Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-26-2017, 04:10 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xen View Post
I would not ever even consider having a Kobo ever again.

I bought one a couple years ago and it glitched constantly. I would have to reset it all the way to factory regularly. Every time I reset it I would have to enable the wifi to "reactivate" it. When I tried to return it for repairs, they wanted PICTURES of it before they would give me an RMA. They had no e-mail address listed on their US website, only a phone #. I did not have a phone (and hence no digital camera to take a picture of my kobo). I finally found a valid e-mail address after scouring the internet - finally found it listed on one of their non-US websites. That's when they told me they wouldn't give me an RMA until I sent them pictures of my device.

Then my computer went down and took the e-mail address I worked so hard to find with it. And I couldn't find it again online.

So they screwed me over several times, first by selling me a defective device, then by making it the next thing to impossible to contact them without a phone, and finally by setting up as many hoops as possible in the hopes that my warranty would expire before I could jump through all their stupid hoops.

Seriously. Exactly why did they need a photo of my device before I could return it? And "so they could make sure you hadn't dropped or otherwise physically damaged it" doesn't count because you could take a picture of ANY kobo and send it to them, they would have no way to tell if it was YOUR Kobo as long as it was the same model.

Kobo is NOT a reliable manufacturer and they do NOT want to honor their so-called "warranty".
It is not Kobo's fault you didn't have a phone or a digital camera. You could have used Skype and bought a plan to allow you to use your computer to call Kobo. It's not Kobo's fault your computer crashed. Did you not have friends or family who have a phone or a digital camera?

You are outside the norm. Not having any access to a phone and not having access to a digital camera is outside the norm. Did you tell Kobo that you didn't have access to a phone and a digital camera? Did you really not have access or did you just not want to ask friends or family?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 04:48 AM   #32
Smannesman
Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xen View Post
I would not ever even consider having a Kobo ever again.

I bought one a couple years ago and it glitched constantly. I would have to reset it all the way to factory regularly. Every time I reset it I would have to enable the wifi to "reactivate" it. When I tried to return it for repairs, they wanted PICTURES of it before they would give me an RMA. They had no e-mail address listed on their US website, only a phone #. I did not have a phone (and hence no digital camera to take a picture of my kobo). I finally found a valid e-mail address after scouring the internet - finally found it listed on one of their non-US websites. That's when they told me they wouldn't give me an RMA until I sent them pictures of my device.

Then my computer went down and took the e-mail address I worked so hard to find with it. And I couldn't find it again online.

So they screwed me over several times, first by selling me a defective device, then by making it the next thing to impossible to contact them without a phone, and finally by setting up as many hoops as possible in the hopes that my warranty would expire before I could jump through all their stupid hoops.

Seriously. Exactly why did they need a photo of my device before I could return it? And "so they could make sure you hadn't dropped or otherwise physically damaged it" doesn't count because you could take a picture of ANY kobo and send it to them, they would have no way to tell if it was YOUR Kobo as long as it was the same model.

Kobo is NOT a reliable manufacturer and they do NOT want to honor their so-called "warranty".
That is quite a rant.
In your situation I would be upset as well, although a defective unit is always a possibility unfortunately.
Do you have any recommendations though?
Smannesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 05:02 AM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smannesman View Post
That is quite a rant.
In your situation I would be upset as well, although a defective unit is always a possibility unfortunately.
Do you have any recommendations though?
But, he claims he had no phone or digital camera. And he hasn't said if he tried to use the phone of a friend or family or digital camera of friend or family. And it's not Kobo's fault his computer crashed.

I would still go with Kobo. His experiences are not typical. Then again, neither is he.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:17 AM   #34
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I bought a Kobo and it was faulty. Fortunately I bought it from a physical store so I just took it back. If you can, buy it from a physical store. I would think twice before buying online. If it doesn`t work it would be such a pain. I prefer to buy from stores unless I`m getting a discount.

And J S Wolf is a massive Kobo fanboy so don`t take too much notice of him. Kobo`s are okay, but you could get a lemon. I also found organising books on them on a pain. But they may be your best choice in the market. Kindle`s are okay, simpler and easier, but they are too restrictive. I personally wouldn`t get one. Choose your poison. Not of them are perfect. But definately buy from a physical store if you can, unless there`s an online discount.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:02 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I bought a Kobo and it was faulty. Fortunately I bought it from a physical store so I just took it back. If you can, buy it from a physical store. I would think twice before buying online. If it doesn`t work it would be such a pain. I prefer to buy from stores unless I`m getting a discount.

And J S Wolf is a massive Kobo fanboy so don`t take too much notice of him. Kobo`s are okay, but you could get a lemon. I also found organising books on them on a pain. But they may be your best choice in the market. Kindle`s are okay, simpler and easier, but they are too restrictive. I personally wouldn`t get one. Choose your poison. Not of them are perfect. But definately buy from a physical store if you can, unless there`s an online discount.
Organizing on a Kobo is really simple using Calibre. Once setup, you just fill in the series and/or tag fields and the management on the Kobo is done for you. How could that be difficult?

As for buying at a discount, if you are in the USA, buy from Chapters because you'll save money due to the Canadian exchange rate. When I bought my H2O, I did save money even though I paid shipping because of the exchange rate.

Not everyone can buy from a local shop. So if you limited yourself to a local shop because you might get a lemon, then you would not ever order anything online.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:00 AM   #36
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
If you use calibre I would recommend an android based eink reader with calibre companion the only hiccup might the battery that might not last as long as other readers. The best thing about these readers is that if you do not like how an app works you can try other apps.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 01:18 PM   #37
Smannesman
Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Organizing on a Kobo is really simple using Calibre. Once setup, you just fill in the series and/or tag fields and the management on the Kobo is done for you. How could that be difficult?

As for buying at a discount, if you are in the USA, buy from Chapters because you'll save money due to the Canadian exchange rate. When I bought my H2O, I did save money even though I paid shipping because of the exchange rate.

Not everyone can buy from a local shop. So if you limited yourself to a local shop because you might get a lemon, then you would not ever order anything online.
Well my Kobo just arrived so I'm experimenting with it now.
Thanks for your input!
Smannesman is offline   Reply With Quote