Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-12-2018, 02:41 PM   #16
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo69 View Post
I have been able to colour my read lines blue.
But how could I have coloured the same star lines?
You can only color text with the rules.
Why not use a UNICODE STAR like ✱
Code:
& # 10033
remove spaces
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:01 PM   #17
Nicolas F
Groupie
Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I have been able to colour my read lines blue.
But how could I have coloured the same star lines?
If all you want is a star or a book icon, you could use text instead for better performance:
Create a column but choose text with a fixed set of values.
Then you can define which characters are allowed, and which color (see image)

star characters :⋆⍟★☆✪⭐🌟🟉🟊🟎🟍🟌
book characters :📕📖📗📘📙🕮
(they may not look the same in calibre since it's only text it will depend of the font used)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Star-1.png
Views:	173
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	161472  
Nicolas F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:04 PM   #18
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
They are 128 x 128
6.87 kb

Changed it to 48 x 48
3.46kb but still slow.

I have saved them in my Documents Should I have saved them in calibre?
You can download load them to wherever you want, but when you add the icon to Look and Feel->Column Icons->Add Rule, viz:

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	161470

that will copy the selected file into the cc_icons subfolder in your calibre configuration folder, and I just noticed it seems to do some 'optimisation' as it does so, viz:

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	161471

So re-sizing, and re-saving the original you put into your Documents folder will make no difference, because the file calibre will use is the one it copied into cc_icons.

I normally download the png to my desktop, do any resizing and resizing there before adding the icon to calibre's column icons and then I throw the one on the desktop away.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 04:06 AM   #19
Jo69
Addict
Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo. Samsung Galaxy Tab. Kindle 4 2011
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
You can download load them to wherever you want, but when you add the icon to Look and Feel->Column Icons->Add Rule, viz:

Attachment 161470

that will copy the selected file into the cc_icons subfolder in your calibre configuration folder, and I just noticed it seems to do some 'optimisation' as it does so, viz:

Attachment 161471

So re-sizing, and re-saving the original you put into your Documents folder will make no difference, because the file calibre will use is the one it copied into cc_icons.

I normally download the png to my desktop, do any resizing and resizing there before adding the icon to calibre's column icons and then I throw the one on the desktop away.

BR
The icons in my columns you told me how to do are really useful. It is just taking 15 seconds for them to work, even though made them smaller.

I don't seem to be able to see your screenshot on my pc.
Don't know where the icons are stored.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	calibre.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	161715  
Jo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 04:24 AM   #20
Jo69
Addict
Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas F View Post
If all you want is a star or a book icon, you could use text instead for better performance:
Create a column but choose text with a fixed set of values.
Then you can define which characters are allowed, and which color (see image)

star characters :⋆⍟★☆✪⭐������������
book characters :������������
(they may not look the same in calibre since it's only text it will depend of the font used)
Are the stars already in calibre somewhere then?
Or where do I find them in Windows 10?

Last edited by Jo69; 01-21-2018 at 05:47 AM.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:09 AM   #21
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't seem to be able to see your screenshot on my pc.
I can't explain that, they're here on MR - makes me wonder if your PC is defective regarding images. You have to click the thumbnail

Quote:
Don't know where the icons are stored.
Press the Preferences->Miscellaneous->Open calibre configuration directory button and look in the sub-directory cc-icons.

Post one of the images you're trying to use and I'll have a look at it.

BR
Old 01-21-2018, 07:46 AM   #22
Jo69
Addict

Quote:
I can't explain that, they're here on MR - makes me wonder if your PC is defective regarding images. You have to click the thumbnail

Press the Preferences->Miscellaneous->Open calibre configuration directory button and look in the sub-directory cc-icons.

Post one of the images you're trying to use and I'll have a look at it.

BR
Thanks Been using Calibre for years but didn't know that folder was there.
Should that be backed up too when exporting Importing to new pc?
Never did so last time.

These are the book pngs I added.
Oops it doesn't tell you anything about them
Attached Images

Last edited by Jo69; 01-21-2018 at 07:48 AM.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:51 AM   #23
Nicolas F
Groupie
Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Are the stars already in calibre somewhere then?
Or where do I find them in Windows 10?
They are just characters, like letters. So, depending on the font you're using, they should appear in calibre.

There is no selector in calibre, but since they are just like a letter you can just select one and copy it anywhere like for text.
Nicolas F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:46 PM   #24
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Thanks Been using Calibre for years but didn't know that folder was there.
Should that be backed up too when exporting Importing to new pc?
Should be backed up along with your libraries, just like all your other data

To transfer calibre to a new computer there's an Export/Import option in the Library icon drop-down menu. Export will bundle all the calibre data (libraries and configuration) on the old computer into a spanned archive. Import will read the spanned archive and re-create the calibre data on the new computer.

Quote:
These are the book pngs I added. Oops it doesn't tell you anything about them
I used them in a couple of columns in my < 50 books test library, one of them was a Y/N column, with no noticeable performance penalty, so I used them in my much larger Media library (97K books), again with no noticeable performance penalty - but I don't have any Y/N columns in that library.

My computer is less than six months old, its a 16GB I7-7700 Kaby Lake, my configuration data is on the 256GB .M2 SSD system drive, and my libraries are on a SATAIII 2TB Toshiba hard disk.

Which suggests it has to be your computer config, give us a few details

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-21-2018 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:55 AM   #25
Jo69
Addict

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c05166068

This is my pc. HP Desktop - 460-a060na
Old 01-22-2018, 03:27 AM   #26
Jo69
Addict

Quote:
Should be backed up along with your libraries, just like all your other data

To transfer calibre to a new computer there's an Export/Import option in the Library icon drop-down menu. Export will bundle all the calibre data (libraries and configuration) on the old computer into a spanned archive. Import will read the spanned archive and re-create the calibre data on the new computer.

BR
I know I transferred my Library ages ago when I had a new pc.
But only saved the calibre folder full of my books, then added them again. My columns etc. that I added were still there.
I did not do it through import export.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:03 AM   #27
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
I know I transferred my Library ages ago when I had a new pc.
But only saved the calibre folder full of my books, then added them again. My columns etc. that I added were still there.
I did not do it through import export.
Import/Export is a fairly recent addition - Dec 21 2015 to be precise. Quite a lot of users wanted a One-click solution, so Kovid gave them a Two-clicker.

IMO 4GB of RAM is rather lean to be running Win 10 64 bit, at a guess I'd suspect there's a lot of memory swapping going on. I wonder if HP installed a single 4GB memory stick, or two 2GB sticks, my money is on the latter. If I were you I'd upgrade to two 4GB sticks for a total of 8GB, or two 8GB sticks if you can afford it.

BR
Old 01-23-2018, 04:10 AM   #28
Jo69
Addict

Quote:
Import/Export is a fairly recent addition - Dec 21 2015 to be precise. Quite a lot of users wanted a One-click solution, so Kovid gave them a Two-clicker.

IMO 4GB of RAM is rather lean to be running Win 10 64 bit, at a guess I'd suspect there's a lot of memory swapping going on. I wonder if HP installed a single 4GB memory stick, or two 2GB sticks, my money is on the latter. If I were you I'd upgrade to two 4GB sticks for a total of 8GB, or two 8GB sticks if you can afford it.

BR
Thanks . More memory is not possible at the present time.
Columns with the default yes/no change fast when I click, but do love the icons lol

Want to create another column and like Nicholas F idea of text.
But not sure where to get it. Think I need advice again sorry
Old 01-23-2018, 04:32 AM   #29
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Nor am I.

But I think you have to find a font with characters you want and make that the calibre interface font, and then copy paste from the font manager into a fixed set of values column definition, or figure out the key sequence (Alt+something I guess) and type them in.

Hopefully Nicolas can give you precise instructions.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-23-2018 at 04:35 AM.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:02 AM   #30
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Thanks . More memory is not possible at the present time.
Columns with the default yes/no change fast when I click, but do love the icons lol

The stars and so on are unicode characters or html entities. I don't know them by heart, I usually search in google "unicode star" or something like that.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote