the sleep cover and taking it out again, given that I prefer a cover-free experience. that way I could still have the screenshot experience.

asking because I don't really understand how these sleep covers work, other than having the magnets, and many here likely do. thanks.
Advert
Old 12-14-2019, 09:35 AM   #63
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
I've been thinking this over and trying to adapt it to the way I use my readers. is it plausible to simply put the magnets together (removed from the sleep cover) in the same spot the sleep cover would have them to put it to sleep and then separating them to reawaken it. this would keep me from continually putting it in the sleep cover and taking it out again, given that I prefer a cover-free experience. that way I could still have the screenshot experience.
As long as you have the right kind of magnet (they're usually very small and quite powerful) and you know where the "magic magnetic spot" is you can arrange things however you want:
- magnet attached to random bit of card
- magnet attached to inside lid of original Clara box (I did this with my Forma before 3rd-party cases became available)
- ... something else ...

The magic spot for the Clara is about an inch down from the top left corner of the visible screen, then right a bit (i.e. over the screen, not the bezel).

Letting the magnet come into regular direct contact with the screen might risk scratches, though.

Just a personal opinion, but I don't think I'd want to leave the Screenshot=true option on permanently. Firstly, I'd be worried that I wouldn't be able to do a forced reboot if the device froze and my on/off button wasn't working in the standard way (although I don't know whether this is fact or fiction). Secondly, if you take some screenshots and leave them in the root dir they will be imported as "books" next time you connect/disconnect from the PC.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 10:11 AM   #64
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post

Just a personal opinion, but I don't think I'd want to leave the Screenshot=true option on permanently. Firstly, I'd be worried that I wouldn't be able to do a forced reboot if the device froze and my on/off button wasn't working in the standard way (although I don't know whether this is fact or fiction). Secondly, if you take some screenshots and leave them in the root dir they will be imported as "books" next time you connect/disconnect from the PC.
thanks. great info. I thought it was something you enabled and couldn't disable easily. that is the best method for me then. enable when I need it and then disable.

my books are in the root directory. is that where they're supposed to be? (on a kindle it's the documents folder.) do they have to be there? can I make a folder and keep them in that folder? it is very cluttered the way it is.
Old 12-14-2019, 12:32 PM   #65
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
thanks. great info. I thought it was something you enabled and couldn't disable easily. that is the best method for me then. enable when I need it and then disable.
That's what I do. I leave the Screenshot=... line permanently in the .conf file and just switch it between true/false as necessary.

Quote:
my books are in the root directory. is that where they're supposed to be? (on a kindle it's the documents folder.) do they have to be there? can I make a folder and keep them in that folder? it is very cluttered the way it is.
They can be wherever you like. It used to be anywhere as long as its not in a directory beginning with a dot, but something changed recently about dot sub-dirs.

I store mine in a /Books subdir - so no marks for originality for me.

If you do this, don't forget to reconfigure your calibre driver to tell it the directory name you've chosen. it's at the bottom of the File formats tab labelled Save template. e.g. my Save template is set to:
Code:
Books/{author_sort} - {title}
I'm not sure whether you'd need to re-send all your books, rather than just drag-dropping them to the new location on the Kobo. The Kobo database will have stored all the old book and cover locations. I don't know how good a job it does at re-finding the books/covers/annotations and updating the database accordingly.
Advert
Old 12-14-2019, 12:37 PM   #66
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I don't have a Clara, but on my Glo HD, there's a small pinhole at the bottom that you can jab a paper clip into that will force reboot the device in an emergency. Does the Clara not have something similar?
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 01:02 PM   #67
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I don't have a Clara, but on my Glo HD, there's a small pinhole at the bottom that you can jab a paper clip into that will force reboot the device in an emergency. Does the Clara not have something similar?
I don't think so. The only thing even vaguely resembling a pinhole of old is on the on/off switch and I think it's only there so a power-on LED can shine out of it. I'm loathe to poke a paperclip in it to test the theory.

The Forma doesn't even have that. It just has a slightly translucent area on the on/off switch so the LED is visible. Something to do with waterproofing, perhaps.
Old 12-14-2019, 02:47 PM   #68
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
I don't think so. The only thing even vaguely resembling a pinhole of old is on the on/off switch and I think it's only there so a power-on LED can shine out of it. I'm loathe to poke a paperclip in it to test the theory.

The Forma doesn't even have that. It just has a slightly translucent area on the on/off switch so the LED is visible. Something to do with waterproofing, perhaps.
The Clara doesn't have it, but the Mini, Glo, and I think all the kobo3/4 ones do.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 02:48 PM   #69
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Firstly, I'd be worried that I wouldn't be able to do a forced reboot if the device froze and my on/off button wasn't working in the standard way (although I don't know whether this is fact or fiction).
I'm pretty sure it's fiction, as that's handled in firmware.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:51 PM   #70
Biep
Enthusiast
Biep began at the beginning.

Device: Tobo Touch 2.0; Kobo Aura One
Installing KOReader would also give you a screenshot option - and a whole lot more. It may be overkill for you, but I wouldn't want to go back to just Nickel (the default reader program).
Biep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:14 PM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biep View Post
Installing KOReader would also give you a screenshot option - and a whole lot more. It may be overkill for you, but I wouldn't want to go back to just Nickel (the default reader program).
When reading ePub, does KOReader work better then RMSDK?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:45 PM   #72
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
If you have screenshot=true option, the power button will still do the forced off after being held for 10+ seconds. I've done that enough times since I normally keep my Kobos in sleepcovers.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:59 PM   #73
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When reading ePub, does KOReader work better then RMSDK?
It has image enlargement. If You want it has also pop up notes, but You could prefer in page notes - like a printed book - or simply the traditional notes going to the page and then return. And it keep the main advantage of epub versus kepub in Nickel: ligatures (if You want, because You can disable them). And You can also decide to ignore some css: margins, the embedded fonts, line height an so on.

I often use it when there are notes or images because it is better than kepub in Nickel.

Because the installation is very simple it worth a try if you like it.

Last edited by ps67; 01-15-2020 at 03:14 PM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 03:44 PM   #74
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The URLs for the better hyphenation dictionaries are all wrong. The German link has nothing to do with anything and the correct URL is https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=252405. Plus, it's nnot listed a being English, French, and Hungarian.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 12:52 AM   #75
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
Kobo Hacks And Utilities Index

See this post.
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote