Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-04-2007, 09:36 PM   #451
urseus
urseus began at the beginning.

Device: Reader
You should get it by then. The online tracking is a great way to pass the time, watching it go from city to city.

Also, the Silver is so the way to go. If your going to read books like your in the future, its got to look like it.
urseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 05:47 AM   #452
Speccy
Speccy began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
I'm in Riga and ordered it from BH on 23.nov , got it today

Total costs: reader 289$ + shipping by USPI 42$ + duty 52$ = 383 $
Speccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2007, 11:06 PM   #453
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
My Sony arrived! And it's love at first sight!

I do a lot of overseas travel. Normally, I lug around a heavy heap of books to read, ration my reading so I don't run out, abandon books once they're read, and buy more to read while I'm travelling. I can see this neat little gadget cutting back on all that.

Thanks to you guys for putting me onto B & H. They proved to be super efficient.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:06 AM   #454
Jeeves
Jeeves has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS 505
I just ordered my PRS 505 from BH and waiting.
Jeeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:13 AM   #455
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Lucky you!

They are still out of stock for blue ones
I suspect I will not be able to purchase it until after Christmas...last year they were out of stock all December until 10th of January
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2007, 05:58 AM   #456
Anhunedd
Anhunedd began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Greetings. This site has just cost me £200 by helping me decide I needed a Sony PRS-505.

I went for B&H as recommended in this thread, ordered on Tuesday afternoon, followed their procedure and I am pleased to see it is out for delivery right now. That's less than 48 hours - stuff from within the UK normally takes at least that long!

UPS called me yesterday for customs clearance, which cost just over £40 including their £11 fee (a little high I thought - surely I've already just paid $40 for them to handle my parcel from the US to the UK).

A little disappointed I couldn't get the blue model, but then I think the silver surround probably matches the lightness of the display a lot better, so I'm sure it'll be good.

Pity I am at work today so I'll have to wait until this evening before "first play".
Anhunedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:40 AM   #457
ahseng77
ahseng77 began at the beginning.

Device: se p990,505,mot355,nok1255
wwwaaaaiiiitiiing, and getting nervous, it's been 10 days now....
ahseng77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 05:54 PM   #458
urseus
urseus began at the beginning.

Device: Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahseng77 View Post
wwwaaaaiiiitiiing, and getting nervous, it's been 10 days now....
Are you tracking it on the UPS site? It should tell you exactly where the package is?
urseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:15 PM   #459
Jeeves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhunedd View Post
Greetings. This site has just cost me £200 by helping me decide I needed a Sony PRS-505.

I went for B&H as recommended in this thread, ordered on Tuesday afternoon, followed their procedure and I am pleased to see it is out for delivery right now. That's less than 48 hours - stuff from within the UK normally takes at least that long!

UPS called me yesterday for customs clearance, which cost just over £40 including their £11 fee (a little high I thought - surely I've already just paid $40 for them to handle my parcel from the US to the UK).

A little disappointed I couldn't get the blue model, but then I think the silver surround probably matches the lightness of the display a lot better, so I'm sure it'll be good.

Pity I am at work today so I'll have to wait until this evening before "first play".
!
1 - UPS - exactly because of what you just said, I avoided UPS, and choose International Express Mail - 2-3 days delivery. Since PRS 505 was 10$ cheaper than everywhere else, I decided to give them for Epress post / as you can see on the web 10 bucks is the diference between 2-3 day and 10 business days delivery). And using International REGULAR Mail /USPS/ - I have NEVER paid taxes or BROKERAGE FEES. Worst case - GST.
2. About the colour - lacking the blue colour was that, what was stopping me for a time to make the purchase, BUT believe it or not, I started to like the white/silver model better. And if you see it with text on the screen, the colours just match better /to say it professionally / Depends on the tastes I guess, but for me the SILVER looks nicer - clearer, fashionable, stylish, more personal, and more like a toy, which is exactly what it is for me.
Enjoy guys,
PS - still waiting. The first day is gone though
Old 12-06-2007, 08:15 PM   #460
maxk
Enthusiast
maxk began at the beginning.

I hope you guys enjoy your new toy as much as I have been

maxk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:43 PM   #461
RooX
RooX began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
well i hope no one is too mad. i happen to be the proud recipient of the last blue 505 from BHphoto... loaded with books already. great device so far.
RooX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:29 PM   #462
Jeeves

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooX View Post
well i hope no one is too mad. i happen to be the proud recipient of the last blue 505 from BHphoto... loaded with books already. great device so far.
I guess You shouldn't have said that...anyway
Old 12-07-2007, 04:08 AM   #463
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Well, my blue one's still getting closer to me, according to tracking (with the status updating in the early hours of the mornings).

Interestingly, the USPS tracking code is recognised by the UK ParcelForce tracking system (PF seem to handle the normal USPS deliveries in the UK), although there's no/limited feed back to the US, so while the USPS site just shows it as having gone "Out of Foreign Customs", the PF site is showing it at the further stages 'in-country'.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:07 AM   #464
Anhunedd
Anhunedd began at the beginning.

Yay!

Well, it made it fine. A little under 48 hours from order to door. Which I reckon is an average speed of just over 60 miles per hour all the way

And it is fantastic. I was half way through a book, so I sourced a .lit file of it, converted it to .lrf, found where I was up to, and off I went.

My first thoughts:

Silver works fine. It does indeed match the screen colour very well. I now think had I gone for the blue one, it would have looked better as a piece of kit, but somehow not so good when in use. So I'm happy there. I think the background colour of the screen is ever so slightly more grey than I thought it would be. But it doesn't detract from the reading at all, just my own perception.

The refresh flash is initially a bit odd, but as has been reported before, you soon don't notice it - I hit the page turn button just before reaching the end of the sentence at the bottom of the page, and by the time I've absorbed the last 2-3 words and moved my eyes up to the top left, it is just coming back.

The only thing I dislike is the outside colour of the included cover. Quite a yucky mid-brown. Not quite sure why it wasn't the same silver-grey the inside / device is.

Guess I'll have to get a better cover for it when it launches here in the UK. Not worth importing one of them.

Overall, it rocks. And so do B&H.
Anhunedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:39 AM   #465
ahseng77
ahseng77 began at the beginning.

Device: se p990,505,mot355,nok1255
i'm using International Priority Mail so i can't track it
ahseng77 is offline   Reply With Quote