Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 08-29-2021, 05:21 PM   #16
capink
Wizard
capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Also, if you want to dig deeper on this, you can test the old version on the plugin on a test library (that uses a different config folder by setting the variable CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY). If you don't have the older version, I can send it to you if you want.
capink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 05:22 PM   #17
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Sorry, I was unclear. I meant that I'm running from source because I wanted to use that change.

I looked at the other changes; there weren't many between 5.25 and 5.26 and I don't see anything related to the database. Hm.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2021, 05:24 PM   #18
capink
Wizard
capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
A threading violation or any other error while writing the database could cause a transaction to be rolled back. How big is a transaction? My guess: changes to a column for all affected books.
It never happened when you changed column for multiple books, as that only fires a single event with multiple book_ids. During my testing it happened only when multiple db events where happening in succession. (e.g. adding books)

Edit: Theoretically it can happen if you bulk change multiple columns using the bulk metadata edit dialog as that fire multiple events (one event per column). But I tested this multiple times and it did not happen, but the error was random so maybe with more testing it would happen. But it was more easily replicated when adding books.

Last edited by capink; 08-29-2021 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-29-2021, 05:32 PM   #19
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The bulk edits I did in that session were a) changing an enumerated column for maybe 16 books and b) Kobo Utilities updating some reading-status columns (which I specifically excluded from LM so it shouldn't have triggered anything at all).
Old 08-29-2021, 05:41 PM   #20
capink
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
The bulk edits I did in that session were a) changing an enumerated column for maybe 16 books and b) Kobo Utilities updating some reading-status columns (which I specifically excluded from LM so it shouldn't have triggered anything at all).
Are you sure the first edit was only applied to one column, because I don't that would trigger the error. See the quoted edit to my previous post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capink View Post
Edit: Theoretically it can happen if you bulk change multiple columns using the bulk metadata edit dialog as that fire multiple events (one event per column). But I tested this multiple times and it did not happen, but the error was random so maybe with more testing it would happen. But it was more easily replicated when adding books.
Advert
Old 08-29-2021, 05:44 PM   #21
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

I did it via drag-and-drop to tag browser instead of the bulk edit dialog, so I don't see how I could change multiple columns.

My memory isn't too good, but I think this is what I did:

1. Edit permissible values to add the new enumerated value.
2. Edit one book (via cell in book list) to use that value so it appears in the tag browser.
3. Drag and drop the other books onto the entry in the tag browser.
Old 08-29-2021, 05:50 PM   #22
capink
Wizard

Quote:
I did it via drag-and-drop to tag browser instead of the bulk edit dialog, so I don't see how I could change multiple columns.

My memory isn't too good, but I think this is what I did:

1. Edit permissible values to add the new enumerated value.
2. Edit one book (via cell in book list) to use that value so it appears in the tag browser.
3. Drag and drop the other books onto the entry in the tag browser.
I just tested this, and unlike the bulk metadata edit dialog, this actually fires multiple successive events (on per book basis), so it can definitely trigger the apsw.ThreadViolationError. (with the old version of the plugin).

But still, I think it would affect one or two books maximum.

Last edited by capink; 08-29-2021 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-03-2021, 05:38 PM   #23
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

I'm going to guess this is not possible, but can Last Modified ignore the addition or deletion of a specific value from a tag-like column? e.g. I add and remove "To Be Read" to #kobocoll on a regular basis (especially on ongoing fanfics) and want to ignore that.

If not, I can just set it to ignore the column entirely. No big issue.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 09-03-2021 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-03-2021, 06:32 PM   #24
capink
Wizard

It is not possible because the plugin is notified about the change after it happens, and has no way to know the old value to make a comparison.
Old 09-04-2021, 04:43 PM   #25
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

While a little outside the scope of a last modified plugin, could the "view" action be added to the list of things to detect? This would allow me to retire my View action chain.

Thanks for consideration.
Old 09-04-2021, 04:49 PM   #26
capink
Wizard

That would need a modification to calibre source to make it fire an event whenever a book is viewed (similar to what calibre does when a book is edited by calibre editor).
Old 09-04-2021, 05:24 PM   #27
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

I do know that Job Spy does it (but it also triggers if you click the book in details which is why I don't use that plugin).
Old 09-04-2021, 06:05 PM   #28
capink
Wizard

Quote:
I do know that Job Spy does it (but it also triggers if you click the book in details which is why I don't use that plugin).
It monkeypatches calibre, something I am not willing to do.
Old 09-24-2021, 04:02 AM   #29
capink
Wizard

Version 0.7.1

Version 0.7.1
  • Update: Add hibernation mode. Other plugins can now put the Last Modified plugin into hibernation mode whenever they do successive updates to multiple columns in multiple books. This improves performance.
Old 10-11-2021, 06:23 PM   #30
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Just curious: Could Last Modified also populate a column with which column was last modified? I'm not sure how this would work for editing multiple fields in the dialog rather than using the book list though.