Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-12-2021, 02:35 AM   #1
DaySleeper
Enthusiast
DaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toys

Device: MoonReader+ Android app on Samsung Galaxy S6 Lite and otherst
Crash on connecting LG V20 phone

I had copied a few books to my phone to read with Moon+Reader Pro (same app I use on my tablet, where I do most of my reading), and was trying to use the sync-to-Google Drive feature to, well, sync them up. It's not syncing as it should, and I discovered that I have two different sync files in my GDrive, with variations on the filename. That probably explains the sync failure - the two devices are each looking for a slightly different sync file.

The most obvious difference is that with the tablet, I connect it to the computer via USB and with the phone, I've been using Calibre's content server. So tonight I tried connecting the phone by USB to copy books that way, but whenever I do that Calibre crashes once it notices that the phone is attached. I'm using 5.24.0 portable.

I ran in debug mode, and here are some lines that I hope will be useful:
Spoiler:

[various lines that look related to general startup]
[2.60] Started up in 2.60 seconds with 7169 books
Starting QuickView
Job: 0 Get device information started
DeviceJob: 0 Get device information done, calling callback
DeviceJob: 0 Get device information callback returned
Job: 1 Set library information started
DeviceJob: 1 Set library information done, calling callback
DeviceJob: 1 Set library information callback returned
Job: 2 Get list of books on device started
MTP: Loading filesystem metadata...
MTP: Ignored object: Music
MTP: Loading filesystem metadata...
MTP: Ignored object: Music
MTP: Ignored object: Ringtones
MTP: Ignored object: Alarms
MTP: Ignored object: Notifications
MTP: Ignored object: Pictures
MTP: Ignored object: Movies
MTP: Ignored object: DCIM
MTP: Ignored object: Android/media
MTP: Ignored object: Android/obb
Job: 0 Get device information finished
No details available.
ob: 1 Set library information finished
No details available.
MTP: Ignored object: Android/data/com.google.android.gms
MTP: Ignored object: Android/data/com.google.android.youtube
[then a whole lot of similar lines ignoring various folders on my phone]. The last one before the log ends (so is the last one before the crash) is:
MTP: Ignored object: Android/data/com.android.chrome

Last edited by theducks; 08-12-2021 at 06:40 AM. Reason: spoilered log
DaySleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 03:03 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
crashes with what error?
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2021, 02:18 AM   #3
DaySleeper
Enthusiast
DaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
crashes with what error?
No error message at all. It just closes down. Usually it's almost immediately after it sees the phone, sometimes it takes a minute or two, or scrolling a bit or searching for a book. This behavior is persistent and re-occurred after the computer had been shut down & restarted. I have not had this problem with either of my two Android tablets, just the phone.
Old 08-13-2021, 03:01 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Then that will be a crash in the mtp driver. I fixed all of those i could find by code inspection, but apparently there is still something left. Sadly without a way to reproduce its not going to be possible to fix. You will have to use one of the wireless transfer methods for this device: https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...kindle-fire-hd
Old 08-13-2021, 09:42 PM   #5
DaySleeper
Enthusiast

So the reason I was trying to use the USB method on my phone was to fix problems I was having with Moon+Reader in syncronizing reading position across devices. Apparently, its sync file name is based on the device-file name, and those names are different across the devices. That would certainly explain the sync-failure since they're not recognized as the same book.

I found a Calibre setting under Preferences - Sending books to devices, and it is set at the default: {author_sort}/{title} - {authors}. For the tablet, which generally receives books via USB, I'm seeing (at least for the file I'm currently reading & trying to sync with my phone) {title_sort} - {Authors}. For my phone, getting books via Content Server, I'm getting files named {title} - {authors}. Temporarily changing the setting in Preferences - Sending Books to {title_sort} - {authors}, then deleting and re-sending the book to the phone, I still got a file named {title} - {authors} and the sync-failure continued. So clearly, I'm not fully understanding how this preference is supposed to function.

So, is there a way to get Calibre to send the same file name to the receiving device regardless of sending method? I do see in the Sending books to devices preference a mention of adjusting preferences by device, but I haven't tried that with my tablet, so it should follow the defaults, and I can't try it for my phone, because Calibre bails when it sees my phone connected.
Advert
Old 08-13-2021, 10:18 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No if you use wireless the the filename is ultimately controlled by the software on the device not calibre.

Tags
crash, lg phone, sync