Notices

Old 10-17-2021, 02:46 PM   #6556
fanfictioneer
Enthusiast
fanfictioneer doesn't litterfanfictioneer doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
Sending myself an email containing a copy-paste of the email text you previously posted works for me.

Without more info, I can't help you. If there's a different issue, I'll need to see email(s) with the problematic links.[snip]
Big thanks! With the latest version (probably imap fetcher thing?) and me just having 24 unread mails from royalroad, the issue is now resolved.

Much obliged!
fanfictioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 03:19 PM   #6557
fdwojo
fdwojo began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Note20 Ultra, Kindle Fire HD10
I've been a Calibre user for my Kindle Books for quite a while, but even before that I was using FFDL (FanFictionDownLoader). Normally, I was almost exclusively FFDL, but lately (since July?) I've been thinking I'd like to get my FanFiction in a more organized state. There was a time about a year ago when I started trying out Calibre with FanFicFare and I thought it worked out pretty well. Although I didn't like the covers it brought in (too small) and the title page with info about the story was not as helpful. So, I didn't get too much into it.

Admittedly, I haven't read a story on FanFiction.net through my web browser since I first discovered FFDL in 2010, (and I really don't want to have to go back).

But now, with my desire to get more organized, I was trying FanFicFare again, and as I'm sure you're all aware, the Cloudflare Captcha error is biting me big time.

If I understand the workaround correctly, I need to first tell Calibre and FanFicFare where my browser cache is. Then I need to bring up my browser and view each page (chapter) of each story that I intend to download first before I can attempt to download it via FanFicFare/Calibre?

Is this a correct assumption on my part? Sadly, if this is the case, I'll probably still stick with FFDL because I can avoid all the extra time it takes to view each story from first to the latest chapter in order to be able to download it in FanFicFare.

Please tell me I'm wrong? (For me, I'm lucky because I don't read stories on any other website then FanFiction.net)

I'm sorry if I'm ranting and raving, it's just seems so frustrating.

By the way, I saw the posting about the "FlareSolverr" workaround. Unfortunately, it only uses a single line to describe how to use it with Windows, and it didn't succeed.

Last edited by fdwojo; 10-17-2021 at 03:25 PM.
fdwojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2021, 04:18 PM   #6558
serpi
serpi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Is there anyway to merge fandom tags/metadata in calibre. I'm getting 2-3 fandom tags for what is essentially one fandom
serpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 04:28 PM   #6559
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpi View Post
Is there anyway to merge fandom tags/metadata in calibre. I'm getting 2-3 fandom tags for what is essentially one fandom
Code:
replace_metadata: 

category=>(^Elder Scroll series$|^Elder Scrolls$|Elder Scrolls Online|An Elder Scrolls Legend: Battlespire|Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind|Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion|Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim)=>The Elder Scrolls
Note that the first two are exact matches; otherwise, "Elder Scrolls" would also capture the first bit of "Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind" and produce unexpected results. Certain punctuation marks also need to be escaped, such as brackets: \(Comics\).

Last edited by ownedbycats; 10-17-2021 at 04:33 PM.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 04:46 PM   #6560
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
fanfiction.net and Cloudflare Solutions

You are far from the only one frustrated with the problem. We've been dealing with since January.

It's been a while, prior conversation about it is back many pages by now, and there have been developments; so I will explain again.

fanfiction.net (ffnet) is blocking FFF using Cloudflare(CF). Whether it's deliberate or incidental isn't known or important. Back in January we were able to get around it for a few months using a library called cloudscraper. Newer versions of cloudscraper, if there are any, are not public--for good reasons. Please do not bother the cloudscraper developer.

Now, the only way I know to get through CF is using a real browser, whether driven by a user or programmatically. FFDL (from fanfictiondownloader.net) and several other tools now package and run an entire browser instance to get around Cloudflare. FFF doesn't because doing that in Calibre on multiple platforms (win/mac/linux) that would be a nightmare that I don't want to deal with.

Instead, FFF offers several options for using cached pages from outside browsers and a couple options for using a proxy browser instance.

For browser caching, you can:
  • Manually download pages in browser
  • Automatically download pages in browser (using WebToEpub or equivalent)
  • Automatically download pages using FFDL
The BrowserCacheFeature wiki page details how to configure FFF to read a cache, there are sections at the bottom for using WebToEpub and FFDL instead of manual page download.

There are two proxies available:
  • nspa_proxy is a third party proxy specifically for FFF, but requires python and chrome
  • flaresolverr is general purpose and has convenient one-stop downloads. This link is as much as I have documented about how to use flaresolverr with FFF.
Both proxies require you to download and run additional program(s), but while running are basically transparent. I use flaresolverr these days.

I personally offer very limited user support for the proxies because it's outside my project and my comfort zone. I've been hoping, in the spirit of open source, that users would step up to help document things. Writing user docs has never been my strong suit.

Since you, personally (fdwojo), are already using FFDL, use ffnet exclusively, and don't sound very pleased with FFF's output anyway, I don't see why you wouldn't just stay with FFDL.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2021, 05:01 PM   #6561
serpi
serpi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Code:
replace_metadata: 

category=>(^Elder Scroll series$|^Elder Scrolls$|Elder Scrolls Online|An Elder Scrolls Legend: Battlespire|Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind|Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion|Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim)=>The Elder Scrolls
Note that the first two are exact matches; otherwise, "Elder Scrolls" would also capture the first bit of "Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind" and produce unexpected results. Certain punctuation marks also need to be escaped, such as brackets: \(Comics\).
okay so I've written the code I Think will work
Code:
replace_metadata: 

category=>(The Witcher \(TV\)|Wiedźmin | The Witcher - All Media Types|Wiedźmin | The Witcher \(Video Game\)|Wiedźmin | The Witcher Series - Andrzej Sapkowski)=>The Witcher
How do I run it? I feel I'm being obtuse about something because when I've wanted to replace metadata I've been deleted the fic and redownloading it so the code and rules applies to it
serpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 05:03 PM   #6562
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Jim - maybe it would be a good idea to link that post in the OP? I've noticed a lot of questions about the Cloudflare problems - presumably they didn't check the FAQ. Having it upfront might help.
Old 10-17-2021, 10:45 PM   #6563
Atherton25
Zealot
Atherton25 can teach chickens to fly.Atherton25 can teach chickens to fly.Atherton25 can teach chickens to fly.Atherton25 can teach chickens to fly.Atherton25 can teach chickens to fly.Atherton25 can teach chickens to fly.Atherton25 can teach chickens to fly.Atherton25 can teach chickens to fly.Atherton25 can teach chickens to fly.Atherton25 can teach chickens to fly.Atherton25 can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdwojo View Post
But now, with my desire to get more organized, I was trying FanFicFare again, and as I'm sure you're all aware, the Cloudflare Captcha error is biting me big time.
If what you're interested in HP and Naruto fanfiction and have a list, I'd be willing to zip them up and send them to you might take a few days. When I work they're *really* long days. But, send me a message and there may be some other ways too.

I do have some others, but the majority of my stuff is between those two fandoms, and I have a pretty extensive library.
Atherton25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 03:05 PM   #6564
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpi View Post
okay so I've written the code I Think will work
Code:
replace_metadata: 

category=>(The Witcher \(TV\)|Wiedźmin | The Witcher - All Media Types|Wiedźmin | The Witcher \(Video Game\)|Wiedźmin | The Witcher Series - Andrzej Sapkowski)=>The Witcher
How do I run it? I feel I'm being obtuse about something because when I've wanted to replace metadata I've been deleted the fic and redownloading it so the code and rules applies to it
Note that if any of those pipes are part of the fandom name you'll want to escape those too:

Code:
 category=>(Pocket Monsters \|\ Pokemon - All Media Types)=>Pokémon
To install it, go to Configure FanFicFare -> personal.ini -> edit personal.ini and paste it under a [defaults] section.

If you've done it right, the text ought to change colour - on dark mode, [defaults] and replace_metadata is purple, category=> is green, and the rest is white. I assume it uses black text in light mode.

For testing - what I do is use Calibre's Add Books > Add Empty Book and create a duplicate of a fic with those fandoms. (I've had some hilarious regex disasters, so I prefer not to run it on my main copy.) Then I run FFF's "update metadata" to make sure they merged correctly. But this won't work if Config -> Custom Columns -> Category is set to "new only."

Last edited by ownedbycats; 10-18-2021 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-20-2021, 12:19 AM   #6565
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

FanFicFare users who read with a Kobo: This may be of interest.
Old 10-20-2021, 02:23 PM   #6566
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

New Test Version

2021-10-20
- Fix for more arbitrary py3 incompatibility(MutableSet). Closes #748
Old 10-21-2021, 02:02 PM   #6567
Tiggy626
Tiggy626 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Request for url to download

I'm not sure if this is the right way to request this, but I'd like to be able to download from http://www.blackraptor.net/.

On a related note, is there a way for me to look at this ENORMOUS thread to see if there are questions already answered about my issue?

Thanks for any help.

Tiggy626
Tiggy626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 03:03 PM   #6568
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggy626 View Post
I'm not sure if this is the right way to request this, but I'd like to be able to download from http://www.blackraptor.net/.

On a related note, is there a way for me to look at this ENORMOUS thread to see if there are questions already answered about my issue?
I did look, that's not a very good candidate site--it looks like it's flat page site without any significant metadata or automated organization. I would also direct you to the first FAQ.

There's a 'Search this thread' function, although is the third different 'search' on the page. And Google does index mobileread.
Old 10-21-2021, 03:11 PM   #6569
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggy626 View Post
There's the "search this thread," but it can be a bit fussy and sometimes arbitrarily reject words. So when that fails I use Google with site:mobileread.com "fanficfare" my search terms.
Old 10-22-2021, 01:01 AM   #6570
Ser4nb2LUY6e
Connoisseur
Ser4nb2LUY6e began at the beginning.

Device: Moon+ Reader Pro on Android
Would it be possible to add a custom column that records how long the last download/update of a book took?
Ser4nb2LUY6e is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fanfiction