Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-17-2006, 09:55 AM   #1
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Has anyone thought about FBReader on the PRS-500?

Just a thought, and I guess it's mainly directed at you Merry Hackers out there, but is anyone thinking about porting the likes of FBReader onto the Sony Reader?

I'd also be curious about the same question for the Merry iLiad Hackers, though it's a more academic question to me there.

Since FBReader is already a Linux app, and covers a fair number of additional formats, and has an impressive list of functionality, so it might be a nice addition.

Just wanted to throw it out there.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 10:16 AM   #2
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
How much would you pay?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2006, 01:33 PM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Well, first we need to find a way to run custom apps on the Reader, preferably without reflashing.
I have some ideas but nothing working yet...
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 02:39 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
How much would you pay?
Heh, I'd have to think about that one a moment, yvanleterrible.
Dunno, ~$15, maybe?

Yeah, igorsk, the SDK's absence is being felt more and more.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 02:32 AM   #5
nerys
Addict
nerys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 - REB 1200
I would love to replace the built in software with something that does NO indexing and simply starts at the "root" of my SD card and I can navigate from there. as long as the other "book" reading features are in place (page turning sizing rotating bookmarking) are all intact I would be happy as a pig in you know what. I would gladly pay $40-$50 for thsi MUCH more if it had nice extra features and was really polished and clean. I would be willing to replace the sony software as long as it was functionaly equal or better and as long as there was a safe way "back" if I did not like it.

Chris Taylor
http://www.nerys.com/
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2007, 10:59 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
So far as I can tell, FBReader is only currently available on devices with a touchscreen (or a mouse with the desktop version). So a port to the Iliad would be more straight forward. In the case of the Iliad, the only major obstacle is probably adding code to control screen updates.

Note that a group at Baen's Bar appear to be serious about a low cost e-book reader based on E Ink (e.g. Bookeen), or perhaps a ChLCD display (Kent Displays), using FBReader. This would probably not have a touch screen, so this is not a show stopper for FBReader.

I'm not sure why vendor's don't provide some level of support for porting FBReader. This does not replace a DRM-ed reader, but provides an alternative that makes it MUCH easier to use the device with legacy e-books and free e-books. At a minimum they sell more e-book hardware, and in the best case those new customers also buy DRM-ed books from their store.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote