Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-27-2011, 02:41 PM   #31
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by WzeroMN View Post
Installed exactly according to directions and no improvement. Download speeds are really abysmal. It will take an hour or more to get about 12 megs or so of applications.

I have not retired a book yet but am not optimistic.

It is not the card as this is much slower than the card can handle. It runs about 3-4 Megabytes per second.

The screens and applications run very well. It is just the abysmal download speed.

My Connections is megabits per second from Charter.
Believe me, it's the card. Same issue here; then I installed CM7.0.2 to emmc and it's blazing fast.
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:06 AM   #32
jyl
Enthusiast
jyl began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK, JE200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I ran CM7 from an SD card for a few days before using it to replace the B&N internal system. You will not be able to see anything except the boot partition of the SD card when you plug the SD card into a PC. That is because the other 3 partitions are marked as inactive. When the SD card is booted up in the Nook there are several ways of seeing the SD partition. One of my favorites was to use MyPhoneExplorer via WiFi to access the SD card. You should also be able to tell Android to show the SD partition as a USB storage when connected by USB. You should be able to find that control in the status bar after the Nook is connected to a PC via USB.

NO

By following the same instructions given for the initial install. The final part of the instructions tells how to update CM7.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1000957

thank you! MyPhoneExplorer worked well and in addition to that, i found this http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=952456 to see the other partitions of the sd card.
jyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:23 PM   #33
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindles (wife's), now obsolete Nook and Sony
I have loaded CM7 (update-cm-7.0.0-encore-signed.zip) and set up wi-fi and seem to be running from my SD card okay.
I then followed instructions to install Market & Gapps (gapps-gb-20110307-signed.zip) from forum.xda instructions (Copy the gapps-... file to the SD card on the first partition (titled boot) without changing the file name.
Insert the uSD card back into the NOOK and boot into "Recovery mode" (hold nook N key and then press and hold power for ~6 seconds, the bootloader message should be on the screen for a second or so before you release both buttons. If the screen went off while you were holding the power key, that means you were holding it for too long).)

Not sure now what to do, how do I see market and apps? Should there be an icon or something.
goldberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:13 PM   #34
Apoc
Connoisseur
Apoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookC with CM7 (eMMC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldberry View Post
I have loaded CM7 (update-cm-7.0.0-encore-signed.zip) and set up wi-fi and seem to be running from my SD card okay.
I then followed instructions to install Market & Gapps (gapps-gb-20110307-signed.zip) from forum.xda instructions (Copy the gapps-... file to the SD card on the first partition (titled boot) without changing the file name.
Insert the uSD card back into the NOOK and boot into "Recovery mode" (hold nook N key and then press and hold power for ~6 seconds, the bootloader message should be on the screen for a second or so before you release both buttons. If the screen went off while you were holding the power key, that means you were holding it for too long).)

Not sure now what to do, how do I see market and apps? Should there be an icon or something.
Things didn't work for me either the first time, I couldn't find Market. I'm hardly an expert at this, so I couldn't troubleshoot to know what went wrong. The next time I did it however, I formatted system, data and cache first, then installed "update-cm-7" and "gapps-gb" in that order, and rebooted without the SD of course. And voila, wonder of wonders, after gMail was up and running, Market was too.

Your mileage may vary of course, but the point is that on my first installation that was similar to yours Market performed a disappearing act, but on my second try as outlined above things worked out.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:48 PM   #35
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So I re-imaged and loaded both CM7 and gapps zips at the same time and this time I got a setup screen and apps and market are loaded. So step 1 is complete.

Now how do I get to my ebooks that were already loaded and is there a reader app loaded or do I need one. If so recommendations please.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:50 PM   #36
Apoc
Connoisseur
Apoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Now how do I get to my ebooks that were already loaded and is there a reader app loaded or do I need one. If so recommendations please.
Your books should still be there. I use Moon+ and before I purchased it I used Cool Reader. In fact, even after purchasing Moon+ I remain undecided and use both of them. Cool Reader doesn't have a library function and loads books by directory navigation and file selection.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:00 PM   #37
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Now how do I get to my ebooks that were already loaded
Your books that were loaded on the original Nook system are in the Nook's internal storage. Probably in a folder called /emmc/My Files/Books. You can use use an App like Astro file manager or my favorite, MyPhoneExplorer to copy them out to your SD card if your reader app cannot see the internal media storage.
Quote:
and is there a reader app loaded or do I need one.
You will need one. If your books are infested with DRM then you will probably need the Nook Android app, or maybe one of the other Android readers that can work with ADEPT encrypted EPUB books.
Quote:
If so recommendations please.
MobilRead is full of posts concerning the various Android readers, so you have lots of choices. My personal favorite is Cool Reader, but it does not work with DRM infested books.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:25 PM   #38
goldberry
Groupie

Well my experience so far is not making me want to stick with this CM7 experiment.
Here are my problems and maybe someone can point out what I need to do to run smoothly.

Ereader- I got Adilko from market. To get it to the current book I am reading I had to go into file manager find my book on the NC memory and when I clicked it then it loaded, no page numbers, no quick bookmark. When I left the book and wanted to use filemanager to find something else clicking on file manager opened the book and it was impossible to change it. There probably are feature rich readers out there but I would want a free one which leads to my next problem.

Market- While in Market a box would pop up saying connection lost and I had to force close then reopen market. So I tried to download another reader (I think it was called "Cool Reader") but everytime I tried to download it market gave that error msg and the forced close. I finally gave up after trying a number of times.

Maybe it was my imagination but the resolution did not seem as sharp.

This was all from a very limited time playing with it.

I notice a while back some threads about dual boot. Is it possible to choose to either boot from the SD card or the Nook leaving in the card. I find it a hassle to take it out and put it back.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:57 PM   #39
Apoc
Connoisseur

Quote:
I notice a while back some threads about dual boot. Is it possible to choose to either boot from the SD card or the Nook leaving in the card. I find it a hassle to take it out and put it back.
I don't know what to tell you. I have not experience the problems with Market that you're describing. In another thread people have reported some issues with WiFi. Could that be the case? Such issues would be consistent with WiFi problems.

As for Dual Boot, there's plenty of discussion about it. I can't contribute anything because I haven't used the method.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:15 AM   #40
goldberry
Groupie

The market problem may have been a temporary problem with the servers that coincidentally happened when I was trying for the first time. I put the card in again later and was able to download the Cool Reader app and Angry Birds.

One thing I noticed that I don't recall reading was after the apps are installed you need to reboot in order for them to work. Before rebooting clicking brought up the App but with nothing working.

Will search for the dual boot thread and see if that is something that can occur when using a card.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:09 PM   #41
WzeroMN
WzeroMN began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
I get 2 IDENTICAL emails for every new post. Subscibe should only.get one, right?
WzeroMN is offline   Reply With Quote