Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-15-2021, 01:26 PM   #1
eventualmente
eventualmente began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini N705
Cannot setup Kobo Mini N705 after factory reset

Hello all!

This is my first time using this forum, I hope this thread is not a duplicate.
I have read about similar problems in other threads but I am not sure if those solutions would work for me (I am not very tech savvy and could use some guidance )

After years of letting it collect dust I decided to use my Kobo Mini again. I remembered having received an an email about having to update the software a long time ago (2019), and so I did (plugging it to my computer). It seems that the library synced, but I am not sure the software was updated. Since I had a ton of half-read books I decided to do a factory reset... which apparently was a huge mistake.

Now I can turn it on but I cannot go through the setup process: if I do it via Wi-Fi it get stuck on the "Please wait while we upgrade your e-reader screen", and if I do it via my computer, Kobo Desktop gets stuck on a loop: "Downloading eReader upgrade", "Installing eReader upgrade" and I get the following error message:

Quote:
Please connect to the Internet

Oops, something happened to your internet connection and we couldn't finish your update. Please check your connection and try again.
Nothing is wrong with my internet connection. Why is this happening? From what I've seen in other threads, problems with the Kobo Mini could be fixed by replacing the SD card. Would this solution fix my issue?

Thank you so much for your time
eventualmente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 01:31 PM   #2
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
What you should do:
Go here - https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html (courtesy of @geek1011)
Download the firmware for the Glo (NOT the Glo HD)
Extract the zip file into the .kobo directory of your Mini.
Eject it. It will reboot. This is normal.
You should be able to set it up now, over WiFi or computer.
Good luck.
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2021, 03:13 PM   #3
eventualmente
eventualmente began at the beginning.

Thank you so much Elektron: I tried it and it worked perfectly!! I'm so happy now
eventualmente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 02:27 PM   #4
Hannah12345
Hannah12345 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
Hi! I have made the same mistake as eventualmente in factory resetting my kobo mini and followed the instructions but I am using a mac and not sure where to find the .kobo directory to extract the zip file too. Can you help at all or do I need a windows computer?

Fingers crossed you can help!
Hannah12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 02:49 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
See if this helps

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-...s-hidden-files

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2021, 05:57 PM   #6
_fact0tum_
_fact0tum_ began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektron View Post
What you should do:
Go here - https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html (courtesy of @geek1011)
Good luck.
I open this account just for say: Thank you!
_fact0tum_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 08:14 AM   #7
lacerated sky
lacerated sky began at the beginning.

Device: kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektron View Post
What you should do:
Good luck.

Hi, this is my first post, thank you for these instructions, they worked and my mini is now updated.
unfortunately however, my computer no longer recognises the device when i connect it, it was doing so perfectly well before so i assume its due to the update, is there anything i can do about this?
lacerated sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 04:59 AM   #8
Satyr118
Satyr118 began at the beginning.

I did what Elektron said and there didn't see to be any 'update' and my Kobo Mini still doesn't want to work. The firmware I downloaded was 4.26 and I put the extracted folder into the .kobo folder. I turned it off and on again and nothing different happened.
Satyr118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 05:13 AM   #9
Satyr118
Satyr118 began at the beginning.

nevermind, I figured it out. I have to put the contents of the zip file into that directory rather than the unzipped folder
Satyr118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 05:17 AM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Contents of extracted folder into .kobo
Something like two files and one folder:
Quote:
[___] upgrade (folder)
[] KoboRoot.tgz (archive package)
T manifest.md5sum (text checksum)
File names may differ.

Edit: Posts crossed!
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 02:19 AM   #11
dreambeat
Enthusiast
dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Kobos Mini & Libra 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacerated sky View Post
Hi, this is my first post, thank you for these instructions, they worked and my mini is now updated.
unfortunately however, my computer no longer recognises the device when i connect it, it was doing so perfectly well before so i assume its due to the update, is there anything i can do about this?
I had the same issue, and solved it by using a different cord and port on my computer. I think the Minis are just finicky sometimes. My other workaround was using a calibre remote connection via koreader, but that's just for adding books.
dreambeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 09:04 AM   #12
Djanoko
Djanoko began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Doesn't switch on

Hello,
I followed the instructions in this thread to set up my bricked Kobo mini, and it worked, the device booted and I stuffed it with books, only to realize that it only works while charging or connected to a computer. As soon as I unplug it, it freezes. What does this mean, and what can I do about it? Please help!
Djanoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 09:12 AM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Likely needs a new battery (really a cell).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 10:42 AM   #14
Djanoko
Djanoko began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
How do i get a new battery?!
Djanoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 11:12 AM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djanoko View Post
Hello,
I followed the instructions in this thread to set up my bricked Kobo mini, and it worked, the device booted and I stuffed it with books, only to realize that it only works while charging or connected to a computer. As soon as I unplug it, it freezes. What does this mean, and what can I do about it? Please help!
Same thing happened to me. Your battery is dead. If you're in the U.S. you can order one for two day delivery from Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/383759-1000mA...s%2C196&sr=8-1

You'll have to use the old battery's lead. If you know how to solder that's best. I didn't, so I twisted the ends together and used electrician's tape. Seems to be working okay.

Here's my adventure into fixing my Kindle Mini. (It's still working well.) Be forewarned that I ramble a lot.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=342614

Last edited by rcentros; 06-11-2023 at 11:21 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote