Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-28-2011, 10:06 PM   #46
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Out of the box, the answer is no. I know it's possible to strip the DRM and convert if needed. But as I keep saying, for most people, the answer is no.
If you keep saying it, maybe somebody, somewhere will believe you.....but I'll just keep reading library books on my Kindle!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:03 PM   #47
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
If you keep saying it, maybe somebody, somewhere will believe you.....but I'll just keep reading library books on my Kindle!
I know where you are coming from. But, "Out of the Box - NO" is the correct answer to this question. That is the answer that Over Drive or the libraries tech support will give Kindle owners that are trying to put DRMed ebooks on their Kindle.

But, people coming here can get the "technically" correct answer.

But, these things have all been said several times in this thread... so it should die.. I'm pretty sure this question is covered well in Daffy's Kindle Myths Wiki entry.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2011, 10:23 AM   #48
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
If you strip the DRM off a library book, does that make it difficult to return when the loan period is up? Also, if a library found out a patron did this, would their borrowing privileges be revoked?
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:52 AM   #49
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithbw View Post
If you strip the DRM off a library book, does that make it difficult to return when the loan period is up?
No.. it doesn't affect it at all. Also, you don't even need to "return" an ebook unless you return it early.

Quote:
Also, if a library found out a patron did this, would their borrowing privileges be revoked?
Possibly? Probably? Of course, I can't see how the library could find out. Unless you are sharing the in-the-clear results with people on a web site.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:54 AM   #50
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Quote:
If you strip the DRM off a library book, does that make it difficult to return when the loan period is up? Also, if a library found out a patron did this, would their borrowing privileges be revoked?
I believe the books expire of their own accord. Calibre, if used, does not affect the original "book" in any event. It makes a copy and then creates a de-drm-ed copy.

The library probably has no way to find out but if they did, they just might revoke privileges.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2011, 11:02 AM   #51
pashlit
Zealot
pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.

Device: DXG, PRS-350
If you want to read different formats on Kindle you can just install Duokan on it. Its not illegal and can be uninstalled pretty easy. You dont have to jailbreak your Kindle or do any sort of hack. It has some flows in displaying fonts as good as original Kindle software does but as an alternative its a very good solution.
pashlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:23 PM   #52
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
No.. it doesn't affect it at all. Also, you don't even need to "return" an ebook unless you return it early.

Possibly? Probably? Of course, I can't see how the library could find out. Unless you are sharing the in-the-clear results with people on a web site.

BOb
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
I believe the books expire of their own accord. Calibre, if used, does not affect the original "book" in any event. It makes a copy and then creates a de-drm-ed copy.

The library probably has no way to find out but if they did, they just might revoke privileges.
Thanks!
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote