Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-03-2013, 03:20 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrypin View Post
It doesn't appear that my BT Home Hub router does. And there's no such button on it.

But all other devices are working OK with this router, using its current settings. And so did the Kindle Touch until a couple of days ago. Doesn't that rule out 'router settings' as a possible area to pursue?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
The logical way to rule out the router is to try to connect to a different WiFi network and see if that works. Presumably you've tried that?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:35 PM   #17
terrypin
Connoisseur
terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: iPAQ 2210 PPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The logical way to rule out the router is to try to connect to a different WiFi network and see if that works. Presumably you've tried that?
Other devices (including my Kindle, my iPad, my wife's tablet and smartphone) offer 5 wifi services, 4 of which are not from my router. So I think that rules it out.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK
terrypin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2013, 04:30 AM   #18
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
And you can connect to them? From the kindle?

As a bit of an aside: I have a BT Infinity router that refuses to "maintain" the connection longer than ten minutes. I run a background intermittent ping to keep my ssh alive. Just to show you are not alone in bizarre router behaviours.

Hope you get it sorted.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #19
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
You may want to read this thread about how to correct WiFi problems:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=210002
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:37 PM   #20
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
App need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Are you selling that then? because not only is it of no use on his device... All I see is you pimping software. Are you a retailer?
That app can be used on any Kindle Fire AND is probably available for iPads as well. We have no way of knowing what tablets the OP owns.

For me its like a new version of sliced bread. I've been plagued by network burps, shutdowns and weak signals for years. The last 48 hours with that little Kindle Fire app has been like Wifi heaven.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #21
fratermus
e-bookworm
fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, K3, KF2, Touch (dying)
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrypin View Post
Other devices (including my Kindle, my iPad, my wife's tablet and smartphone) offer 5 wifi services, 4 of which are not from my router. So I think that rules it out.
It doesn't rule it out. HarryT's suggestion gets us closer to understanding what is and what is not a factor.

In my personal experience there have been several issues that were greatly clarified by going to some other access point and trying to log in: squirrely dhcp settings and/or squirrely client behavior with those leases, more than one DHCP server, device with static IP camping out on the intended IP, MAC filtering, etc.

Not saying any of them are likely, but Mr. T's suggestion has merit. It would cost nothing to test and could turn up another clue.
fratermus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #22
fratermus
e-bookworm
fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Elided

Top post: "her Galaxy tablet". We don't know whether or not it's gonna help.

Last edited by twobob; 04-06-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:14 PM   #23
fratermus
e-bookworm

Elided

Pimping a free app? "We give it away free, but we make up for it in volume!" :-)

Last edited by twobob; 04-06-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:28 PM   #24
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fratermus View Post
Pimping a free app? "We give it away free, but we make up for it in volume!" :-)
I didn't take a look at this particular app -- and I'm not going to take anybody's part -- , but just in case you didn't know: successful free apps can generate quite some revenue via the embedded ads. Just saying.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:52 PM   #25
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Elided

You made good points about trying another hotspot

I hope the OP tries that.
Back to the threads purpose. Helping Terry.

Last edited by twobob; 04-06-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:35 PM   #26
fratermus
e-bookworm

Deleted. Addressed in PM.

fm

Last edited by fratermus; 04-06-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:15 AM   #27
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
I suppose there is always the horrid possibility that Amazon have accidentally blacklisted the machine..

(IIRC that is the exact message when such a thing occurs)

Customer Services would be able to help there.

Hope that helps.
how they do that?
for wi-fi?
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:00 AM   #28
twobob

I suppose it is something to with the lookup to amazon.s3.somethingOrOther...
Can confirm that this is that case having had around 20? kindles pass through my hands "locked out" in this manner.

Didn't properly research the "how" as that wasn't part of project but can for sure say "Does"

I try not to mess with anything amazon lock out. Not keen on toe-treading.

Last edited by twobob; 04-12-2013 at 07:48 AM.

Tags
wifi