daballliemo
daballliemo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Yup, up and running again. Thanks for the quick respons
daballliemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 02:41 PM   #92
13xforever
Connoisseur
13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H₂O & iPad Pro 2020 12.9"
So the plugin stopped working some weeks ago (at least on Windows). Running tests shows problem with urllib failing to make the connection

Code:
Failed to make identify query: 'https://www.kobo.com/search?Query=Turn+Coat+Jim+Butcher&fcmedia=Book&fclanguages=all'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 1238, in do_open
  File "http\client.py", line 1347, in getresponse
  File "http\client.py", line 307, in begin
  File "http\client.py", line 268, in _read_status
  File "socket.py", line 669, in readinto
  File "ssl.py", line 1241, in recv_into
  File "ssl.py", line 1099, in read
socket.timeout: The read operation timed out
Seems like if request doesn't have at least Accept, Accept-Language, and Accept-Encoding, it will fail with timeout

Adding this in __init__.py in identify() and download_cover() seems to fix some tests (some times (?); tbh this smells like cloudflare anti-bot protection or something)
Code:
        br.set_current_header('Accept', 'text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8')
        br.set_current_header('Accept-Language', 'en-US,en-UK,en')
        br.set_current_header('Accept-Encoding', 'gzip')
but it's not enough to fix the plugin (still no metadata or cover search results)

further testing shows that if you bump timeout to 60, it improves the rate of successfull responses dramatically (even though it never waits for 60 or even 30 seconds; it's a mystery)
and with that I made it work in UI as well

Last edited by 13xforever; 10-10-2021 at 04:35 PM.
13xforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2021, 10:40 PM   #93
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I'll have a look, but it might be a few days. It appears that it has stopped working since the last time I added a book from Kobo. And it is only partly failing. The search seems to be what is failing the most. Updating a book if you have the id is still working.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 05:46 AM   #94
13xforever
Connoisseur
13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It didn't work for me at all (searching metadata by isbn, or kobo id, nor covers). But because it's some heuristics on cloudflare (?) side, it can work differently depending on geographical location or something
Old 10-16-2021, 06:04 PM   #95
josephyw
josephyw began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Good evening! Thanks for your continued efforts in developing this plugin. While it's being updated, I was just curious how we search by Kobo ID. Is it as simple as saving an ID like

Code:
kobo:beautiful-world-where-are-you-1
to the Ids field and then clicking the download metadata button? If so, that is not working for me, either.
josephyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2021, 10:23 PM   #96
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephyw View Post
Good evening! Thanks for your continued efforts in developing this plugin. While it's being updated, I was just curious how we search by Kobo ID. Is it as simple as saving an ID like

Code:
to the Ids field and then clicking the download metadata button? If so, that is not working for me, either.
That should work. The logs show it timing out. It was working the other day, so something must have changed since.
Old 10-17-2021, 11:49 AM   #97
13xforever
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephyw View Post

Code:
kobo id is the last segment of the book uri

you can also add prefix in the settings, so it's easier to fill in manually with righ-click on the paste menu button

Old 10-17-2021, 09:44 PM   #98
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13xforever View Post
kobo id is the last segment of the book uri

you can also add prefix in the settings, so it's easier to fill in manually with righ-click on the paste menu button

Much simpler is to copy the URL to the clipboard and simply click that button. That will create the identifier from the URL for many metadata sources and any identifiers you have defined a rule for. Not all the metadata source plugins support this, but, all the ones that I maintain should.
Old 10-26-2021, 02:36 PM   #99
Mihawk
Mihawk began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Much simpler is to copy the URL to the clipboard and simply click that button. That will create the identifier from the URL for many metadata sources and any identifiers you have defined a rule for. Not all the metadata source plugins support this, but, all the ones that I maintain should.
It does not work either… in my case
Mihawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 07:55 PM   #100
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mihawk View Post
It does not work either… in my case
What doesn't work? Using the button to create the Kobo identifier from the clipboard? If so, can you give me some examples of URLs that didn't work.

If you meant the Kobo metadata source plugin still doesn't download the metadata once you have the identifier, that seems to have changed since the original reports. This stopped working a few days after the initial problem was reported. I think Kobo was in the midst of moving things to Akamai, and there were a few days were both were working.

I have had a brief look at this, but, haven't been able to spend enough time to see how to fix it.
Old 10-27-2021, 04:11 AM   #101
Mihawk

Quote:
What doesn't work? Using the button to create the Kobo identifier from the clipboard? If so, can you give me some examples of URLs that didn't work.

If you meant the Kobo metadata source plugin still doesn't download the metadata once you have the identifier, that seems to have changed since the original reports. This stopped working a few days after the initial problem was reported. I think Kobo was in the midst of moving things to Akamai, and there were a few days were both were working.

I have had a brief look at this, but, haven't been able to spend enough time to see how to fix it.
for example, i put the URL of the kobo website (even the us website does not work) and then I click on download metadata, but no kobo info appears
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kOBO.PNG
Views:	134
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	189854  
Old 10-27-2021, 06:29 AM   #102
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
for example, i put the URL of the kobo website (even the us website does not work) and then I click on download metadata, but no kobo info appears
It is working here. I tried the URL you have with no issues. That is:

Code:
https://www.kobo.com/es/es/ebook/the-complete-witcher-novels
as well as the Australian version:

Code:
https://www.kobo.com/au/en/ebook/the-complete-witcher-novels
As does the generic:

Code:
https://www.kobo.com/ebook/the-complete-witcher-novels

What version of calibre and the plugin are you using?
Old 10-27-2021, 07:13 AM   #103
Mihawk

Quote:
It is working here. I tried the URL you have with no issues. That is:

Code:
https://www.kobo.com/es/es/ebook/the-complete-witcher-novels
as well as the Australian version:

Code:
https://www.kobo.com/au/en/ebook/the-complete-witcher-novels
As does the generic:

Code:
https://www.kobo.com/ebook/the-complete-witcher-novels

What version of calibre and the plugin are you using?
Calibre 5.30
Plug-in version 1.8.2

I put the url and no results found from kobo, everything comes from Amazon
Old 10-27-2021, 07:24 AM   #104
Mihawk

Quote:
Calibre 5.30
Plug-in version 1.8.2

am I doing something wrong? First two options are from amazon and the third from Google
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobo2.PNG
Views:	137
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	189859  
Old 10-27-2021, 09:57 AM   #105
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Calibre 5.30
Plug-in version 1.8.2

Quote:
am I doing something wrong? First two options are from amazon and the third from Google
I think there has been a misunderstanding.

Putting it simply, the Kobo Books Metadata source plugin does not work. Something has changed in the way that the Kobo store is hosted that is blocking the download of pages from them. At this point I have no real idea what it is or how to fix it. I think it will be related to using Akamai for hosting or caching, but, have not had a real chance to look at it.

In my last post, I am only commenting on how to create the Kobo identifier. If you have the Kobo Books Metadata source plugin installed, if you have a URL for a book from the Kobo store, when you click the paste button it should add the Kobo books identifier. That does not appear to be happening for you. The only thing I can think of is that you are clicking in a way that presents the menu, and have a "URL" option that you are choosing.

But, even if you have the identifier, you will not be able to get the metadata from Kobo. Right now, it is only useful to let you click in the details pane and go to the page. Hopefully I will be able to fix the metadata source plugin so the metadata can be retrieved.