Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-11-2020, 10:31 AM   #1
Albyr
Enthusiast
Albyr began at the beginning.

Device: none
I want to buy an e-reader to convert into a weather display

Happy to buy something secondhand. Is there a particular e-reader that would be well-suited to this project? It seems like maybe Kindles don't work as well for this as they used to?
Albyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 11:23 AM   #2
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
Why not just buy an actual weather device?
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2020, 12:12 PM   #3
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albyr View Post
Happy to buy something secondhand. Is there a particular e-reader that would be well-suited to this project? It seems like maybe Kindles don't work as well for this as they used to?
I would think that a kindle is as good as any other for something like this. I once did a search and there are many tutorials on how to use an eink display with a raspberry pi.

There's a recent thread here about someone's kindle having a dodgy display that's faded on the edges so you could investigate that and figure out which models to avoid. I have an ancient Kindle Touch that still has an excellent display.

Last edited by hobnail; 10-11-2020 at 12:16 PM.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 02:59 PM   #4
Albyr
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
Why not just buy an actual weather device?
Because "actual weather devices" don't have eInk screens.
Old 10-12-2020, 03:04 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would think a Kobo is a lot better then a Kindle because the Kobo is a lot less locked down and there is code you can look at to see how to code for Kobo.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2020, 01:00 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Because "actual weather devices" don't have eInk screens.
But actual eink gadgets have no sensors. I have 3 different mono LCD "weather" + clock devices. Perfectly readable without backlight and run on a CR2032 cell.

It's not like a book where you are reading for hours.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 08:45 AM   #7
james_
Connoisseur
james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3,Oasis, YotaPhone 2, Boox Note2, Mi Pad 4+, Kobo Mini & Forma
You could try a Nook Simple Touch because they are old tech, so available for next to nothing, you can readily root them to run your software ... and the serial port is well documented so you can attach sensors. See one I've converted into a flight computer by attaching a GPS .. https://vimeo.com/67164582 for an ancient video of it in action. Good luck!

Obviously the hardware hacking requires some skill in soldering (not much, I'm useless!) but you may not need that if you just want to run an android weather app permanently on the device.

Otherwise, if you're in Europe just buy a device with Meteotime transmission receiving capability. Good weather forecast no matter where you are, and no internet connection required.
james_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 10:56 AM   #8
Albyr
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
But actual eink gadgets have no sensors. I have 3 different mono LCD "weather" + clock devices. Perfectly readable without backlight and run on a CR2032 cell.

It's not like a book where you are reading for hours.
I want something that pulls information from the internet. I have specific requirements re: lighting, so LCD no good.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:10 AM   #9
baljo
Connoisseur
baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Sony Reader PRS-650, GoodEReader 13.3", Onyx Boox Max2
Quote:
I want something that pulls information from the internet. I have specific requirements re: lighting, so LCD no good.
Don't know if this fits your requirements and budget, basically you need to buy a Waveshare e-ink display and a rPi, I've been using this myself for a year. Unless you are satisfied with the software available from the github-link, you obviously need to develop your own software, e.g. in Python. There are probably other solutions available as well for this particular e-ink display.
baljo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 11:38 AM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I know it's out of date but see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=194376

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 12:23 PM   #11
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Agree Nook Simple Touch might be a good choice. Cheap, rooted with Android, stable, easy to install Relaunch. If it doesn't work out, it's so cheap it's no biggie.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote