Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #1
crochetgeek2010
Enthusiast
crochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Orginization on kobo ereaders

I admit I am long time bookeen ereader - however my odyssey is @ death point and Kindle is a no go for me. Aura is most likely replacement. Currently I have have split my books up on my ereader by subject -> author -> series - thanks to Calibre all by series titles are series - # in series- book title - any brief warnings. Can in kobo ereaders I just bury the book shelves based on warning. Or can I do book shelf within in book shelf? From the sounds of this I am looking @ a long process of changing over stuff (ereading since the Palm tx days) so I may just start this this week. Thanks!

Laura
crochetgeek2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Shelves are flat; not nested.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Shelves are flat; not nested.
What he said. On the bright side, you can easily create shelves automatically using Calibre matching pretty much any metadata you want, so the management of shelves is quite simple.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:15 PM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
While it is true that Kobo's shelf and database approach can be made to work, with a lot of help from calibre, the Kobo AuraHD can also run Koreader which has a File Manager. So you can have both approaches, if you want. Also, Koreader can read .pdb ebooks as well as a number of other formats.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:56 PM   #5
Robert22
Zealot
Robert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: PRS-505 600 300 350 T1 T2 Kindle PW1 PW2 KV Clara 2E Libra 2 Leaf 2
Can a book belong to more than one shelf? In other words can I set up a shelf "Fiction" another "Short Stories" and another "SiFi" and have one book belong to all three?

If this is so I assume it is done with tags???

Can calibre create these shelves on the fly when transferring books to the Aura?

Thanks so much!
Robert22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2013, 01:02 PM   #6
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert22 View Post
Can a book belong to more than one shelf? In other words can I set up a shelf "Fiction" another "Short Stories" and another "SiFi" and have one book belong to all three?

Can calibre create these shelves on the fly when transferring books to the Aura?

Thanks so much!
Yes, a book can belong to several shelves. In order to do that, don't forget the comas when following PeterT explanations
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #7
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert22 View Post

Thanks so much!
Yes and yes. The thread over here gives directions on how to configure Calibre to create shelves. The Kobo driver assigns each book to a shelf when it is sent to the device, and if the shelf does not exist, it creates it.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #8
Robert22
Zealot
Robert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: PRS-505 600 300 350 T1 T2 Kindle PW1 PW2 KV Clara 2E Libra 2 Leaf 2
Thanks buffaloseven and samhy I really appreciate your help!
Robert22 is offline   Reply With Quote