Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-10-2015, 10:07 AM   #1
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
Duplicate books

My daughter's Kindle PW was dying. Before it finally went off to the afterworld (last night...), I managed to back up all of her books to my computer. I bought her a new PW (candidate for World's Best Dad, right?) and copied the books to the new device. I did this instead of just syncing from the Amazon cloud because many (most?) of the books on her device are ones that I'd sent to her from Calibre (via email).

Anyway, as I started looking at her new PW I noticed that many of the books appeared to be stored on the device twice. Queries:

1) How would that have happened?
2) Is it a potential problem, such that we should spend time deleting the duplicates (other than for space purposes; she has plenty of available space); I guess I'm worried about corrupted indexes or things like that.
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:15 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Are there multiple copies of the files?

Perhaps the books were syncing before you transferred over the backed-up ones.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2015, 06:56 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Syncing doesn't actually copy the book from the cloud. You have to do that yourself. Did you by chance use email to send the books from calibre? That would explain it.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:17 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Susan,

The original post explicitly states "many (most?) of the books on her device are ones that I'd sent to her from Calibre (via email)."
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:28 AM   #5
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The books for which there are duplicates all appear to be books that I emailed to the device from Calibre. Oddly, on at least some (I haven't check them all), the indicator for the amount of the book that has been read is different. Also, the duplicate books all appear to have been copied from the now-dead PW and not downloaded via sync. So somehow, the old PW wound up with duplicates of some books. Sadly, I can't experiment with the old PW to see if I can learn anything interesting because it is dead, dead, dead. Did I mention that the old PW is dead?
Advert
Old 09-11-2015, 01:42 PM   #6
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Doh. Well, if the books were from Amazon, and you also emailed the books, there should be two copies in the cloud. That's what you told it to do. The original copy, and a personal document copy. If the books are copies from the original Paperwhite, odds are they won't work on the new one, unless you stripped the DRM. Otherwise, unless you changed the titles or something, I don't see that you can tell from the Kindle which one is a personal doc, and which is the Amazon copy. Although, I've heard that in cover view, depending on how you sent them from Calibre, they might have a Personal doc banner across the cover, but I don't know if that shows up in the Archives/cloud. I don't have a Paperwhite.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:37 PM   #7
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong

Sorry, if I wasn't clear. None of the books that I emailed to her PW were from Amazon.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:39 PM   #8
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSWallack View Post
Sorry, if I wasn't clear. None of the books that I emailed to her PW were from Amazon.
Do you have it set so that books you email to her Kindle are also stored in the cloud?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 04:13 PM   #9
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong

I don't think so; I didn't even know that was an option. But presuming that I had turned that setting on (where do I find that setting), that wouldn't explain why the old PW had two copies of the books, would it?
Old 09-11-2015, 04:57 PM   #10
susan_cassidy
Wizard

Did it get emailed twice?
Old 09-12-2015, 01:39 PM   #11
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSWallack View Post
I don't think so; I didn't even know that was an option. But presuming that I had turned that setting on (where do I find that setting), that wouldn't explain why the old PW had two copies of the books, would it?
The option is set in Manage Your Content and Devices on the amazon website, and it may be enabled by default, but I'm not sure.

Are you sure that you're not looking at the Cloud view of the home screen?

If you are, and the books were sent to the cloud when you emailed them, you would see two copies--the one that you moved onto the device using USB, and the ones that were stored in the cloud. (or if you emailed them to the second device as well as the first then you may have both copies stored in the cloud)

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:54 AM   #12
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong

Sadly, I haven't been able to check some of these ideas. The good news is that the reason I haven't been able to check is because my daughter is so possessive of her PW on which she spends so much time reading. So I guess I'm willing to live with not knowing the answer to a problem if it means that my daughter is reading, reading, reading.