Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-31-2011, 01:20 AM   #1
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
Conversion problem from PDB (encoding?)

In the past I have successfully converted hundreds of PDB files, but I bought one at the weekend (using the last of my FW Micropay) and it has me stumped. I have tried all the encoding options in the Look and Feel section and they don't seem to work for this file. The PDB views fine in eReader for Mac, so it isn't corrupt.

The PML looks like this:

\c\T="1%"\a147Witty, fast-paced, and fabulous, \i\T="1%"Bloodshot\i\T="1%" is a refreshing addition to the urban fantasy genre. Priest\a146s darkly hilarious tale will leave readers anxious for more adventures with the charmingly neurotic Raylene and her unlikely entourage. A vastly entertaining read!\a148 \a151J\s\T="1%"EANIENE\s\T="1%" F\s\T="1%"ROST\s\T="1%",
\i\T="1%"New York Times\i\T="1%" bestselling author of \i\T="1%"This Side of the Grave\i
\c

Any ideas, oh great conversion gurus?

Thanks
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:35 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
That looks like some kind of markup gone wrong. Looks to me like RTF, but I'm not totally sure. You could try to paste the entire text into a new text file, call that .rtf, import to Calibre and try again...
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2011, 07:05 AM   #3
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It looks like normal PML to me, and the encodings seem right for codepage 1252. It is almost as if the PDB conversion in Calibre is ignoring the selected codepage - it always used to work.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:16 AM   #4
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
There is little chance it's an ecoding issue. eReader files are required to be cp1252 encoded. Dropbook and Makebook won't even compile the PML into a PDB if it's not.

ChristopherTD, you never stated what the issue your having is. Is it refusing to convert? Are you seeing left over junk like ="1%" in the output?
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:29 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
ChristopherTD, you never stated what the issue your having is. Is it refusing to convert? Are you seeing left over junk like ="1%" in the output?
Thank You, I'm not nuts (well not totally). I put together a reply post saying exactly that, but then I thought if I knew what the heck I was doing maybe it would be obvious from the code he put up. I never actually posted the reply and figured I'll just see what user_none says when he reviews this thread.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2011, 07:38 AM   #6
ChristopherTD
Addict

Oh sorry - yes, there is all sorts of left over junk in the file. I am not on my computer at the moment so I can't say for sure, it may be the ="%1" that it doesn't like, but there are so many of them that it looks completely broken.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:39 AM   #7
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
That's been fixed. Hold off converting those files until 0.7.44 is released.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:41 AM   #8
ChristopherTD
Addict

You guys are amazing!

(attaches virtual pint)

Many thanks
Old 01-31-2011, 07:45 AM   #9
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Huh. I kinda figured that was the output you posted.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:24 AM   #10
ChristopherTD
Addict

@Manichean

That was the Palm Markup Language code that gets compiled into a PDB file by DropBook. The backslashes are used to introduce formatting and special characters, rather like HTML tags. Sounds like this book had some rare values in it that Calibre will now handle in the next release. Can't beat service like that!
Old 02-05-2011, 02:59 AM   #11
ChristopherTD
Addict

Many thanks - the book converted perfectly with 0.7.44