Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 12-18-2009, 03:50 PM   #106
quicksilver
dude
quicksilver will become famous soon enoughquicksilver will become famous soon enoughquicksilver will become famous soon enoughquicksilver will become famous soon enoughquicksilver will become famous soon enoughquicksilver will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook
I can be that PRS-500 beta tester! Although, I have limited knowledge in programming.

Last edited by quicksilver; 12-18-2009 at 04:05 PM.
quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:05 PM   #107
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
quicksilver
Tell me your firmware version.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2009, 03:44 AM   #108
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Kartu, you may want to include my Default EPUB fonts hack in Url Plus, since you are already modifying the firmware...
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 05:07 AM   #109
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

pepak
Nice.

I don't remember, whether .so file needs x flag, if it does, updating it a single file (option 5) with igorsk's universal flasher won't work. (it works only with non executable files, since x flag is never set).

I don't get how epub works in ebook, could you elaborate? I'm confused with:
1) can epub file explicitly reference certain font by name (e.g. "Impact")? As far as I see from reading the code, ANY font file located in fonts is loaded.
2) What will happen if there is no userStyle.css file in epub, will it still work as before?
3) Could you change the path to /Data/database/system/epub?

Last edited by kartu; 12-19-2009 at 05:09 AM.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:27 AM   #110
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
I don't remember, whether .so file needs x flag, if it does, updating it a single file (option 5) with igorsk's universal flasher won't work. (it works only with non executable files, since x flag is never set).
It works, though. So maybe it doesn't need the 'x' flag.

Quote:
1) can epub file explicitly reference certain font by name (e.g. "Impact")? As far as I see from reading the code, ANY font file located in fonts is loaded.
Yes. But most often people don't specify font names, they just leave the renderer to use default fonts ("serif", "sans-serif" and "monospace").

Quote:
2) What will happen if there is no userStyle.css file in epub, will it still work as before?
Yes.

Quote:
No. My hack depends on matching the filename length of the original filename. You start with res:///adobe/pxf/userStyle.css, so you have 30 characters to work with, 12 of which are pre-determined (res:///Data/). You would have to be able to recompile the .so file if you wanted to increase the length.
Advert
Old 12-19-2009, 05:29 AM   #111
pepak
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
You could probably do it using links, though. Or change the filename, e.g. /Data/database/style.css is doable.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:35 AM   #112
kartu
PRS+ author

Does PRS 500 have the same so file?
Old 12-19-2009, 05:37 AM   #113
pepak
Guru

I have no idea whatsoever. But if you have a flasher for PRS-500, you can use the same method I used for PRS-505 - you extract the file from original firmware, overwrite its contents, then flash it back.

You may find this utility useful:
http://www.pepak.net/files/mirror/cramfsck.zip
Old 12-19-2009, 09:02 AM   #114
quicksilver
dude
quicksilver will become famous soon enoughquicksilver will become famous soon enoughquicksilver will become famous soon enoughquicksilver will become famous soon enoughquicksilver will become famous soon enoughquicksilver will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook
My firmware is: 1.0.03.07170
quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:15 AM   #115
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
kartu, I just tried installing according to your guide. But I wasn't sure if I have to replace the database folder of my 505 or if I just add the system folder to the existing database folder. Once I know I'll go ahaed and do it and then I'll take the pictures. Where do you want me to put them? Right here in the forum?
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:29 AM   #116
pepak
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_73 View Post
if I have to replace the database folder of my 505 or if I just add the system folder to the existing database folder.
Just copy the supplied "database" folder over your existing "database" folder, replacing any files that already exist (if any).
Old 12-19-2009, 12:15 PM   #117
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Thanks for the hint. I think it's just awesome. Uniform font size was something I wanted all the way through. Even in my private documents I hate too much different formatting. I'll tinker around the menus tonight and will take the pictures tomorrow when we have "available light" for taking the pictures. Just awesome!
Old 12-19-2009, 01:13 PM   #118
kartu
PRS+ author

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
My firmware is: 1.0.03.07170
OK, please do the following:

0) connect your ebook to PC/mac

1) download and extract this to your SD card:
http://prs-plus.googlecode.com/files/flasher-igorsk.zip

2) create the following folder structure on your SD card:
/files.500.1.0.03.07170/opt/sony/ebook (don't put any files there)

3) disconnect your ebook, igorsk's flasher should start

4) press 5, this will copy content of your firmware to the new_opt3.img file.

5) press menu to exit the flasher

Send the new_opt3.img file to kartu3@gmail.com. (don't try to compress it, as it's already compressed)
Old 12-19-2009, 04:02 PM   #119
Mike_73
Guru

Ok, I've been tinkering a little with the new software. Would it be possible to open the files (books) when browsing the folders? Once a bookmark is set, I have no problem finding my stuff again where I left off. But to initially find something, I'd rather depend on folder browsing as I usually recall the filename instead of the books name. Otherwise, I just love the uniform font size, the Sudoku may be something my wife is looking into and I love the structure of the menu. Thanks for the work so far.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:14 PM   #120
kartu
PRS+ author

Mike, I am not sure what you mean:
1) Having "continue reading" in Browse Folders menu?
2) Opening books from external card with disabled scanning?

you should be able to open books when browsing folders, unless it's an SD/MS card with EXPLICITLY disabled scanning (.noscan file present in the root folder) in which case you'd get a menu to copy the file to internal memory.