Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-28-2011, 11:39 AM   #1
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Need to confirm that sideloaded books can't sync

I've looked around and read a few things saying that if you sideload a book to the Kindle it'll read fine of course, but it won't be able to sync to other devices. Is that definitely the case? Is there anyway around this? I've found that I really like the sync feature when going from my Kindle to my android phone and back.

Thanks.
Shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I believe that I have read that Mobi2Mobi can somehow be used to set up non-Amazon books so that they can be synched. I have never done it but I believe it is possible.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2011, 11:46 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I believe that I have read that Mobi2Mobi can somehow be used to set up non-Amazon books so that they can be synched. I have never done it but I believe it is possible.
I believe that this capability has been lost with version 3.1 of the Kindle firmware.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:01 PM   #4
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I believe that this capability has been lost with version 3.1 of the Kindle firmware.
Which I updated to already.

Ah well. It's hardly the end of the world, but I'll have to keep an eye out for an updated solution. Thanks guys.
Shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:18 PM   #5
kalex
Zealot
kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: sony
No it hasn't. My Kindle3G updated itself to 3.1 and I can still sync the books. How are you prepping your books? Are you using mobi2mobi to add ASIN number and are you using new version of calibre?
kalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2011, 12:42 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The only functionality that has been lost with Mobi2Mobi is the ability to modify the TTS Flag and the Clipping Limit on DRM'ed Kindle files. Both of those metadata records are now tied into the DRM. If you change those values WITHOUT removing the DRM, they will be unreadable on your Kindle (or Kindle app).

The ASIN record and the CDEType record can still be modified to sync the "Furthest Read Page" for non-Amazon purchases. Nothing has changed with regards to that.
(occasionally, Amazon is neglecting to include a PALM database name... which renders Mobi2Mobi Gui pretty much useless. You can use the commandline version of mobi2mobi to give it a database name in this case, which will restore Mobi2Mobi-gui's functionality.)

If you want to enable TTS or change the Clipping Limit on Amazon purchases, you are basically being forced to remove the DRM first.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-28-2011 at 12:54 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:17 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalex View Post
No it hasn't. My Kindle3G updated itself to 3.1 and I can still sync the books.
Thank you - I stand corrected!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:25 PM   #8
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I just tested it - used Mobi2Mobi to correct the 2 Fields and tested on 2 Kindles both updated to 3.1 and it worked. Cool, I always meant to play around and learn how to do that.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:49 PM   #9
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Maybe this will help someone.

My kindle is on 3.1 and I was able to sideload books that were converted in Calibre to my iphone with iPhone Explorer (only on my 32 bit machine, not 64 bit) and I got it to sync. Didn't have to use Mobi2Mobi or anything.

Would like to be able to do this on my 64 bit laptop, but for some reason it won't let me add the books. I can access the folders but when I go to add a book, I get the circle with the slash.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:58 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan
Would like to be able to do this on my 64 bit laptop, but for some reason it won't let me add the books. I can access the folders but when I go to add a book, I get the circle with the slash.
Sounds like an issue with iPhone Explorer. Do they have a 64-bit version of the program? I'd take it up with the developers of that particular software.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:02 PM   #11
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Sounds like an issue with iPhone Explorer. Do they have a 64-bit version of the program? I'd take it up with the developers of that particular software.
Thanks DD. They only have one version of the program. I did email their support and they are looking into it. So hopefully there will be a fix. I'm thinking it is a problem with iPhone Explorer and 64 bit too.

Carol
Old 02-28-2011, 05:58 PM   #12
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowplay View Post
I've looked around and read a few things saying that if you sideload a book to the Kindle it'll read fine of course, but it won't be able to sync to other devices. ...
To be precise, such "rumors" are incorrect. The ability to sync has absolutely nothing to do with whether the book was "sideloaded" into a Kindle or "downloaded".

If a sideloaded book has what the Kindle thinks is an ASIN number it will sync. If a downloaded book doesn't (e.g. books from sites other than Amazon, ...) it won't.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:59 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig
If a sideloaded book has what the Kindle thinks is an ASIN number it will sync. If a downloaded book doesn't (e.g. books from sites other than Amazon, ...) it won't.
Further clarification... notes, highlights and bookmarks don't sync on non-Amazon content. Period. "Furthest read page" WILL sync on non-Amazon content with a little diddling. But In addition to the ASIN number, the CDEType needs to be set to 'EBOK' for ANY type of syncing to occur. Personal documents (CDETYPE 'PDOC') will not sync at all - even if you give it an ASIN number.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:28 PM   #14
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Maybe this will help someone.

My kindle is on 3.1 and I was able to sideload books that were converted in Calibre to my iphone with iPhone Explorer (only on my 32 bit machine, not 64 bit) and I got it to sync. Didn't have to use Mobi2Mobi or anything.

Carol
Carol - I just got an Iphone and would love to be able to do this? Can you provide some guidance or direction on how you did this?
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:55 PM   #15
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
Carol - I just got an Iphone and would love to be able to do this? Can you provide some guidance or direction on how you did this?
I'll try to explain how I did it. I installed iPhone Explorer. It would only work on my 32 bit computer. I couldn't get it to work on my 64 bit computer.

Connect your iphone via USB and open iPhone Explorer.

Expand the Apps folder.

Look for the folder "com.amazon.lassen" and expand that.

Under that folder, go to "Library\eBooks and expand that.

Then drag and drop your ebooks into the eBook folder

Hope this helps you.

Here is a link to another thread that talks about it also:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=121487

Carol