Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 09-20-2017, 05:03 PM   #16
obs20
Wizard
obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 600, Nook ST, Toshiba Excite 10.1 AT 300
I nominate Post Office by Charles Bukowski
obs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:38 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
2.) because this is NOT A SERIES!

Yes, this is book 7. But I honestly don't think it matters, and it very much DOES fit the category. Having re-read Breakup recently, it's still funny enough to have me reading passage to my DW.
Yes, it is a series. And yes, it is best to read in order. I have read some of the Kate Shugak books and yes, it is a series. To say it's not a series is just plain wrong.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2017, 05:47 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obs20 View Post
I'll second Post Office.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:10 PM   #19
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, it is a series. And yes, it is best to read in order. I have read some of the Kate Shugak books and yes, it is a series. To say it's not a series is just plain wrong.
Please read more carefully, Jon. I said that the Calvin Trillin books were not a series. Certainly the Kate Shugak books are. And yet, each one stands alone and can be read on its own. Certainly, Breakup can be.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:25 PM   #20
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
The Trillin "Tummy Trilogy" isn't a series. The books are essays that can be read in any order. I think my much reread, tattered paperbacks are lurking here somewhere, but I did pick up the ebook Alice, Let's Eat at some point, too. Seconded. Aside from being hilarious, Trillin comes across as a thoroughly nice guy. If you don't "know" him, he's well worth meeting.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2017, 06:26 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Please read more carefully, Jon. I said that the Calvin Trillin books were not a series. Certainly the Kate Shugak books are. And yet, each one stands alone and can be read on its own. Certainly, Breakup can be.
Sorry for getting things incorrect. But one thing I stand on is that the Kate Shugak series is a series and it is a series to be read in order.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:35 PM   #22
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
The Trillin "Tummy Trilogy" isn't a series. The books are essays that can be read in any order. I think my much reread, tattered paperbacks are lurking here somewhere, but I did pick up the ebook Alice, Let's Eat at some point, too. Seconded. Aside from being hilarious, Trillin comes across as a thoroughly nice guy. If you don't "know" him, he's well worth meeting.
Everything I've read about him and by him agrees with that. I lost my much read Tummy Trilogy books in this latest move to Canada somehow, but have since obtained a paperback version that includes all three. But it's a bit awkward for my old hands.

The eBook of Alice is a bit easier to read.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:26 PM   #23
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I had a dandy, but the Kindle edition was so obviously a bootleg copy (it's PD in Canada) that I gave up on it.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:40 PM   #24
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Well, I had a dandy, but the Kindle edition was so obviously a bootleg copy (it's PD in Canada) that I gave up on it.
Well, for those of us who live in Canada, what was the book? (And if it's on Kobo, and legit, we can certainly go with that and folks can convert. Assuming, of course, that it is selected.)
Old 09-22-2017, 09:44 AM   #25
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Well, for those of us who live in Canada, what was the book? (And if it's on Kobo, and legit, we can certainly go with that and folks can convert. Assuming, of course, that it is selected.)
It's England, Their England by A.G. Macdonell. It won the James Tait Black aware (Britain's oldest literary prize) in 1933 and is on the Guardian's list of a thousand must-read novels. Here's the Faded Page link.

Quote:
Banished from his native Scotland by a curious clause in his father’s will, Donald Cameron moves to London and decides to conduct a study of the English people; a strange race who, he is told, have built an entire national identity around a reverence for team spirit and the memory of Lord Nelson....

What follows is one of the funniest social satires ever written. Whether Cameron is haplessly participating in a village cricket match, being shown around an exclusive golf course, or trying to watch a rugby match in the thick London fog, his affectionately bemused portrait of his new countrymen is a joy to read.

Reminiscent of the gentle wit of P. G. Wodehouse and Jerome K. Jerome, England, Their England offers a delightful portrait of Britain in the 1920s.
The only Kindle edition ($2.99) is obviously a bootleg; similarly, Kobo US has three editions, I think. Any copy at Kobo Canada is obviously legit! But there's no point in paying Kobo Canada for something you can get for free at Faded Page.

I know Amazon bootlegs aren't my problem, but I don't like to see pirates profit from their larceny. We don't have a rule requiring an ebook edition, much less a US ebook edition (and have had a selection that didn't, one of my favorite choices in fact), but I figure it's not in the spirit of the club to nominate something that's legal in my home market only in pbook.

Which doesn't mean a loyal Canadian couldn't nominate it!

ETA: Legal in Life + 70 as well as Life + 50

Last edited by issybird; 09-22-2017 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:17 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The FadedPages ePub for England, Their England is not good. There are a number of gaps that are not in the HTML. It's best to start with the HTML and work from there.

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-22-2017 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:53 AM   #27
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The ePub for England, Their England is not good. It's best to start with the HTML and work from there.
Excuse me, Jon, but whose ePub? FadedPages? Or another? And in what way not good. (I should note, I've never yet had a bad version from FadedPage - their volunteers are quite dedicated and their process rigorous.)

I'm off to get myself a copy. I might just nominate it, especially since it's PD in the UK and EU as well as here.

ETA: By looking the book up on the UK site, I was able to identify what appears to be a legitimate Kindle version sold by a UK publisher. It's $6.99, not $2.99, and I would, of course, choose the FadedPage version for my own reading, but if others agree that this is a legal copy, I'll nominate it.

Last edited by CRussel; 09-22-2017 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Added non-bootleg version!
Old 09-22-2017, 11:10 AM   #28
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Excuse me, Jon, but whose ePub? FadedPages? Or another? And in what way not good. (I should note, I've never yet had a bad version from FadedPage - their volunteers are quite dedicated and their process rigorous.)

I'm off to get myself a copy. I might just nominate it, especially since it's PD in the UK and EU as well as here.
I'll second, if you do. Life + 70 tipped the balance for me and it's easy enough to get from the library.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:14 AM   #29
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
I'll second, if you do. Life + 70 tipped the balance for me and it's easy enough to get from the library.
See my ETA. Do we agree that this appears to be a legal copy?
Old 09-22-2017, 11:33 AM   #30
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
See my ETA. Do we agree that this appears to be a legal copy?
Absolutely, but I also think any copy (including Faded Page) is legal pretty much all over, except for here. Macdonell died in 1941 which puts him comfortably into Life + 70 as well as Life + 50.