Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 04-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #16
Justin Nemo
Stercus accidit
Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nookpadle 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
ISBNs are intended to uniquely identify a book so that if a bookshop orders it, it gets the right edition. Publishers, readers, libraries and other book users also make use of the ISBN for this purpose.

But since an ebook sold through Amazon (in one of Amazon's formats) is never sold or available anywhere else, an ISBN is unnecessary (although Amazon in the KDP system do now allow you to give an ISBN, it is not required).

All products sold on Amazon are given an ASIN - ?Amazon Stock Identifying Number? - and can be easily referenced using that ASIN like so:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/ASIN/

e.g. My edition of Kim at Amazon has an ASIN of B003JBHNS4 and can be found at http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003JBHNS4/

I do also have an ePub version of this book, ISBN 9781905946143. But I haven't given an ISBN to the version on Amazon.
So are the ASIN numbers as good as ISBN numbers? I'm presuming they can't be used anywhere else but Amazon, so maybe not.
Justin Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:31 AM   #17
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
ISBNs are intended to uniquely identify a book so that if a bookshop orders it, it gets the right edition. Publishers, readers, libraries and other book users also make use of the ISBN for this purpose.
[...]

I do also have an ePub version of this book, ISBN 9781905946143. But I haven't given an ISBN to the version on Amazon.

I put my Smashwords ISBN number on the KDP listing, which is not tech correct I realize, but if some one is searching on Amazon by ISBN (which I do for school books all the time) then it will come up at least.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #18
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Nemo View Post
So are the ASIN numbers as good as ISBN numbers? I'm presuming they can't be used anywhere else but Amazon, so maybe not.
No, its just an item number in Amazon's stores. Every store has their own inventory tracking numbers, and this is no different.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #19
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
I put my Smashwords ISBN number on the KDP listing, which is not tech correct I realize, but if some one is searching on Amazon by ISBN (which I do for school books all the time) then it will come up at least.
That's not a bad idea. Thanks.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:04 AM   #20
Justin Nemo
Stercus accidit
Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nookpadle 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
No, its just an item number in Amazon's stores. Every store has their own inventory tracking numbers, and this is no different.
OK. I see. Thanks for that.
Justin Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert