Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 04-16-2008, 08:18 PM   #1
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue, of course!)
cyBook Arrives in Annapolis to Much Cheering, News at Eleven!

Today was a very difficult day at work. Here I was, stuck in the office having seen the USPS web site update indicating that a package from the folks at NAEB had been delivered. Hours to go before I would be able to introduce myself to the cyBook. What a painful wait!

...and of course the evening rush hour traffic was worse than usual. Seems some important figure was visiting Washington D.C. today.....Oh, yea, that's right, it was the Pope.

Talk about a sign!

Finally, I am happily sitting here with my new friend. Mr. cyBook meet Mr. Jeff. Mr. Jeff meet Mr. cyBook.

....and at last we get down to some serious hands-on with the oft-talked about cyBook. Cute little thing, isn't it? Seems a shame to hide it in that nice book cover that came with it.

Since the cyBook came with an initial charge (70%!), I was able to get some immediate hands-on to see how things worked. So, two immediate impressions:

- this thing is *light*. Having been using an iLiad for about 6 weeks, I would say that the 400g weight of the iLiad has not been a problem in terms of holding it for lengthy periods of reading and that the difference in weight between the two didn't seem to be a big deal. But at 174g, the difference is subjectively far more obvious than the 226g difference between them would suggest.

- screen turns are noticeably faster. Even with the screen clearing feature left enabled, the cyBook does turn pages faster....almost at the same speed as turning a pbook page. Heck, I haven't timed it, it could be faster.

Haven't tried reading any of my collected set of books yet. I'll be copying the book that I am currently reading on the iLiad (including the file created by mobi to hold the bookmarks and last page read information) and see how the reading experience differs.

And before I forget, a big thanks to the folks at NAEB. They are doing a good job on delivering a somewhat scarce product and at a very good price. Thanks guys and gal!

...more observations as they come (later),

Jeff
JWLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 02:32 PM   #2
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Just a wee quick note. The 70% charge may not be actually 70%. The battery indicator isn't accurate until you've charged it and depleted it at least once.

I have no idea if plugging it in to charge for a few hours would fix that. I only bothered charging mine to 80% or so when I got it, until all of a sudden it went from 40% to 0%. A proper charge - while I slept, and it's now accurate.

Nice to hear you're enjoying it, and I hope you spend a bit of time telling the forum about your experiences, particularly in comparison to the Iliad.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2008, 06:02 PM   #3
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good point about the initial charge. My comment was really directed at the fact that I didn't have to wait for the Cybook to charge before getting some initial hands-on with it. Once I had my immediate 'fill', I used the AC charger to give it a full charge.

Day 2 update:

I've been using the Cybook inserted into the psuedo-leather case during the day. As others have reported, the effort to hit the 'page advance' is not as easy as when out of the case. It doesn't take much for the tip of my finger to get sore. I think that Bookeen could solve the problem by making the square cutout in the case larger so that it would be possible to hit the page advance straight on instead of from the side.

When used out of the case, page turning takes about the same effort as does the iLiad. Though since I'm left-handed it's not as 'natural' for me to one-hand the reader and change pages as it is with the iLiad.

This thing is still amazingly light. I've taken to removing it from the case while reading in bed...it's much more convenient for me that way. Reading at night while in bed is a noticeably easier experience.

I have experienced one 'page forwarding' problem so far. (this with a mobi book) When it occurred, the page jumped further than it should have.....but when I backed up the text was flowed differently. I also notice with interest that the time to execute the page turn was noticeably longer. I have seen this exact same behavior with my iLiad. So.......I'm now wondering if there is a mobipocket bug when the reader goes to read the next chunk of text......

The lack of page numbers (vs. the pageometer) hasn't been a big deal, as I thought it wouldn't. I still have enough of an idea as to where I am in the book to satisfy my 'need'.

I am still trying to get the feel for the smaller screen and adjusting the font size for a best reading experience.....but it's looking very much like I will be selling my iLiad. (anyone interested? )

-more later,

Jeff
Old 04-18-2008, 06:47 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What version firmware do you have on your Gen3?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:56 PM   #5
JWLaRue
Addict

It's the v538......

-Jeff
Advert
Old 04-18-2008, 09:38 PM   #6
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWLaRue View Post
Day 2 update:

I've been using the Cybook inserted into the psuedo-leather case during the day. As others have reported, the effort to hit the 'page advance' is not as easy as when out of the case. It doesn't take much for the tip of my finger to get sore. I think that Bookeen could solve the problem by making the square cutout in the case larger so that it would be possible to hit the page advance straight on instead of from the side.

Jeff
I got mine the same day as you (yesterday) and will have a more complete report later. Thanks to NAEB for great service & a great price.

About the page turn, when in book reading mode you can use the 'down' part of the square as well as the 'right' part to advance a page.

Likewise, the 'up' part will give you page back as well as 'left'.

I discovered that early on and it is a thumbsaver, and you can use either thumb.

I was very much disappointed in Gen 3 at first but it is slowly growing on me. Someone wrote a while back that a white or light color encasing the device makes the device 'fade away' while reading. This has been true for me as I can't enjoy reading the Gen 3 out of the case (the black surrounding the screen I found annoying), but in the (light brown) case it is much more pleasant.

Gen 3 out of the case is SO light and tiny it feels like a pamphlet, not book-like as with Irex or Kindle.

P.S.: While I'm here, how does one delete a book? Do I HAVE to hook up the USB and remove it that way? Is there not a way to remove it via the device?

Last edited by Kingston; 04-18-2008 at 09:41 PM.
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 10:00 PM   #7
JWLaRue
Addict

That's correct, with the current firmware.......as I think I understand it, to delete a book you either have to use something like mobipocket reader or delete it 'manually' via your favorite file explorer (or equivalent).

Gotta love having a dedicated delete button....does seem a bit dumb not to be able to use it.....!

-Jeff
Old 04-19-2008, 09:53 AM   #8
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Hmm. I'd rather not have the delete button. At the most I'd want a "hide" button.

Can't think of a time when I'd want to delete something from the reader, other than when it's connected to the PC.

I do agree it's daft having a dedicated "delete" button that does nothing, Would be nice if it did a page forward though. Would be even nicer if I could attach a page turning button by USB. That would mean I wouldn't need to bump the Cybook, or move my arm if I'm lying down. Instead I could hold the button in my hand and turn pages with it. I think that's extremely unlikely to appear though.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 12:22 PM   #9
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingston View Post
About the page turn, when in book reading mode you can use the 'down' part of the square as well as the 'right' part to advance a page.
Almost always -- but not when there are hyperlinks on the page.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 04:44 PM   #10
JWLaRue
Addict

I'm just hoping that whenever the delete button does get enabled that there is some sort of confirmation before anything gets deleted. Otherwise having the button where it is looks to invite problems.

-Jeff
Old 04-21-2008, 04:35 AM   #11
James Bryant
Ebook fanatic since 1962
James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Cybook3/REB1100/Kolin/iRex iLiad/JetBook & JB Mini/Onyx C67, T68, Poke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingston View Post
<SNIP!>About the page turn, when in book reading mode you can use the 'down' part of the square as well as the 'right' part to advance a page.<SNIP!>
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Almost always -- but not when there are hyperlinks on the page.
I have mostly HTML books, and none of the internal hyperlinks work.

Anyone know why this might be so?

James
James Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:27 AM   #12
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bryant View Post

James
Hmmmm... Are you sure that they're internal? Tell you what, I'll take one of the rtf files I've been converting to mobi and instead I'll let BookDesigner create it as a single-file HTML, just to see how the Cybook likes it. Shouldn't take me but an hour (RL is intruding right now) to get it up.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 01:56 PM   #13
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bryant View Post

James
Okay,

I've got a sample with five chapters... I've saved it as both a mobi .prc and as an .htm file. I've attached both files and I've saved both to my Cybook. Now on my PC, Internet Explorer can use the links in the ToC to jump to the chapters just fine. And when I use the Cybook.... (I'm checking right now) Nope. The chapter links work just great under IE7 and they work just great in the .prc I created from the .htm file. But the actual .htm file ignores everything when I open it up on the Cybook. Definitely a problem.

Derek
Attached Files
File Type: prc Titwilliger_With Hesitant.prc (74.7 KB, 296 views)
File Type: zip With Hesitant Stride.zip (48.7 KB, 354 views)
Old 04-22-2008, 02:32 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd suggest that you send your sample to Bookeen to illustrate the bug.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:40 PM   #15
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'd suggest that you send your sample to Bookeen to illustrate the bug.
Been there. Done that. Maybe I'll get a t-shirt along with the reply - which hasn't been forthcoming.

Derek