Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-09-2014, 11:01 AM   #1
gate1975mlm
gate1975mlm began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD Plus
Thumbnail previews for epub files in Window explorer folders?

Hello,

Is there any chance a new feature could be added where you would be able to see thumbnail previews when viewing all your epub files in a window explorer folder? I like opening my epub files using the e-book viewer from with in explorer folders.And it would be great if I could use thumbnails so I could see the e book covers.

I would like this for the 64 bit version as that is the one I use.

Thanks
gate1975mlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 03:02 AM   #2
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
surely i'ts windows that controls what you see in a windows explorer folder, not calibre ?
how it works for pdf - i think is that windows calls the app for that file type - adobe - & it generates the picture icon which typically shows a cover page thumbnail, then hands that back to windows to cache.

I doubt that windows bothers to call anything for epub format.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2014, 03:38 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
surely i'ts windows that controls what you see in a windows explorer folder, not calibre ?
how it works for pdf - i think is that windows calls the app for that file type - adobe - & it generates the picture icon which typically shows a cover page thumbnail, then hands that back to windows to cache.

I doubt that windows bothers to call anything for epub format.
Windows will show them if someone implements a Thumbnail Provider for the 'epub' file type, see ==>> Thumbnail Handlers (Windows).

If anyone's minded to do so, then they might want to consider doing an 'epub' Preview Provider and an IFilter for 'epub'.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 08-10-2014 at 04:04 AM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 04:07 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The big question:
'Is this requested feature supported by all of the Calibre supported OS?'

Kovid usually does not put effort into 1 OS type features (patches welcome, is a typical answer)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 04:12 AM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Perhaps someone would like to write an EPUB thumbnails for Windows program...

But this is a little beyond calibre's scope.

(I imagine all OSes offer something to do this, I know linux file explorers show thumbnails for images/videos/PDF. I would be very surprised if it wasn't modular. )
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2014, 04:22 AM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Some threads that may be on interest to the OP...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=208260
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?t=35505#5
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=203615

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Thumbnails
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:18 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

- CBX Shell and the registry hack did the trick. Good to have,

BR
Old 08-10-2014, 05:19 AM   #8
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Windows will show them if someone implements a Thumbnail Provider for the 'epub' file type, see ==>> Thumbnail Handlers (Windows).

If anyone's minded to do so, then they might want to consider doing an 'epub' Preview Provider and an IFilter for 'epub'.

BR
still seems pointless to me. anyone using calibre already has a very good cover browser, so why bother to browse with windows explorer?
Old 08-10-2014, 11:12 AM   #9
gate1975mlm
gate1975mlm began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD Plus
CBX Shell Manager and the registry hack worked for me

Now all epub files are showing the book covers in Windows Explorer.

I have it working on Windows 7 64 Bit and also Windows 8.1 64 Bit and hopefully on Windows 9 when that is released too

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10592650.jpg
Views:	4353
Size:	290.1 KB
ID:	126637  

Last edited by gate1975mlm; 08-10-2014 at 11:16 AM.
gate1975mlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:40 AM   #10
cybmole
Wizard

lurking & tracking:
so what program is now generating the thumbnails - calibre ?
and where are the thumbnails coming from - inside of the epub I assume, from the cover.html page ?
is there any dependency on needing those epubs to also be in a calibre library somewhere on the system ?

I followed the midde link, given above, which has the required registry hack code but it's all done with numbers! so i'ts not obvious to me exactly "how" it is working.

Also, is the "hack that woklred" dependent on what program you have associated with epub in file associations - becuase in my case that is set to sigil not calibre & I would not want to have to change it, just to get thumbnails
Old 08-10-2014, 11:53 AM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The Wiki link describes it. calibre is not involved at all, and it doesn't matter what the default Open With is.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:35 PM   #12
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
The Wiki link describes it....
ok - my bad - I did not follow all of the links - so CBX shell is what does all the hard work.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:09 PM   #13
cybmole
Wizard

well I msut have missed something.
I followed the stuff in italics, from the given link - pasted below ( win 7 64 bit)
i.e. I downloaded & installed CBX Shell & and ran it -though it did nothing obvious.
then I pasted the given 3 lines into notepad, saved as thumb.reg. ran that
windows said OK- added to registry.
Then opened my Ade directory but all I see is sigil icons on the epubs therein.
thought well maybe it does not worked for drm files so I opened a random folder in calibre library - saw the same there ?
i checked icons - small, medium large & also tiles, in the windows view options

so do I need a reboot or something to make it work, or have i missed a step somehow ?
( I have also run regedit & used find to locate epub - & I see the stuff inserted OK )

I followed this procedure. It's based on what Scruffy says but for Windows 7 (and in my case Windows 8.1) it is suggested to use CBX Shell. That is, (1) install CBX Shell, and (2) add the shell extension (i.e. put the following in a 'thumbs.reg' file and add it to the Registry):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.epub\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
@="{9E6ECB90-5A61-42BD-B851-D3297D9C7F39}"

Last edited by cybmole; 08-10-2014 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:58 PM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@cybmole - I followed the same procedure and worked for me. No reboot necessary. See attachment for a screen shot of the actual registry entry.

As to its usefulness, some people don't use the calibre GUI at all, and others only use it as a catalogue. Via Save to Disk templates, the latter keep their 'books' in a folder structure whose structure they control.

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	1492
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	126666  
Old 08-11-2014, 12:33 AM   #15
cybmole
Wizard

strange, I see exactly that in registry

I only did this out of curiosity , I did not plan on getting sucked into a lengthy debugging !
i assume that gobbledegook is what links cbx shell to the epub type ?
maybe I have the wrong version of CBZ shell. 4.6.2. it's not a very informative program so hard to tell ?. or it may be kidding me that it installed properly, I use that anti-ransomware cryprto prevent freeware which blocks new code from installing via appdata so I'd better check that & see if anything needs whitelisting

Last edited by cybmole; 08-11-2014 at 12:36 AM.